2 weeks before Marathon: 10k or 21k race ? (Read 170 times)

Hi,

My marathon is in about 3 weeks time and there is a local race this weekend which should be good for tune-up.

Wondering which option is best:

a) race 10k

b) do half marathon as tempo run (something like 10miles MP + 3 miles hard or Hanson workout of 2x 6 miles at slightly faster than MP with 1 mile recovery)

thanks in advance

joescott

If not racing all out, as you have described, then HM can be fine.  Personally I would not race the 10k, either.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Definitely wouldn't want to "race" the 21k.

Maybe go out slow and finish the last 6 or 7 miles at MP?

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I routinely race a 10-miler two weeks before my marathon. But I don't necessarily know what I'm doing.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Pedro P Sousa

If the weather conditions are fine, why not run the 21k at or close to marathon pace ?

I actually reckon it's a fine way to test how comfortable you feel with you goal marathon pace. I don't usually run a half marathon so close to the race, but more so because the opportunity never presented itself. You should finish the 21k pretty comfortably if it is to be an accurate goal marathon race pace.

I mentioned the weather conditions because they can take a toll on how well you might recover. 21k at or close to marathon pace under good weather conditions should be relatively easy to recover from. But you will know better.

Just my 2 cents...

kcam

You seem to have decent training mileage under your belt.  I wouldn't hesitate choosing to race that 10K all-out, wouldn't even consider racing the 1/2.  Option B would be my last choice only because if I really wanted to do that I'd just go do it and not waste my race entry money.

Good luck!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

10K all out.Unless you are looking to PR the marathon.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I'd race the 10K.  I wouldn't race the half, and I wouldn't pay to enter a race I wasn't racing.

A 10K two weeks out gives you time to recover, and a good fitness gauge.

OK let's make the scenario a 10k that is 4 weeks before a goal marathon. I assume it makes sense to race it all-out. Questions:

1. If it's the day after a normal LR day - do you still do the LR as planned (typically in the 16-20 range)?

2. Do you then use the 10k finish time to make adjustments for the following 4 weeks?

Dave

To the OP: I would do neither. Doing the half as a workout would be fine but then I wouldn't pay an entry fee and pin a number on for a workout. To each his own.

As for this question:

OK let's make the scenario a 10k that is 4 weeks before a goal marathon. I assume it makes sense to race it all-out. Questions:

1. If it's the day after a normal LR day - do you still do the LR as planned (typically in the 16-20 range)?

2. Do you then use the 10k finish time to make adjustments for the following 4 weeks?

4 weeks out I'd race it all out. Re: #1, sure, maybe, or better yet I'd just wrap a long run around the race with like a 3 mile warm and 8 mile cool down or something. RE #2, no. What kind of adjustments are you going to make in the last 4 weeks anyway?

Runners run

1 - Probably yes, if that Marathon is important (never ran 20 miles in training so I wouldn't know for sure). I think it'd be a hell of a workout, but for me the day after a hard (or long ) run is not as bad as two days after.

2 - No except that it'd give me a better indication of what I might be running 4 weeks later.

. What kind of adjustments are you going to make in the last 4 weeks anyway?

Well I don't know, which is why I asked. The only thought was if the result suggested a different MP (or tempo pace) than I had been using, to make that adjustment. As well as the actual goal race pace.

Dave

Thanks guys for the replies. Eventually did the HM as a paid tempo run Smile

Decided to integrate the HM into a long run, rather than pushing back the long run into this week (<2 weeks to go). With warm up & cool down, the session totaled did 17 miles+

Ran the first mile at 7.40 pace due to congestion, then next 12 miles at goal pace (~6.43). Controlled effort Smile

thanks all