Light AND Cushioned (Read 657 times)

bhearn

Saucony Fastwitch 4. Oh right, discontinued, dammit.

xhristopher

Been complaining to Nike on twitter bout the fact that my Lunar Glide 5s weigh more than my 4s. They retort with their claimed weight for size 9s. I've escalated the situation to twitpics. Yeah, that serious.

MTA: Photo

and ... Before you get all "those shoes are heavy" take note that I'm size 12.5.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Been complaining to Nike on twitter bout the fact that my Lunar Glide 5s weigh more than my 4s. They retort with their claimed weight for size 9s. I've escalated the situation to twitpics. Yeah, that serious.

How many tenths of an ounce are we bitching about here?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Saucony Virrata? I haven't worn them but I am probably going to give them a try to replace my Mirage 2 and/or Kinvara 2's which are both getting pretty long in the tooth. Word is they pack a ton of forefoot cushioning (which is where I need it) into s really light and neutral package. Size up a half size from the Mirage.

As you're in on the "word", what would be the equivalent great-forefoot-cushioning shoe with a touch of stability (like PureCadence level of touch)?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xhristopher

Clive, it's false advertising right? Let's get a class action suit going so I can get an eight cent reward and some lawyer can buy a vacation home from the settlement.

On principle, newer, more expensive versions should be lighter versions of their predecessors.  Someone may point to an exception, of course.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I also look for a light cushioned shoe when I buy.

Saucony Virrata? I haven't worn them but I am probably going to give them a try to replace my Mirage 2 and/or Kinvara 2's which are both getting pretty long in the tooth. Word is they pack a ton of forefoot cushioning (which is where I need it) into s really light and neutral package. Size up a half size from the Mirage.

I have the Virrata and LOVE them. They are very light (just over 6oz) and have more cushion then the Kinvara 4's I tried on before buying them. I also have a pair of the PureFlow's, these shoes are wide and stable with great grip even in the rain on a wooden boardwalk. But they felt stiff, a bit sluggish and heavy and kept making my feet ache until I removed the Brooks insert. Now they feel great! Flexible, light and comfy the way it should be. I have since tried on all of the Brooks Pure line and its the same, they all feel perfect without that stupid insert!!

I also look for a light cushioned shoe when I buy.

I have the Virrata and LOVE them. They are very light (just over 6oz) and have more cushion then the Kinvara 4's I tried on before buying them. I also have a pair of the PureFlow's, these shoes are wide and stable with great grip even in the rain on a wooden boardwalk. But they felt stiff, a bit sluggish and heavy and kept making my feet ache until I removed the Brooks insert. Now they feel great! Flexible, light and comfy the way it should be. I have since tried on all of the Brooks Pure line and its the same, they all feel perfect without that stupid insert!!

I am so happy to see someone else say that about the Pureflow. They felt like flippers to me! Stiff and unresponsive. I gave mine away or I would try taking the inserts out. Maybe I'll try the Virrata. I was actually going to recommend the Kinvaras to you Nader - I like light and cushion and really like them...but with the Virratas getting such great reviews maybe I'll try them myself.

I find the Pure Flow to have VERY poor traction and feel that all the Pure series outsoles are "slippy".   I wear test for Brooks and that is always one of my comments. Wet boards, leaves or even smooth, wet asphalt can be an issue.  I like the Flows pretty well, but prefer Altra.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

On principle, newer, more expensive versions should be lighter versions of their predecessors.  Someone may point to an exception, of course.

To wit: Nike Lunarglide+ 5.

-- Dick LeBeau

As you're in on the "word", what would be the equivalent great-forefoot-cushioning shoe with a touch of stability (like PureCadence level of touch)?

I don't know since that's not what I generally look for.

Runners run

On principle maybe but in reality this has not been my experience. It seems like if a lightweight and simple shoe achieves mainstream success the shoe company then tinkers with it and adds a bunch of technology to make appeal to an even broader audience. This results in subsequent releases actually gaining a bit of weight.

Runners run

Me, again.  And breathable, please!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Me, again.  And breathable, please!

Nike Free...?  I run in the 5.0 (formerly known as the Free Run+).  The 4.0 and 3.0 have lower heel/forefoot ratio.  I believe they also make "Breathe" models.

One caveat -- I am now wearing the men's Free 5.0 when I could still cram my foot into the women's Free Run+ 3.  The sole is the same for these shoes, but when they came out with the 5.0 they cut the upper a lot snugger.  The men's is still none too roomy, so if you're looking for a lot of forefoot room this may not be the shoe for you.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay