How to respond to achilles tightness? (Read 1130 times)

heather85

Okay, on this morning's run, I had two sharp bits of pain in my right achilles, and since it has just felt really tight (no pain, but doesn't feel like left leg either).

Never have had this problem before.

I've been running 13-14 years without overuse injuries (that required time off running) and don't want to start now.  However, I've always reacted very strongly to any pain/unusual tightness in the IT or foot or whatever, never felt this before and not sure what to do. 

heather85

(Oh and last week's jump was a little misleading.  I'm not training for anything so  consistency isn't so strong right now but the 12 weeks before I joined here and started my log were

I did go from mainly flat to a lot of hills in the last week though, so maybe I need to avoid those for a few days.

Feeling the growl again

I did go from mainly flat to a lot of hills in the last week though, so maybe I need to avoid those for a few days.

It could be a lot of things but if this is what changes, this is my guess.  Lay off for awhile then work back into them a little more slowly.  No new shoes, I take it...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Maggie & Molly

I purchased a massage stick which I use post run, every run.  It has helped me quite a bit!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

heather85

I purchased a massage stick which I use post run, every run.  It has helped me quite a bit!

Thanks.  I rolled it out and iced it, it went away and seemed fine, but tightness returned.
            Still hasn't progressed to pain (or had even the little bits of pain it did initially) but tightness is back.  Trying to watch it... thinking about taking next week easy (had planned on cutback anyways, just cutback a little more)