Heart rate question (Read 1810 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The only way to control your heart rate and keep it under a set level if that's your goal is a focus on improving your walking/running skills.

And unfortunately, the mid and forefoot running promoted by many coaches is documented to not only slow you down, but artificially increase your heart rate.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16195026

You'll have to take a different training direction if controlling your heart rate is your goal.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Scout7

The only way to control your heart rate and keep it under a set level if that's your goal is a focus on improving your walking/running skills.

And unfortunately, the mid and forefoot running promoted by many coaches is documented to not only slow you down, but artificially increase your heart rate.

You'll have to take a different training direction if controlling your heart rate is your goal.

None of what you just said is actually related to the OP's intent.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Of course it is, if his goal is to lower his heart rate to the levels he believes to be his limit, then improving walking/running economy is the only way he can do it. And following a mid and forefoot landing exponentially increases energy expenditure per step. That's called biology.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Scout7

Of course it is, if his goal is to lower his heart rate to the levels he believes to be his limit, then improving walking/running economy is the only way he can do it. And following a mid and forefoot landing exponentially increases energy expenditure per step. That's called biology.

His actual goal has nothing to do with heart rate.  He was asking if there was any truth to the claim that having a specific heart rate was a requirement to start a running program.

And not one single person in this thread has mentioned footstrike.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

This year I read about the forefoot strike running and this was a real saver. I tried running in this new manner and my knee felt healthy, so I thought I could resume running.

Sounds like he's running with a forefoot landing, and therefore artificially running with a higher than necessary heart rate.

Heart rate is an ubiased reference to oxygen needs of the athlete/soldier. If he wants to keep it as low as possible, then forefoot landing simply won't achieve it.

Sports Jester,

I've met people like you before, and I know that there is little that anybody can do to talk rationally with you.

In your mind, you are always right, and others (if they differ from you) are always wrong.  Nobody can see as clear as you.

I'd recommend you tone down your "enthusiasm" for your methodology.  You sound like a salesman rather than a "trusted teacher" or "go to guy" when it comes to running.

There are others who have convictions in their methodology similar to how you have convictions in your methodology, but most of them do not lay out their methodology as the gospel truth.

Whenever I see a post from you, I realize that this thread is destined for doom.  It's sad that someone like you can sabotage legitimate questions and legitimate dialogue in order for you to "sell" your way to a group of people who really don't want to buy into your way.

Whenever we read a post from you, the rest of us should just let it fall on deaf ears.

Dimitry, I'm sorry that he's entered this thread.  Based on prior forum behavior, he'll banter for hours on end and "yell" at people as they "yell" back. 

Basically, this type of forum behavior sucks.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

sport jester

Biomimeticist

So quoting research is "yelling"?

Lets see....

Forefoot landing requires the calf muscle to absorb the landing impact instead of the joints (a positive function).

Calf muscle fires to slow heel landing on ground surface.

Calf muscle fires a third (and fatigued) time to push off.

Heel strike landing has no calf muscle firing in landing mechanics and therefore only fires once per step

Six calf muscle firings per gait cycle compared with two firings per gait cycle.

Sounds like the source to high heart rate levels to me....

Science and biology are facts, not yelling.

If I'm wrong, then cite a reference with clinical reference besides, "Billys running website"

Scout7

If I agree with you, will you shut up and go away?

So quoting research is "yelling"?

The "banter" without this post is like a "yell".

Yes, I do think that you yell, and others yell in response (similar to this post I'm sending).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xor

Sports Jester,

I've met people like you before, and I know that there is little that anybody can do to talk rationally with you.

In your mind, you are always right, and others (if they differ from you) are always wrong.  Nobody can see as clear as you.

I'd recommend you tone down your "enthusiasm" for your methodology.  You sound like a salesman rather than a "trusted teacher" or "go to guy" when it comes to running.

There are others who have convictions in their methodology similar to how you have convictions in your methodology, but most of them do not lay out their methodology as the gospel truth.

Whenever I see a post from you, I realize that this thread is destined for doom.  It's sad that someone like you can sabotage legitimate questions and legitimate dialogue in order for you to "sell" your way to a group of people who really don't want to buy into your way.

Whenever we read a post from you, the rest of us should just let it fall on deaf ears.

Dimitry, I'm sorry that he's entered this thread.  Based on prior forum behavior, he'll banter for hours on end and "yell" at people as they "yell" back. 

Basically, this type of forum behavior sucks.

Or.  A person named sport JESTER is trolling.

Which also sucks.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

What I teach was fully tested and verified

xor

What I teach was fully tested and verified

Copernicus, nobody cares.  Whether you are serious or trolling, nobody cares.  Nobody has asked you for more info.

Some of us have poked you with a stick, some of us have patiently tried to get you to change tactics.  But nobody is trying to learn from you.

As a troll, you are (apparently) pretty effective.

As a serious "scientist", you are a ape banana wacky shit over-the-top nuts crazy fucking idiot.

Go away.  Shoo.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave the OP a clinical journal reference to managing his running economy.

Sorry if you don't like the fact that I cite journal references rather than BS websites as a reference....

Prince of Fatness

nobody cares.  Nobody has asked you for more info.

Not at it at all.