Women's running watches-- frustration vent, any advice (Read 219 times)

jojo61397

The last 5-6 years I have purchased Timex Ironman series watches.  Unfortunately, the watches are no waterproof as advertised.  i live near the ocean and several have broken from exposure to water.  Also the bands break.  Well, today, watch number 5 in 3 years band broke.  I contacted Timex to try to get a replacement band.  Come to find out that they ONLY make replacement bands for the men's watches, and not for the women's watches!  They charge the same amount of money for the women's watches, and sometimes even more, because of the fancy women's design.  They have made the mens' watches so large, they no longer fit on my wrists.  So I'm stuck buying the ladies watches! Which cost just as much, if not more, for a lesser quality watch.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good quality watch that has at least a 50 lap memory, 3 alarm clocks, a timer, and "glow" feature, that does not cost an arm and an leg (~$100 or less), and will not fall apart or has easily obtainable replacement parts?  And will fit on a small boned woman?

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
    Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Walk-Jogger

No suggestions here, but I do want to point out that my Timex Ironman Triathlon 150 memory man's watch does not have a replaceable band, it's all one piece, so Timex isn't just sticking it to the ladies with these designs.

My watch was decently waterproof for the first three years, and I wore it in the shower and hot tub regularly without any problems. But then I replaced the battery myself and didn't get the awkward tiny little rubber O-ring back in place exactly right, and now it' s not water tight anymore. 

MTA: What about something like this? It has a replaceable band, 50-lap memory, isn't the largest model out there, and is not too expensive.

Retired &  Loving It

tinman11

Here's what I just bought on Amazon a few weeks ago:

Timex Ironman Sleek 50 lap full size men's watch, # T5K335

It has 100 hour Chronograph w/lap split times, 99 lap counter

100 hour countdown timer

Dated training log w/best lap, average lap, and total time

Water resistant to 100 M

3 alarms

Indiglo

I see it on there for $40.99 today.

Jess runs for bacon

Did you look into the Garmin FR10? At a minimum it is waterproof.

Chantilly75

Garmin F60 comes in a women's size strap. I find it a bit stiff, though. Not sure if it has all the features you want, but it has a lap counter, pace, mileage, virtual training partner, ability to upload to Garmin.com, glow feature.

No GPS, just a foot pod, which is accurate enough if calibrated properly.

You could look up the features on garmin.com to see if it has what you want.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Timex Expedition: $30.  Has all your requirements.  There are a few versions.  The band on mine is cloth/velcro and can be replaced like any watch band.  I've abused mine for 3 years w/o issue -- though I tend not to wear it in the rain a lot / not that I avoid that sorta thing.

MTA: this one is attractive.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

No suggestions here, but I do want to point out that my Timex Ironman Triathlon 150 memory man's watch does not have a replaceable band, it's all one piece, so Timex isn't just sticking it to the ladies with these designs.

My watch was decently waterproof for the first three years, and I wore it in the shower and hot tub regularly without any problems. But then I replaced the battery myself and didn't get the awkward tiny little rubber O-ring back in place exactly right, and now it' s not water tight anymore. 

MTA: What about something like this? It has a replaceable band, 50-lap memory, isn't the largest model out there, and is not too expensive.

I've worn Timex Ironman watches for ~20 years, with a new one every 2-4 years.  In my experience waterproofing has never been an issue..as long as you did not attempt to change the battery.  Many of the newer men's watches DO NOT have replaceable bands.

Frankly, for ~$30, I consider these disposable watches when the band breaks or battery goes dead.  I think I have only ever broken one band.  Then the batteries go dead (2-3 years) I used to try and change them but they NEVER went >1 month before water got in and they went dead.  So now I just pitch them and buy a new one.

Timex is functional for the price and they are pretty durable, but I do not consider them a high-quality product.  However I have become so accustomed to the functionality that I never invest the time in switching brands when it is time for a new watch.

FWIW, once I had one of them go dead in <1 year.  I wrote them an email voicing my disappointment.  They sent me a label to ship them the watch (I did not have a receipt) and they replaced it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Snowdenrun

I have the Timex Expedition. I bought it at REI and I think I paid almost 50. So a bit more expensive than on Amazon but I have no doubts it would be replaced by REI if it crapped out. I have twig wrists and it fits well on me. While I haven't swam with it I do run in pouring down rain frequently and it keeps on ticking. ...I guess I don't know if it has a glow feature.

MTA- because spelling counts Smile

Best Present Ever

i  use the timex ironman watch too.  I'm a woman with a smal wrist.  I have exactly the same problem as you -- the damn wristband breaks and the thing isn't actually waterproof, even from the beginning.  I have been able to get the band changed, though.  I don't know how.  My husband takes it to a jeweler, who says she'll try but might not be able to replace, and then she always can and charges us $10.  It looks like one piece, but isn't really.  And I can't find anywhere to order a replacement band, but the magic jeweler can.

kadenladde

I need a suggestion on watches..As to which one will suite for my mother.Because within three days I have my mother's birthday and I would like to present a watch for her..So can any one help me which brand or which type is more suitable...

best womens luxury watches

an amazing likeness

I need a suggestion on watches..As to which one will suite for my mother.Because within three days I have my mother's birthday and I would like to present a watch for her..So can any one help me which brand or which type is more suitable...

I don't believe your story.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I don't believe your story.

Made me laugh.

steph