Bad runs STINK! (Read 736 times)

finney

Resident pinniped

I just need to vent...I know they happen to everyone. So, yesterday I get on the TM at the gym for what was supposed to be a nice, easy 4-5 miler. I was actually looking forward to it because I've made so much progress lately, and my runs have been easier and more comfortable than they have ever been before. It was crazy windy and cold outside, so I decided the gym would be my best (if not boring) bet. So I get on the TM and I knew within the first 1/4 mile that I was NOT going to have a good go of it. So I slowed down a bit, thinking, OK, at least I'll get the miles in, even if they are slower. Then I started thinking, well, maybe I'll just do 3 miles today. I decided after 2 that it just was NOT gonna happen, as I had the whole sweating, slightly nauseous thing going and I knew if I pushed it I'd be paying for it all week. I guess the last couple weeks of really good runs had to catch up with me sometime, but it's still depressing as hell when your ambition exceeds what your body wants to do. No
      Hey...it happens. Now that the vent is done, and the venom has been spewed, you can look forward to getting right back on track to better times. I know how you feel, though. The lure of the outdoors is great, and when you get stuck settling for the dreadmill, it can really put a damper on things. In fact... I'm heading out the door right now to the gym, due to weather. Yech...

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

I had the same problem myself last week. I was tired after a 1/4 mile, and I'm better than that. I pushed through and finished only 2 miles (I'm still new to this whole running thing, but used to do 3 miles without too much difficulty), and part of that I had to walk. It was depressing. I didn't get the opportunity to go again last week after that, and instead went snowshoeing yesterday so I'll run again tonight. Here's to a good run for both of us today!!

Michelle

I hate when that happens. My mind makes plans that my body decides to cancel. Some days I can fight through it, other days I have to give in and take a rest day. Just view it as stockpiling your energy for your next run.

Michelle

but it's still depressing as hell when your ambition exceeds what your body wants to do.
            I feel your pain, I feel your pain...I crashed and burned at the Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon in Phoenix yesterday about a mile and a half from the finish line... Cry Still finished by the way, just not as good as I wanted...
            "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

Maggie & Molly

I understand. I totally and absolutely hate the TM. On a really good day I can push out 3 on the TM but more often than not a 'planned' 3 - 4 on the TM turns into 2 and I'm hot and sweaty and miserable. I think that the gyms keep it too hot and there is no air circulating. When I run outside (even in summer) at least there is air movement.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

There must have been something in the spirits yesterday for all the new runners of the world! Angry I too, had a horrible run yesterday. Here is what is weird though. It ALWAYS seems to be the first run after the " Long Run" each week. Except I had an extra rest day, because of some pre-arranged plans. I should have run like the wind but instead I felt like my legs were just made of lead, and I could not get the breathing pattern right. I just huffed and puffed, and finally had to go into a walk for 1/4 mile. I finished it running, but it was not pretty. Long Run Nick kept coming into my head, and I listened to him preaching " It's okay to walk". Still I felt like crap the rest of the day, Mad as hell, because I had an AWESOME 45 minute long run just days before. Have any of you ever psyched yourself out and let your head take over and ruin your running? How do you overcome it? I am set to run a 36 minute run tomorrow at 6:00 AM. Hopefully it will be a great run, and I won't have to feel sad all day like I did yesterday...... sigh.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bad runs are very important. Getting frustrated is too. They are among the things that drive you to go out and do better next time. Harness the pain!

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

Yup, yesterday was not a good day...glad to know I wasn't the only one. I had eight miles planned and I completely bonked about three miles into it. I struggled up a long hill, turned the corner and there was another hill! (It was a new route for me.) Neither one of the two hills were bad enough to cause me serious trouble normally, but for some reason they did yesterday. I ended up walking up the second one, cursing myself the entire way. Angry I manage to get in five, but it was probably one of the worst runs I've had in over a year.
                      Bad runs are very important. Getting frustrated is too. They are among the things that drive you to go out and do better next time. Harness the pain!
                      I " Heart" Trent........ Big grin

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Burninated Peasant

Bad runs STINK!
                        I think this partly depends on what you eat. Dead

12 Squared

Dad used to say that every day was a good day, some are just better than others. Hard to see that in the moment, but it's probably true. Funny how months of work and accomplishment can be bashed in a single outing, isn't it. Hang in there guys!
                          If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra

Maggie & Molly

I think this partly depends on what you eat. Dead
                            teeheehee

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                            Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There must have been something in the spirits yesterday for all the new runners of the world! Angry
                              I'm not a super new runner (been at it almost 2 years), but I also had a crappy run yesterday...wanted to do 7-8, but 6 was all I was willing to tolerate. The best thing about bad runs is they make the good ones that much more addictive and pleasurable! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I don't know about you folks, but running (or walking around) lets me break away and chill out. Often, I'll feel like caca, but after a mile or 2 I am feeling great. The runs that really stink are the ones that did not happen because I did not take the first step out the door! I had one recent run where I wanted to do at least 6 miles, but ended up just doing 3 because of fatigue. These type of runs do not happen much for me. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- People seem to PR when I run... maybe that's because I eat beans. Big grin

Vim