Core Exercises (Read 1424 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Dude, please stop.

Why? Because you can't answer the question and that pisses you off.

Or is it because no science backs you up?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18978631

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Or should I just keep going with the studies that prove your ignorance of the training subject?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15320664

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

L Train

My chances of becoming a D1 football player are pretty slim.  6 weeks of one specific core training having no effect on young athletes has nothing to do with me.

mta:  But I'm sure you are right.  Congratulations, you win.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

And your chances of running faster are even more slim.

So quit thinking you're qualified to offer any training advice and we'll call it good.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

When did this board turn into letsrun?

http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Endurance-Performance-Conditioning-Association/dp/0736083278

Go read that and tell me you have no idea what core training does for running.  Go ahead, do it.  Top trainers in the field.

Alberto Salazar has his runners train core (med ball, light complexes, stability work). As do, you know, all reputable college and pro coaches.  I wonder why?  They are ALL STUPID!

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/alberto-salazar-on-strength-training-for-runners/

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The question of any training program, regardless to core stability training, conventional weight training, or following the program of any level running coach is quite simple; how will they improve the way anyone runs?

Better yet, what's perfect? What measurements define an athlete running at peak biomechanic ability?

How does core stability exercises improve your running economy?

If you can't answer that question, which is a requirement to run faster, why would you waste your time following it?

And as to Salazar, his reputation is for injuring runners, not teaching them to be better.

He also has the luxury of having uncle Phil's credit card to buy any athlete he wants. But all of them are good runners to start with, and for all his god stature in running, he and his Oregon Project has yet to teach anyone to take the Boston crown from the its current geographical dominants regardless to what exercises he does with them.

Funny that Salazar can't explain the women of Kenya either...

Funny that Salazar can't explain the women of Kenya either...

There have been unverified reports -- and a handful of poor-quality photos -- that purport to prove the existence of women in a number of countries around the world. I remain deeply skeptical.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Prince of Fatness

So quit thinking you're qualified to offer any training advice and we'll call it good.

You should do this.

Not at it at all. 

sport jester

Biomimeticist

You should do this.

I didn't concede the debate...

TJoseph

I just had a Triple Berry Newton.  It was much tastier than a Fig Newton.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I just had a Triple Berry Newton.  It was much tastier than a Fig Newton.

I've used the link many times with private clients. Thanks for sharing it with others.

The only question is how your diagram translates to improving human running speed.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I think the idea is, run faster or the ostrich will get you.

The fact is, the stronger you are (full-body with minor exceptions--I don't know what value bicep isolation has for running) the better your force production.  If you have a weak core it's hard to strengthen everything else.  It's all connected.  Not the best example (some of the exercises are silly) but the ideas here are what I'm driving at:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/a-new-approach-to-strengt.shtml

But sport jester can't even write coherent English, so I don't know what I expect from this thread.  I just like feeding the trolls and I'm miffed when people scoff at crosstraining.  Strength matters.  Period.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

xhristopher

I think the idea is, run faster or the ostrich will get you.

scappodaqui, You can't outrun an ostrich and they can be real assholes. Here's a diagram that might improve your survival rate by at least 20%.

mikeymike

they can be real assholes.

That's because they are birds.

Runners run