Running in the heat (Read 1394 times)

Roadrunner's Apprentice

This is my first summer of running outside (vs. the treadmill) and I'm curious what tips people may have on dealing with the heat.

A few things I'm doing so far:

- trying to listen to my body, slowing my pace when I have to or not going as far as planned

- making sure I drink plenty of water when I finish

- if possible, waiting until evening or dusk when it's a bit cooler

- dri-fit shirts are a real help

Anything else I should be thinking of?  Pretty drenched after my 2 mile easy run just now (93F and humid outside).

Thanks!

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

an amazing likeness

Your list is pretty comprehensive, and represents about all you can do...you will acclimate to it over time.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cntrygal

I also use one of these... I was surprised how well they work. 

http://www.hotheadz.net/copr.html?gclid=CLCU46WzgbECFYcBQAodjyd1Fg

npaden

I also use one of these... I was surprised how well they work. 

http://www.hotheadz.net/copr.html?gclid=CLCU46WzgbECFYcBQAodjyd1Fg

The bandanas or the little disposable mister things?

I ran a 10 mile race this morning with a starting temp of 77 and a finish temp of 81 and I ended up pouring more water on my head at the water stops than I drank by a large margin.  Out of 8 water stops I drank 7 cups of water and poured 15 cups of water on my head.

It helped, but still was a tough run for me.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Cntrygal

Oops Sorry.  I have the bandana and have been using the same one for a couple years.  I bought it at my local Runnings store (like a Farm & Fleet or Fleet Farm).  It stays cool for hours. 

I have one of the bandanas.  I wore it around my neck during my recent ultra.  Chafed after mile ~35, but dipping it in ice water at the aid stations was the most amazing thing ever.  Worth the lost skin. 

If you're in beating sun, a drape hat can help a lot, too.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think that people vary with how heat affects them, and how they feel about it, and also even for the same person I think it can vary -- at least depending on how acclimated the person is, which I'd guess naturally changes as one enters the hot part of the year. What once felt hot to me, now feels cold to me, because of the changing average temperature.

For myself I find that I notice (in a negative fashion) midday direct sunlight, more than I notice heat. (Actually I like the heat, and I know a few other souls in my area who feel the same way about it.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think that people vary with how heat affects them, and how they feel about it, and also even for the same person I think it can vary -- at least depending on how acclimated the person is, which I'd guess naturally changes as one enters the hot part of the year. What once felt hot to me, now feels cold to me, because of the changing average temperature.

For myself I find that I notice (in a negative fashion) midday direct sunlight, more than I notice heat. (Actually I like the heat, and I know a few other souls in my area who feel the same way about it.)

Yes.  As I age I seem to tolerate heat a LOT better than I did when I was younger.  Though I still tolerate it a LOT less well than a lot of people.  Several of my friends and my hubby did an impromptu century ride today.  I was able to join them for the last 56 miles.  By about mile 40 I was battling chills...which is not a good thing when it's hot out.  I was sweating like a horse, taking in fluids as much as possible (sport drink, water, Endurolytes capsules), and still dry-mouthed and a bit queasy.  8.5 hours later and I still have a mild headache and am not peeing all that much, even though I've had several quarts of fluids.

My kid, while on the back of our tandem, seemed pretty impervious to heat.  Doesn't sweat excessively and really not all that bothered by extremes in either direction.  His bedroom is in our upstairs.  It's easily in the 90s up there right now (it's currently 84 downstairs).  He's sound asleep in front of a fan.  At his age I also lived in an old house without A/C and can remember being absolutely miserable at night in the Summer and really struggling with sleep during hot spells.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Roadrunner's Apprentice

Thanks, folks.  My normal workouts are around 3 miles so I'm not out in it a long, long time, but I have certainly felt the difference.  On my 4 mile outing Sunday (96F temp) I took it easy and slowed a full minute/mile off my normal pace, and yesterday (93F) I planned to do 3-3.5 miles and stopped after 2.

Guess like anything else it'll get better as I do it more.

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

After a wipe-out 5K yesterday I decided to bank some more miles with an easy recovery run an hour after the race.  Planning on 6 only made it 4.  I think this is the first time since I got over the first few month learning curve where I actually couldn't complete my intended mileage.

This morning's recovery run felt a lot better, but still a "hard" easy run at almost 10:00 pace.

Is it Winter yet?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Another option is to run in the morning before or at dawn - if you can fit it in your schedule. Its cooler than it is in the evening. I don't have much choice because of the meds I'm on. High temps drive HR to high to fast. So evening runs are out for the most part.

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Morning is the coolest part of the day. It is much cooler at 5am or 6am than at 7pm or even 9pm. I'd suggest running in the mornings, rather than at evening/dusk.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

JimR

Plan your run so as to finish into the wind.  I check the wind conditions prior to heading out on my noon runs.  I can handle a tailwind on the outleg, but if I have a tailwind on return my core temp will skyrocket.  A decent consistent cross wind is also a good friend on a hot day.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Morning is the coolest part of the day. It is much cooler at 5am or 6am than at 7pm or even 9pm. I'd suggest running in the mornings, rather than at evening/dusk.

This came up in another recent thread, but sometimes summer dusk running isn't bad because it's almost always less humid at dusk than in the morning.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

A good sunscreen that can handle sweating is a must for running in the sun although I get that's not what you were looking for.

I find as it gets hotter, I need to pay attention to hydration through out the day, not just after the run. Don't start off the run low on liquid. 

I also find that getting off the sidewalks and pavement can help. There are a couple of routes I run which are mostly gravel paths and dirt which doesn't feel as hot as running on pavement. That might be psychological but the mental part of running is important too!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.