Bolt blew it (Read 2037 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

False start at Daegu in the 100, DQ.  What about that zero-tolerance rule?

I don't know what to think of it, it's the same for everybody on the line...but at the same time it's a huge change.  Any feedback from Mr Bolt hiimself?

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I just saw a discussion on Universal Sports.  They think the rule has to be changed before London Olympics.  There's big money lost when the biggest star is lost.

Chris T

NBC tried to get an interview with him but he quickly left the stadium. 

Why is it sideways?

I just saw a discussion on Universal Sports.  They think the rule has to be changed before London Olympics.  There's big money lost when the biggest star is lost.

I saw that too. If it means that I can tune in and watch the youth of the world compete, rather than 30 minutes of talking heads discussing the false-start rule, then I'm all in favor of having the rule changed back to what it previously was.

Feeling the growl again

I'm not sure what the best system is here.  Under the old rule the first person got a "freebie", but it was charged to the whole field so after that it was the same situation as today.  If you left everyone have a warning you could have half a dozen attempts to start the race.  Hmm.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'm not sure what the best system is here.  Under the old rule the first person got a "freebie", but it was charged to the whole field so after that it was the same situation as today.  If you left everyone have a warning you could have half a dozen attempts to start the race.  Hmm.

I was lucky enough to go to the Trials in '00 and '04, and there was situation like that, iirc.  It wasn't all six, but it got old real fast--especially when there are multiple rounds.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Feeling the growl again

I was lucky enough to go to the Trials in '00 and '04, and there was situation like that, iirc.  It wasn't all six, but it got old real fast--especially when there are multiple rounds.

I saw one like that two.  And the complaint of the athletes of the other system was that it actually encouraged people to try and jump the gun at first as they were not personally penalized -- everyone was at warning afterwards so it advantaged the one taking the shot at it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Blake's flinch may have set him off.

Video proof.  LR wonders whether it is "The biggest officiating mistake in history."

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

A couple thoughts:

1. It's a pretty small movement from Blake, probably exaggerated by slo-mo HD. It's understandable at least that officials would have missed it.

2. On the other hand, Blake is an excellent starter, probably Bolt's primary competitor, and Bolt is his training partner. If Bolt were focused on anybody at the line--consciously or subconsciously--it would have been Blake.

1. It's a pretty small movement from Blake, probably exaggerated by slo-mo HD. It's understandable at least that officials would have missed it.

No doubt.  Which is why the zero-tolerance false start rule should be reviewed.  Nobody got a second chance: not the officials, not the fastest man in history, not the fans.  It was a lose, lose, lose.  Well, except for Blake who is now a World Champion.

I'd hate to return to the days when it took 15 minutes to start a 100m final, but that would still be better than this--losing the sports biggest star to a bad call.

Runners run

suggestion:

add .02 seconds to the finish time for every false start charged.  In a race decided by fractions of a second I would think this is enough to discourage gamesmanship. 

Nah.  It's a race not a time trial.  First one there wins.

There's no easy solution.

Runners run

kcam

A couple thoughts:

2. On the other hand, Blake is an excellent starter, probably Bolt's primary competitor, and Bolt is his training partner. If Bolt were focused on anybody at the line--consciously or subconsciously--it would have been Blake.

I thought the movement, though small, was even more obvious at full speed.