Asthma and running (Read 166 times)

Docket_Rocket

Bronchitis is a virus, asthma is not.  Also, I think the phlegm on the asthma is clear.  I had plenty of "bronchitis" and "chest colds" that now I realize were asthma.  I had a chest cold that gave me a cough that lasted 7 months.  These are all signs of possible asthma.  I didn't have symptoms at all until I was tested (except for the numerous chest colds).  From what my doctor told me, numerous chest colds and bronchitis a year could be misdiagnosed asthma episodes.  If you doubt it, have another doctor check you out.

Good luck at the follow up appointment!

OK but how do the know it is asthma and not bronchitis?  Or something else?  I had a bad bad cold, I got a cough that lingered.  Outside of having a cold, I have never had ANY symptoms that seemed like "asthma" until I was put on the medication.  I've never had asthma post runs or anything that seemed to cause breathing difficulties ever.  So this diagnosis seemed very ?  Especially since the doctor delivered it in exactly that tone. " So......asthma??"

Technically I passed the peak flow test before she even gave me the neb.  I guess I look at corepowers case as EXACTLY why I think it was a rather....hasty diagnosis.  I didnt even meet the criteria for asthma

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bronchitis is a virus...

FWIW - bronchitis is often caused by viruses, but not necessarily. It's simply an inflammation of the mucous membranes of the bronchi, which can have many causes, including bacterial infection and things like smoking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchitis

Docket_Rocket

Thanks for the clarification.  That was my understanding (that it was a virus) but I knew I was leaving something out and didn't remember what.  The difference is that asthma is not caused by anything like that but the inflammed area is the same.

FWIW - bronchitis is often caused by viruses, but not necessarily. It's simply an inflammation of the mucous membranes of the bronchi, which can have many causes, including bacterial infection and things like smoking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchitis

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

The difference is that asthma is not caused by anything like that but the inflammed area is the same.

Asthma may not have a viral or bacterial source but it can absolutely have a smoking, particulate or other air pollution source just as can bronchitis.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Docket_Rocket

Which is why I think they are so easily misdiagnosed between each other, no?  My doctor believes I was misdiagnosed for years and now we're dealing with some scarring tissue (bronchii that might never go back to the way it was).  At least mine is mild.  I know others are way worse than me.

Edit:  I think mine came from smoking (not mine, my parents).  I grew up with two smokers, both of which used to smoke close to me 24/7....

Asthma may not have a viral or bacterial source but it can absolutely have a smoking, particulate or other air pollution source just as can bronchitis.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

A Saucy Wench

Well....90% sure not asthma. Completed 2 rounds of pulmonary function testing and both came back negative.  Response to inhaled steroids was ZERO percent.

Hmm....maybe we can start looking elsewhere finally

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

That's good news! So...what is it then?

Damaris, my dad also smoked like a chimney. Oh yeah, and we had a cat. I don't know that any of that caused it, but it sure didn't help keep it under control. The solution was when dad was smoking and my asthma was bothering me, I should go in the other room. And don't let the cat sleep with me. I'm sure none of that was connected with all those middle of the night ER visits. But I couldn't eat chocolate, because apparently that aggravates it. WTF were those people thinking? (Do I have repressed anger from 40 years ago?)

Dave

A Saucy Wench

That's good news! So...what is it then?

Well, that is the question isnt it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Edit:  I think mine came from smoking (not mine, my parents).  I grew up with two smokers, both of which used to smoke close to me 24/7....

I am certain that most of my own asthma issues were the result of 2nd-hand smoke.  And now allergies simply exacerbate things.  I have given up on running the largest 25k in the US ever again, even though it's practically in my back yard.  3x running it in the middle of asthma/allergy Hell and I'm not willing to train to run while sick ever again.  Pity, since it's a really fun race.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(Do I have repressed anger from 40 years ago?)

Don't feel bad or guilty.  I don't.  I have a lot of anger (but not guilt for feeling the way I do) towards my folks for the smoking thing...for fuck's sake, my mom was an RN!  Now they are in crap health of their own making and have never owned a home due to shit financial decisions.  I have a really hard time feeling any pity for them.  My sister is far from wealthy and has owned a home since she was in her late 20s.  She also never ever smoked near her kids before she quit.  It took a stroke a few years back to make my dumbass father quit. Roll eyes

When parents make decisions that negatively affect the lives of their kids...forever...well, they damned well deserve the open criticism.  It makes me irate that I've been saddled with an incurable lung disease because they were stupid fucks when the dangers of smoking were known.

~ Sarah Kay

My dad actually quit smoking years ago, although after I left home. When he told me, on one hand I was proud of him, on the other hand I was like "you couldn't have done that when I lived here?". He also said something funny to me recently - "you always complain about inheriting my health problems (high cholesterol/heart disease risk factors, bad back, etc.), but you should be thanking me if you inherit my longevity". At first I thought that was a crazy statement, but I realized although he smoked for 40 years, never exercised & literally never ate a green vegetable; had a heart attack, valve replacement & bypass surgery, he is sitting there at 82. Maybe not a picture of health, but he gets around. So based on that and the way I have taken care of myself, I guess am going to live to 200.

By the way Kirsten - where in West MI are you?

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

By the way Kirsten - where in West MI are you?

Montague, for now.  Moving to Grand Haven in early April.

~ Sarah Kay

Montague, for now.  Moving to Grand Haven in early April.

Nice areas both! I am in the Detroit area, but spent plenty of time all over the western part of the state. Although not so much this time of year, it's sort of summer family vacation country to us. And I did the Grand Rapids Marathon last year, for my first full. Same day as Detroit, but that registration closed before I got around to signing up. And although not as conveniently located for me, GR was a very nice (smaller) event.

Dave

jamlevasseur29

As a runner with asthma, let me clarify.  Asthma is usually caused by an allergic reaction.  I have allergy related, exercise induced asthma.  So when running, expecially in the spring and fall, my bronchiole tubes constrict.  To have an asthma attack it feels like trying to breeath through a straw.  IF you had asthma, you would know it already. It sounds like a lingering case of inflammation that will resolve itself.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice areas both! I am in the Detroit area, but spent plenty of time all over the western part of the state. Although not so much this time of year, it's sort of summer family vacation country to us. And I did the Grand Rapids Marathon last year, for my first full. Same day as Detroit, but that registration closed before I got around to signing up. And although not as conveniently located for me, GR was a very nice (smaller) event.

The GR marathon was the 3rd (of 3) I did.  Very nice, indeed.  I've run that HM 2x, as well -- but before they changed the HM course to run partly on that new paved path.

You should come run the Old Boys' Brewhouse Oktoberfest race in late Sept (HM and full).

~ Sarah Kay