Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Flavio That workout structure pretty much mirrors Hanson's which is what I've done in the past and would default on. It's easy to go back to what I know so I might change it up just a little to try something new. I don't want to be one of those runners who says how great one specific training coach's plan is just because I've never actually given something else a real shot.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Am I still allowed to post here now that another JMC has joined?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Yes, but we must have a 5k race to determine the true JMC

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

I know it is very late (you have already posted 7 pages!!!) but I decided that I should give a bit of an intro to start the year.

Quick intro: I am Marco, 36 years old, male, married, two kids, a boy and a girl, both aged 8 (twins!!!).

I used to be a proper runner in my teens (but not as fast as many of you guys!!!).

My favourite races were the 800 mt. (PR at 2'06'' in 2003) and the 1,500 (PR at 4'22'' in 2003). as I mentioned last year, when I started university I realised that running would not give me a salary, and that I really needed to focus on my future if I wanted to change my life around. So I stopped running, got a couple of university degrees in Italy and a PhD in Northern Ireland. I have been an academic for a while and then moved into consultancy 2/3 years ago. I started running again in 2013 after about 10 years of stop (during a health check I realised I was at risk if I wasn't going to change my habits and get back in shape) and I decided to run long distances. My first HM was not very well prepared and I finished in 1h 52'. Two years ago I managed to achieve 1h30' (09'   ... I know... ) in the HM and 40' 16'' (again I know!!!) in the 10K. In 2019 I decided to add some miles to my start of the year. I managed a very good Belfast city marathon getting my PR down from over 4 hours to 3:25. Then work and travel took over my life. I tried to keep some training, but didn't manage to beat my PR on the HM or 10k. However, I had fun and managed a few good training sessions. November and December were very low in mileage (but I got a lot of air mileage travelled...)

As predicted last year, my fairly demanding job which gets me on a plane at least once a month and often across the Atlantic got me travelling twice or three times a month. In December I managed a couple of weeks of complete holiday and now I am starting again a full marathon plan (to run the Belfast city marathon on the 3rd of May again.

My 2020 aims are:

- Have 40 weeks of 40+ miles again (last year I managed this for the first half of the year and then let go of the objective...

- Have fun and stay as much injure free as I can (so far in the past 6 years so good, finger crossed)

- Run a full marathon in less than 3h 20'

- Actually get under 40' and under 90' in 10 K and HM respectively.

- possibly get a good 5K under my belt

- improve my body strength (need to get some muscles in the arms as well).

My last week was 42 miles, with a few threshold progressions. This week has started ok, with a good hilly and windy 10 miles (3E, 4T, 3E).

It's good to see all this discussion in the forum, I hope to manage writing more often this year.

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Welcome Marco

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

Am I still allowed to post here now that another JMC has joined?

Yes but you need to change your title. You're neither Benevolent or the Leader.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac -  you need to unlurk urgently if you don't want to lose your identity.

So awesome to see so many new posters, although very hard to keep up. Sad to see a few injuries popping up.  On Running Rogue the other day, Chris was pretty clear in not doing hard workouts back to back - at the worst there should be a day of active rest in between (recovery run, bike, swim etc).

So I'm about 4 weeks out from my planned 10km race, which I want to run at HM pace (I suspect if I feel good I'll pick it up though).  Any thoughts on a training approach?  I guess for it to be a true HM tempo, I need to just continue my HM training and use it as a gauge.  I think if I can hold HMP for 10km with 4 months to go until the race I'll be in good shape.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

kimba

Steve, I’m obviously no training expert, but I’d think that you stick to HM training.  Then, in the race, see if you can hold targeted HM pace for most of the race, and then pick it up if you feel good.  That way, you get the best of both worlds:  you test HM pace for an extended tempo, then go faster to chase a time.  But then again, I flummoxed my threshold repeat miles, so......🤷‍♀️

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks kimba - I think you're right.  I really would like to go under 40 but it's too late for that I'd say and it was always part of playing the long game....just can't help my competitive instincts!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

paul2432

On Running Rogue the other day, Chris was pretty clear in not doing hard workouts back to back - at the worst there should be a day of active rest in between (recovery run, bike, swim etc).

Daniels says it’s OK to do back to back hard workouts as long as it’s a different type.  A week with three hard workouts could be HHEEHEE where the first two hard are intervals and tempo.

watsonc123

Steve - race it at HM pace.  If feeling good at 8km, speed up.

I am the threads first injury.  I have done my left hamstring so will be out of running for a while.  My first ever hamstring injury.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

So many pages already!!!

Welcome to the new year everyone.

I've been very busy with work and the holidays trying to get back in the daily routine.

Intro

I’m Corey 50 yrs Married since 1992 with 2 children: I have stay at home daughter attending community college soon to be 24 and son who is  a junior at Clemson University soon to be 21.  I’ve lived in many place but have settled in South Carolina where I have been since 2006. 

I was active in HS but mainly team sports basketball and football, I ran 1 year of track mainly shorter distances.  I became very inactive during college and early adult years.   I decided to run a 5k in 2010 and then ran my first marathon in 2011 on very little training had a bit of a break after that but have been actively running since about 2016 but really started geting serious in 2017 putting in some higher mileage topping out in 2018 with almost 2100 miles.

Last year 

It was kind of a bust for me, after qualifing for Boston in Dec of 2018 I started 2019 in "great shape" and with a lot of goals.  I started training in Jan and soon started having a lot of pain in my abdomen after workouts to the point I couldn’t sit up, and it hurt to cough or sneeze, somewhere along the line I also injured my groin as well.  Needless to say my training suffered my fitness level has fallen and mileage was way down from 2018.   I believe I ended up in the neighborhood of 1350 running miles last year and about 350 biking.  I only raced 1 true race a 5k early in Jan which ended up being one of the few high points in 2019 after a few years of chasing a sub 20 5k,  I finaly broke it with a 19:59. 

My qualifying time was good enough to get into Boston 2020 and am currently focused on training for it.

Although my fitness is not where I had hoped to be at this point.  I am excited for what this year has in store.

2020 goals

My priorty right now is Boston...I have no specific time goals. I’m training hard putting in more miles each month and I’ll see what I can do based on my training over the next few months.  Any time goals will be a race day decision but I really want to make sure I enjoy the experience.

My other goals for this year: 

Continue to stay healthy > run 2020 miles

PR in the 1 mile target race is in August          Anderson Midnight Flight

PR in HM  target race is in December             Kiawah Island HM

Have a Great year everyone!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

I'll have to go back and catch up on all the pages

Last week I had a lot of time to run but not much of anything else

Mon         (3 runs) 16.5 miles

Tue         16.1 miles

Wed         4.1 miles

Thurs      8.8 miles

Fri           rest

Sat          16.5

Sun          11

Weekly total 73.4 (weekly record high)

mostly all easy miles a couple of tempo and MP miles tossed in.

will be back to a "normal week" this week target between 40-45

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I guess I will finally join before I lose my place!

Jack, age 33, live in NYC. Ran in high school with worse times than I have now, even at the 5K, so I wasn't very good. Tried training for one half marathon in 2013, which I ran a 1:43 in and proceeded to nearly pass out at the end of the race. I needed a volunteer to get me to a place to sit down.

After that terrible race, I took another year off but got back into things more seriously in 2014 when I decided I wanted to train for a marathon. This required me to run a bunch of smaller races as part of NYCM's 9+1 program, which guarantees entry into the race if you run 9 NYRR races the prior year.

I ran my first marathon in 3:12 in 2015. I told myself I would only run one of them because the training seemed so awful, but at the bar that night celebrating the race, I decided I was going to do another 9+1 qualification. After that, I was hooked to running in general.

Here is my mileage history.

2015(est.): 1500

2016: 1281

2017: 1975

2018: 2123

2019: 2635

I've been setting new PRs each year (the beauty of slowly increasing your mileage I guess). My 2018 was great, but 2019 even surpassed that, as I set a PR in every distance I ran.

I'm not really sure what my goal is for 2020. I haven't felt especially motivated, even after taking almost 3 weeks off, so I'm worried that drive I had last year is gone given the huge progress I made last year. I definitely want to get the half marathon time down, and I'd like to take another crack at the 5K time, but the marathon time may be tough to surpass at Boston. Highly doubtful I will run a fall marathon this year.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac Just ride off into the sunset and get old and die. 3:12 debut marathon? Impressive. How about you defend your title at that 5K you won in 2019, and get closer to a 1:14 half? You could even take a new runner (If you want a name I can send it to you) under you wings and guide them to success, OR venture away from JD and try a different training plan just to keep things weird interesting.

I think I need to back off on the hard runs. Monday and Tuesday this week I did the same loop with Tuesday being a faster paced run. Surprised myself that I could still pull out marathon pace after not doing it in a month and it kind of built some confidence I'd be able to turn it up to train for a half marathon. Maybe I should do hill repeats. I hear those are a thing.

VDOT 53.37