First ultra-length training run (Read 912 times)

My last long run for my marathon training schedule was supposed to be a 28-30 miler tomorrow, but today was forecast to be significantly cooler.  My legs were feeling OK, so I decided to take advantage of the weather and headed for Lake Quannapowitt (also known in some quarters as Lake MILF) this afternoon.

A lap around the lake is just a little over 3.1 miles, and there are several water fountains that eliminate the need to carry water so off in circles I went.  I try to stay on the high side of Galloway's ranges, so I was shooting for 30.

When I finished up my 9th lap, I was still feeling pretty good and decided that if I was feeling OK at 30 that I would continue to 31 for my first 50K run.  It was a pretty boring and uneventful 31 miles, which isn't such a bad thing.  I was pretty stiff when I climbed out of my Jeep at home, and I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow.  But it will be a good sore, one that reminds me of a good run.

The hay is in the barn, I'm glad it's taper time.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Get Lost :)

Congrats! Just last weekend I did my last 30 mile training run before the VT50. Thirteen miles of trails and a constant downpour throughout the entire run -- 6 hours of running, 2,500' of vertical ascent, and not a minute of boredom!

Your run sounds a lot more interesting than mine, and certainly much more challenging than my flat as a pancake circles.  That's gotta be pretty important for an ultra in Vermont, there's not a lot of flat terrain to be found there.  Are you running the 50k or 50 miler?

I ran the Ollie in South Boston last weekend, and it was absolutely pouring.  Five miles was plenty, I can't imagine 30 miles of muddy slippery trails.  At one point I was going to change my username to RainMan, because it always rained on any run of 20 miles or more.  Thankfully that hasn't been the case recently, and Saturday was absolutely perfect.

Hope you get good conditions for next weekend, best of luck to you.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

mikeymike

That's awesome, BadDawg.  Had I known I would have joined you for a lap or two.

Runners run

That's awesome, BadDawg.  Had I known I would have joined you for a lap or two.

Had I known, I would have given you a heads up.  It was pretty much a "what the hell, why not" decision at the last minute based on the weather.

I figured you might be out checking the scenery, so I was keeping an eye out for you.  I am pleased to report that the local MILFs were out in force.  Clingy, stretchy, form-fitting technical fabrics are without a doubt a gift to mankind.  They provided a most welcome diversion and helped me keep a bit of sanity as I ran in circles.

MTA: your new avatar has to be in my all time RA top ten, your daughter does great work Mikey

E.J.

GEEZZZ Dawg --- I was feeling all good about my 15 miler of yesterday - only to find out you more then doubled me...........

31 miles ---- that's great ---  your marathon ought to feel like a sprint....

Champions are made when no one is watching

GEEZZZ Dawg --- I was feeling all good about my 15 miler of yesterday

And well you should John, you "overtrained" in exactly the same proportion that I did.  BayState HM ought to feel like a sprint for you.  Smile

E.J.

Get Lost :)

Your run sounds a lot more interesting than mine, and certainly much more challenging than my flat as a pancake circles.  That's gotta be pretty important for an ultra in Vermont, there's not a lot of flat terrain to be found there.  Are you running the 50k or 50 miler?

I ran the Ollie in South Boston last weekend, and it was absolutely pouring.  Five miles was plenty, I can't imagine 30 miles of muddy slippery trails.  At one point I was going to change my username to RainMan, because it always rained on any run of 20 miles or more.  Thankfully that hasn't been the case recently, and Saturday was absolutely perfect.

Hope you get good conditions for next weekend, best of luck to you.

I'm attempting the 50 miler. It will be my second 50 miler but my first 50 miler race. The other was in pacing duties so I didn't care about time, often circled back for runners, hung out at aid stations, and oh yeah, had a blast. 

I found out about my shoes that they don't deal so well with slippery rocks, which made those miles particularly harrowing and slow. On the streets and in the trails we were often ankle-deep in water. I took one major stumble on the trail because I couldn't see the mess I was stepping in and must have slipped on a rock. 

The race conditions appear to have probably rain. Nothing like the downpour, from the looks of it, but I'm glad I have some long term wet weather training inadvertently under my belt. I think there's a psychological advantage to that. Of course, I'll still have to deal with the fact that the MTB race going on may well trash the course and make it very very difficult to slog through the mud. We'll see -- should be a grand ol' adventure either way! 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow. That sounds cool.

I want to try that.

After I get done with my marathon though Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Dang Dog! Makes this mornings 10.6 and longest yet look silly! Congratulations!

bob e v
                      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.