Vancouver HM Race Report. (Read 504 times)

Jeffrey

There were some subtle elevation changes within miles 1-6 miles that seduced me into running 7.30 - 7.45 pace miles for those first six. I hadn't run for 2 days prior to the race so my legs were begging to go. Miles 1-3 were run through an industrialized area that provided a stark contrast to all the green coming up at the park. Took a GU at 5m. We left the city streets and entered Stanley Park. The space and proximity to the water was lovely and felt quite comfortable since I train amongst similar scenery. Miles 7-8 were a little tense; I was wondering where/ what/ the big hill at 8 looked like. The slope increase came right around mile 7.5-8 and was not bad. Mentally I told myself this incline was exactly like the hills I had trained on. I kept a steady pace up the climb to Prospect Point. Unfortunately on the way up I developed 2 evil_stitches that hampered my downhill performance. Miles 9-10 were dominated by stitch_discomfort. Sadly I wasn't comfortable taking advantage of the downhill and running liberally. Took a GU at 10m. I had family cheering me on right outside the park at 11m. Needed some encouragement so that was good timing. I cruised 11 at my comfort pace of 8.00 and tried to prepare mentally for a finishing kick. I took 12 at a slightly higher pace of around 7.30-7.45 and finished up running the last half mile at 7.30ish pace. I saw the official clock time and got excited when I saw 1:44 xx... I tried to kick it. I like the numeral 4. Perhaps it's strange, but I like 4s. I was hoping I could end up with a 1:44 ... first half: 52.00 second half: 52:39 1:44:39 - PR The weather was perfect for the race at 46 degrees, with a gentle rain. Just enough moisture to keep you feeling cooled off. Crowds were great; very encouraging. Music was great. There was quite a variety of sounds: live bands, drummers and d.j.s. Some of the bands were still setting up as we ran by. I appreciated feeling some phat bass from the d.j.s. The course had more than enough water support. Start and finish were well organized. Getting to the race, as well as leaving the race was simple. I am quite happy with this result. I ran my first HM (Seattle) back in November 2006 at 1:55:10.

Lazy idiot

Great job, squid. And congratulations on the 11-minute PR! Shocked Sounds like the race was pretty well organized and a good one to run.

Tick tock

WOW! Nice improvement! Way to go!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I am quite happy with this result.
          You should be! Way to go on breaking 1:45:00 ! (that's my next goal for the HM) Sounds like a fantastic race -- well organized!
          2009: BQ?
            congrats on a smart race and a PR! a little bit of bragging on my part. My mom, who is 55, took 10th out of 191 in her AG!
            Jeffrey

Thanks! It was a well organized race. I would definitely think of running it again in 2008. Smile
              Great job, squid. And congratulations on the 11-minute PR! Shocked Sounds like the race was pretty well organized and a good one to run.
              Jeffrey

Thanks! I hadn't looked at my overall time throughout the entire race since I don't fiddle much with my watch during an event. I wasn't running the /mile numbers through my head either. When I looked up, saw the clock in my finishing sprint and saw 1:44 xx it surprised me + felt really *good*. Smile (I just realized why my final time was such a surprise - they didn't have anyone calling out times at the mile-markers.) You should be able to crack your goal of 1:45, no problem. According to your log you have been putting in the miles! You're right, it was a great race and I would consider running it again. I'd recommend this HM to anyone thinking of an excuse to visit Vancouver. Smile
                You should be! Way to go on breaking 1:45:00 ! (that's my next goal for the HM) Sounds like a fantastic race -- well organized!