Carb Depletion/Carb Loading before first marathon (Read 1460 times)

Christirei

I am running my first marathon this April and my goal time is a 3:45. Modest goal I hope and attainable for the level of training that I have been able to accomplish so far. I have searched briefly through the forums for info about carb depleting and loading before marathons and didn't find a lot of info. For a first time marathoner, especially for someone who is just trying to go sub 4:00 is it worth it to worry that much about carbs in the week prior to the marathon? I always try to eat a few more carbs the day before my long run, but should I focus even more on carbs leading up to the actual race? Thoughts are appreciated!

The usual advice these days is that the depletion thing is of marginal benefit (and has some risks associated with it) - but it's worth doing the carb loading thing for ~3 days before the event.

First marathon, don't worry about it.

Here are some mistakes to not make.

Get off my porch

The usual advice these days is that the depletion thing is of marginal benefit (and has some risks associated with it) - but it's worth doing the carb loading thing for ~3 days before the event.

My Internet reading and asking-of-experienced-marathoner-friends research confirms this.

Cool

Good luck!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

First marathon, don't worry about it.

Here are some mistakes to not make.

Nice list, Dirk. It illustrates how humbling the marathon can be. I haven't yet been humbled to the extent you have, but I'm sure it will come.

Kalsarikännit

Finally.  The definitive list on how to fuel during a race.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Finally.  The definitive list on how to fuel during a race.

Now that is fantastic.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dammit, I'm hungry!  I didn't even eat any pączki today! Cry

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kalsarikännit

Dammit, I'm hungry!  I didn't even eat any pączki today! Cry

I had two.  Blush

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had two.  Blush

*pout* I will make up for it with an awesome plate of meatloaf & mashed potatoes and some pints at a great pub for DH's birthday, tomorrow.  I have to keep reminding myself of that.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I read that as *poot*

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I read that as *poot*

That comes after dinner.

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

That comes after dinner.

...the best way to work off the pączki.

Ex runner

Christirei

So if I am reading you guys right, carbs the days before the race, meatloaf during the race, and some alone time with my hubby afterwards and I should be good to go?   Wink

DoppleBock

1)  1970 - East German method - 7 days prior to race do a brisk 80-90 minute run - Then take less than 20 grams of carbs a day for the next 4, then for 3 days take extra carbs and hydrate well - Result is 200+% Glycogen.  But research has shown the body will just burn a higher % glycogen when you run So no real benefit over some other methods.

2)  Modified Depletion Method - Eat 50% normal carbs for 4 days and 150-200% normal for 3 days - Hydrate well.  This gives 190+% normal glycocen levels.

3)  Just carbo load - Just eat extra carbs the 3-4 days before race.  I like biggest carb day 2 nights before race - Hydrate well.  This gives 150+% normal glycogen levels.

4)  Austrailian method - Do the "Just Carbo Load" but add this workout the mornig before race.  Do an Easy 30 minute run.  Add 3 minutes at a bit faster than LAT pace in the last 5 minutes - A short recovery and then 30 seconds at 1 mile pace.  immediately consume 800-1000 calories of carbs (Within 10 minutes) in the next 2 hours get another 600-800 - Hydrate well.  This gives 200+%

5)  Just go to the pasta feed the night before - hydrate well.

I would suggest #3 or # 5 for you.  These do not cause the body a lot of stress duing the week of the marathon.  Some research has indicated that the body works with what it has, so the more glycogen in your system the higher rate it will burn and there is not a lot of advantage to #1 and #2.  Just do not show up in a depleted state.

I have used all successfully and have never hit the wall in 26 attempts.  If I am hell bent on a PR - I would likely use #4.  I do not think i would ever use #1 again.  It creates so much stress and its hard for your muscles to recover in your taper.

PS - I also avoid most high fiber food the last 36 hours.

I hope that helps

I am running my first marathon this April and my goal time is a 3:45. Modest goal I hope and attainable for the level of training that I have been able to accomplish so far. I have searched briefly through the forums for info about carb depleting and loading before marathons and didn't find a lot of info. For a first time marathoner, especially for someone who is just trying to go sub 4:00 is it worth it to worry that much about carbs in the week prior to the marathon? I always try to eat a few more carbs the day before my long run, but should I focus even more on carbs leading up to the actual race? Thoughts are appreciated!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !