Saying "Hey!" and looking for motivation.... (Read 201 times)

Its been a long while since I have spent much time on RunningAhead.  I had foot surgery almost a year ago and have also battled with gout off and on over the last couple of years.  On top of that, my running partner had to have back surgery in early summer this year and is advised by his doctor to never run again.  Work and life are in the way, as always, but I'm feeling motivated and committed to get back at running.  I resurrected my old C25K plan that I used back in 2005 to become a runner and started with Week 1, Day 1 today.......and also registered for a 5K in mid-February.

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hey!" and see if anyone has any sage advice to keep my focus and my motivation.

Cheers!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

an amazing likeness

The most important step of each day's run is the first one out the door. That's all I've got for ya...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Look for the 2018 mileage game. There are all levels of runners involved--those doing a few hundred miles per year to those doing 3-4 thousand miles per year The key thing in the game is consistency, regardless of how many miles you run.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Look for the 2018 mileage game. There are all levels of runners involved--those doing a few hundred miles per year to those doing 3-4 thousand miles per year The key thing in the game is consistency, regardless of how many miles you run.

Yup.  I had the privilege of being on the most awesome team ever, last year -- and we won.  This year I bailed and next year will likely be recovering from surgery a couple of times early in the year, so I can't wait to get back to it in 2019.  Cyber teammates are fun to have and a great motivator.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

kkittenkat

English Villian

Hey!

kkittenkat

English Villian

The most important step of each day's run is the first one out the door. That's all I've got for ya...

Unless it's very icy.

kkittenkat

English Villian

day's = day is?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Unless it's very icy.

C’mon, you put on winter/ice non slip shoe cover spikes on your running shoes and get out the door. Don’t be so negative!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

C’mon, you put on winter/ice non slip shoe cover spikes on your running shoes and get out the door. Don’t be so negative!

Agreed.  I have always run outdoors during the winter.  However, I haven't ever used spikes.  I was out just this week after a night of freezing rain (rare here) and black ice was everywhere.......made me think maybe I should get a set of spikes.  Anyone have any recommendations for what brand/style of spikes to get?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Agreed.  I have always run outdoors during the winter.  However, I haven't ever used spikes.  I was out just this week after a night of freezing rain (rare here) and black ice was everywhere.......made me think maybe I should get a set of spikes.  Anyone have any recommendations for what brand/style of spikes to get?

I’ll have to admit that I hit the gym treadmill when it’s really bad outside, but I’ve got Yaktrax ice grips for walking. www.yaktrax.co.uk

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Sunflower747

First year I plan to train through winter.. i have been considering getting the spikes but I live in Boston where some of the roads will always be at least partially shoveled (im guessing?). Would you still recommend the spikes for city running?  Is it bad to go on shoveled parts with the spikes?

an amazing likeness

First year I plan to train through winter.. i have been considering getting the spikes but I live in Boston where some of the roads will always be at least partially shoveled (im guessing?). Would you still recommend the spikes for city running?  Is it bad to go on shoveled parts with the spikes?

No, it'd be a rare day you'd want to wear them. You don't want to wear YakTrax and/or other traction things on pavement, they're really only needed on ice. If it's bad enough to need them, treadmill is probably the better decision for safety.

Sunflower747

Thank you!  I'll hold off then.

No, it'd be a rare day you'd want to wear them. You don't want to wear YakTrax and/or other traction things on pavement, they're really only needed on ice. If it's bad enough to need them, treadmill is probably the better decision for safety.

Milktruck, if the case wasn't rare, if no dreadmill, if there was permafrost for the winter months, and if NOT running was not an option what would you recommend.

an amazing likeness

Milktruck, if the case wasn't rare, if no dreadmill, if there was permafrost for the winter months, and if NOT running was not an option what would you recommend.

Not certain I understand the question.

She said she was in Boston; my reply was based on what I know about winter running on roads in the New England area -- where I run year-round. The roads generally get cleared by next day after snow, and folks mainly use Yaktrax / homemade screw shoes for sidewalks iced up from slush re-freezing. Those options can be pretty skittish on dry pavement.

My opinion -- if the roads in bad enough shape with ice that you need Yaktrax (or equivalent), then it's not safe due to cars being on that same icy road.

Folks who run off road in winter will have different experience.