2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

slingrunner

I'd love to see a good sub-3 contingent at Philly next year. It's a pretty decent and fast course, and the new RD is making improvements to make it even faster. The two recent changes were (1) moving the HM to Sat which made the course less crowded and eliminated the guessing of which people were going to duck out at at 13 miles and cut to the finish line for the HM, and (2) reducing the number of turnarounds. I believe this went from 3 T/A's down to 2 T/A's in the current course. MLK Drive (West River Dr) and Kelly Drive seemed freshly paved when I ran them over the summer. I know a few women looking for OTQ's and would be seeking a sub-2:45 time at Philly in 2018.

The changes have made it a bit faster, although from a spectator standpoint, the old route (Falls Bridge) was a nice place to see somebody twice within a few minutes.  There is only one 180 on the course now I believe, in Manayunk, as they also eliminated the cone on West River (the turn coming down black hill is not too tight).

The start last year was really different than previously.  Aside from being emptier, there wasn't even a starting clock at the beginning, and it was extremely informal.  The security for entering corrals was gone.  My wacky wind based strategy last year was to start exactly 4 minutes behind the 3:15 pace group and run them down by the beginning of kelly drive to help with the wind (didn't catch them until manayunk so that failed), but I was able to literally step aside 30 feet from the starting point on the grass and wait there 4 minutes which would not have worked in previous years.  In keeping with the disorganization of the race, I tried to talk to people at the Expo about my strategy (If I would be forced to start with my corral) and the answer of the woman supposedly in charge of race organization showed she had no idea how the start was going to look.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

If you can get me a bib, I'd give it a shot  I've be "waitlisted" for two charities so far. oh well. If it's not meant to be, I'll see how the winter goes and might run the local marathon here in May. Or not. I'm liking only running 25-30 miles a week. (Though all this virtual cycling is showing my legs are weak).

I forgot dcv made a sighting too.  You going to keep the Boston streak alive?

GabbyTriBoy

Must Go Faster

I’m sure everyone is thrilled to see Strugglr here, but it just feels weird that Dingo hasn’t joined him. They’re like fish+chips...you can’t have one without the other.

Strugglr - I think IAM kicked your ass because he runs a lot more miles than you. 

Dingo is scared of me. He always talks trash but after I beat him in three straight 10 milers in a 4 month period this spring I think I got the KO on him. Maybe he will prove me wrong and show up for Cherry Blossom for another beating.

IAM just out worked me. Period. I know high mileage doesn't work for everyone but it works for him. He's a solid 1200+ miles ahead of me this year and it showed. I have not found a way to consistently put in 90+ mpw with other life priorities. Unless I figure out how to get 1 more hour in each day I'll give it a few more goes at 70 mpw to try to get under 2:40.

PRs: 5k: 16:45 (04/17) -- 10k: 35:48 (03/18) -- 10m: 58:04 (04/16)  -- HM: 1:17:29 (03/18) -- FM: 2:47:11 (11/17)

Goals: 2:44 FM, 16:29 5k

Next Up: Cherry Blossom 10 (4/19), Boston (04/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Dingo is scared of me. He always talks trash but after I beat him in three straight 10 milers in a 4 month period this spring I think I got the KO on him. Maybe he will prove me wrong and show up for Cherry Blossom for another beating.

IAM just out worked me. Period. I know high mileage doesn't work for everyone but it works for him. He's a solid 1200+ miles ahead of me this year and it showed. I have not found a way to consistently put in 90+ mpw with other life priorities. Unless I figure out how to get 1 more hour in each day I'll give it a few more goes at 70 mpw to try to get under 2:40.

IAM beat you by 6 minutes because he runs more miles than you. Period.

I think you’ve got ability to go 2:45 on 70mpw....but no way will you go under 2:40 on that mileage.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flyrunnr

kram - Good luck tomorrow in the Philly Half! Not sure if you shared a goal, but I'm guessing based on your 2:49 finish at Illinois, you'll be in that 1:18-1:22ish range. Weather looks good!

Half starts at 7:30, my 8K isn't until 10:45... I'll see if I can get out the door and get down there earlier, but you'll be finished by the time I find parking. Smile

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

iamdisappoint

I was going to agree, then I looked: it looks like it takes me ~12 hours to run 100mpw in a week. Weren't you saying you were averaging like 14-15 hours/week when training for the tri this summer?

Previously, I would have said something like "I need to outwork you to close the talent gap", and that's still likely somewhat true. But it was interesting to run that 17:12 off of FM training - that convinced me that I likely could go 16:50 if I trained for the distance. So there might not be as much of a talent gap as I originally thought.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

GabbyTriBoy

Must Go Faster

Yes I was working out for 12-15 hours per week for my Tri this summer. But only running about 45 mpw, 6 hours. I was able to get so much workout time because 5-6 hours was biking which I could do at home while I "watch" the kids. Tri training and 45 mpw made me a slower runner for sure. It was an uphill battle back into straight running but the Tri was worth it.

I never said there was a talent gap Dannyboy. I said I am stronger at short races; fast twitch. You ran a lot of fast intervals during your cycle; 5k to 10k pace. I have a 5k in two weeks and I'm interested to see what I can do since I haven't run faster than 5:50 pace in 7 months. Expectations are low.

PRs: 5k: 16:45 (04/17) -- 10k: 35:48 (03/18) -- 10m: 58:04 (04/16)  -- HM: 1:17:29 (03/18) -- FM: 2:47:11 (11/17)

Goals: 2:44 FM, 16:29 5k

Next Up: Cherry Blossom 10 (4/19), Boston (04/19)

iamdisappoint

I never said there was a talent gap Dannyboy. I said I am stronger at short races; fast twitch. You ran a lot of fast intervals during your cycle; 5k to 10k pace. I have a 5k in two weeks and I'm interested to see what I can do since I haven't run faster than 5:50 pace in 7 months. Expectations are low.

Fair enough. I do wonder if you're actually fast twitch, though. When you say "fast twitch" I think of guys like the aforementioned Dingo and Frank2000, whose shorter race results are markedly better than their longer race results. You don't quite pattern match to them, and your 5k PR is about a 2:41 FM equivalent, without you ever quite hitting "reasonable" mileage to get deep into your potential. It would be fun to find out what a 85-90mpw cycle would do for you.

5k: I gotta think you'll do just fine. The one I'm running tomorrow is supposed to have rain and 20 mph winds. On the plus side, it'll probably be easy to win.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

flyrunnr

Strugglr - I was impressed you were putting in those hours for tri training. I'd like to put in more, but it seems after 10-12, my body starts to break down, that coincides with 75-80 hours per week. I think I need to add some strength or cross-training if I want to get beyond where I am today.

IAM - good luck in the 5K, hopefully you'll be able to make a race with those winds.

I missed my 8K start today. I left my house at 9:00 for a 10:45 start, should have been a 40 minute trip. But traffic on the damn Schuylkill Expressway (I-76) sucks. I got detoured and decided to park a few miles away and run to the start. I took a wrong turn and got a mile away and the saw that the gun was about to go off in 3 min. DNS, oh well. Always another day.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

slingrunner

Well that stinks Flyrunnr.  It seems like you left yourself plenty of time, but I heard they were doing work on 76.  From everything I've seen, they haven't done a very good job with this marathon weekend.  Personally I think the race shirt stinks in comparison to normal too.

Now I'm worried about how early I should be arriving tomorrow.  I usually roll in around 6:30 as I get dropped off and don't like hanging around in the cold wasting nervous energy.

My plan is still to head out with the 3:00 rabbit and see how long I can hold on, and crawl home for a BQ-4 at least hopefully (3:06).  I'm lucky to have 3 people out on the course for me (1 on a bike), so I'll be able to avoid many of the water stops and pickup or discard clothing as necessary.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

and your 5k PR is about a 2:41 FM equivalent, without you ever quite hitting "reasonable" mileage to get deep into your potential. It would be fun to find out what a 85-90mpw cycle would do for you.

Wait a sec - Isn't his 5k PR 16:45? Not that we aren't all speriments of 1, but I don't think 16:45 = 2:41. I think his Prs (as listed in the sig anyway) are pretty in-line with expectations.

I'm sure there's all kinds of background history and context I'm missing, just chiming in as someone with reasonably close PRs to his.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                        Swim5599

16:45 on pretty much any calculator gives you 2:40 to 2:41 mid.  The issue is those calculators are only good at like 100 plus mpws.  So ideally Strugglr would be there on higher mileage

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

16:45 on pretty much any calculator gives you 2:40 to 2:41 mid.  The issue is those calculators are only good at like 100 plus mpws.  So ideally Strugglr would be there on higher mileage

That seems to be a pretty significant issue, as most of humanity has to, you know, work and stuff. Or maybe I just gave up on marathons too early (or not - they suck). Anyway, carry on.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                            paul2432

I'm lucky to have 3 people out on the course for me (1 on a bike), so I'll be able to avoid many of the water stops and pickup or discard clothing as necessary.

Taking outside aid is cheating. it could get you disqualified.  (probably not, unless you are winning the race).

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yep. I think Strugglr and IAM are similar in talent from what I’ve seen posted over the years. But the marathon gap is widening. I don’t think he needs to go 100 plus, but a couple of 85/90mpw cycles would see a big improvement and with his strength training I’m sure he could handle it. If he was able to bike 5/6 hours at home for tri training then he could always buy a treadmill and ‘watch’ the kids!

Good luck Slingrunner and anyone else racing!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)