Sugar and Processed Foods (Read 393 times)

Prince of Fatness

I have read that the deadliest combination is sugar and fat together in the same item or meal.  So sugar only (Skittles, gu etc.) and oils alone (olive oil, bruscetta) aren't as bad as those when combined (cheescake, milk chocolate, ice cream)

So I should stop putting Skittles on my bruschetta?  Damn.

Not at it at all. 

#artbydmcbride

uh yeah!

Runners run

sugnim

I have read that the deadliest combination is sugar and fat together in the same item or meal.  So sugar only (Skittles, gu etc.) and oils alone (olive oil, bruscetta) aren't as bad as those when combined (cheescake, milk chocolate, ice cream)

That's strange.  There are many natural foods that combine sugar & fat, such as the coconut.

#artbydmcbride

I didn't mean deadly as in *deadly*  I meant deadly as in most fattening.  

Runners run

I have read that the deadliest combination is sugar and fat together in the same item or meal.  So sugar only (Skittles, gu etc.) and oils alone (olive oil, bruscetta) aren't as bad as those when combined (cheescake, milk chocolate, ice cream, Girl Scout cookies)

Yeah but who wants to eat those things anyway. 

MTA to FYP. 

Dave

Village people

I eat very little fast food,

I don't eat white bread and rarely eat chips or other salty snacks.

But I never could give up sugar.

Homemade bread and salty snacks are my downfall. Sugary things do not tempt me.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My a family made a major nutrition diet shift a few years ago. One thing that helped me was reading classic cookbooks that get back to eating and cooking whole foods. One of my favorites that isn't overwhelming is Nigella Lawsons How to Eat. It's a great book

When you say classic cookbook, I think ~1957 Betty Crocker.  It's a wonderful reference, but not so good for avoiding sugar and fat.

When you say classic cookbook, I think ~1957 Betty Crocker.  It's a wonderful reference, but not so good for avoiding sugar and fat.

I always pull out my olde trusty 1796 version.  But damn... it's full of cakes.  Maybe have to go back to things that my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandmother would recognize as food.

6 pounds of sugar, 2 pounds of lard, 3 pounds of butter, and 12 pounds of flour?  tarnation! "food" like that wilst kill ye!

SillyC

According to this Lustig fellow at UCSF, you can't undo the effects of too much sugar, even by running.  He says that the way sugar (fructose in particular) is metabolized in the body is the problem. 

<<<Snip>>>

It seems to me that there is so much added sugar to most processed foods that if we eat those, we are already taking in too much sugar so it won't matter if we only have a small sundae or 1 soda.  There is sugar added to bread, yogurt, cereal, granola bars, tomato sauce, etc.  So, my goal is to quit the sugar by stopping most processed foods that have added sugar and drastically cutting back on sweets (cake is for birthdays, not Saturdays; cookies are for Xmas, not Tuesdays, etc.)

Yeah, I know what Lustig is saying, but the way sugar is metabolized in the body changes drastically between the "resting state" and the "exercising state" - and a lot of that has to do with what is going on in your liver.  When you eat, your liver decides "store" or "use".  Mostly, the way we eat, the liver decides "use some, store most", right?  But when we are running and shortly after exercise, the message from the liver is pretty much "use the stores".   I don't think the body is capable of storing the gummy bears consumed while I'm running.  I might be wrong, though.

But otherwise, I totally believe this.  I was actually developing metabolic syndrome and PCOS in my early 20s, when I was NOT overweight.  I ate a TON of sugar.  It was just obscene, really.  I cleaned up my diet a lot then - like you said, cake for birthdays not saturdays -  and took up running, and the PCOS went completely away.

I'm also way upset about added sugar.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

6 pounds of sugar, 2 pounds of lard, 3 pounds of butter, and 12 pounds of flour?  tarnation! "food" like that wilst kill ye!

That  is an awesome recipe. I want to make it.

#artbydmcbride

its the pint of brandy right?

Runners run

Walk-Jogger

"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow" 
                            - William Shakespeare

With few exceptions, 30,000 days is the average human lifespan - 40,000 if you're lucky. However, two-thousand years ago average life expectancy was less than 20 years or about 7,000 days. It is difficult to imagine, but most of our ancestors kicked the bucket before our modern legal drinking age.

Bacteria, predators, accidents, extremes in weather and the lack of a reliable food source meant humans led short, dirty, brutal existences. That is if they survived birth at all. Infant mortality rates ranged from 300 or 400 deaths per 1,000 live births in the 18th century, while we see only seven per 1,000 today.

In 1796, life expectancy hovered around 24 years. A hundred years later it doubled to 48. In our modern world of air conditioners, hand washing and booster shots, you have a good chance of living 63 years, which is the world average. However, for those fortunate enough to live in a first-world country, lifespan jumps considerably.

Japan for instance has the longest average life-expectancy of 80 years, according to government figures. Similarly, in the United States, a baby born today can expect to live to 77. Interestingly these numbers continue to rise not only in developed countries but all over the world as well.

https://www.fightaging.org/archives/2003/01/this-wonderful-lengthening-of-lifespan.php

My conclusion from all this is:

1) There's more sugar and processed food in our modern diet.

2) We're living longer than ever.

Therefore, processed food and sugar is helping us live longer.  Pass the cake, please . . .

Retired &  Loving It

where is Trent to chime in about correlation and causation?  until then... we can discuss the rise of global temperature in relationship to the decrease in pirates as much as we want.  the Japanese sure must eat a lot of sugar.

catwhoorg

Labrat

The increase in life expectancy was mainly driven by the massive decrease in infant and child mortality.

Whilst those who survive to be adults are living longer, that is a very much less impressive increase.

What is worrying, is that the forecast for my daughters generation is that will life less life than mine, through entirely preventable issues.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18