explaining shin splints and stress fractures (Read 116 times)

Mary Decker Tabb Slaney, sir. Don't erase Ron from history.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I am a life long heel striker.

i have never had a shin splint

but I am still slow

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

GC100k

Welp pitiful imbeciles, the great Deity sportjester has come to save your feeble minds from the wet paper bag you are so pathetically ensnared in.

Sing with me, "sportjester is awesome, sportjester is majestic, there is no one in sportjester's intellectual stratosphere. sportjester's IQ is my zip code. sportjester invented and perfected every sport known to man, in addition to some yet undiscovered by mankind. sportjester is my life."

Amen!

btw, the "elites heel strike" is a new take to me. Usually, it's "no elites heel strike" and you have to point out that some do.

Listen princess, if they would all heel strike and carry Kenyan women on their heads, they would break the 2 hour marathon barrier just like the Australian aborigines did. T-Rex!

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/myths-of-running-forefoot-barefoot-and-otherwise/

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Funny that these are among the oldest footprints known of a human at run and carbon dated to 23,000 years ago. Do you see a midfoot or forefoot landing? I'm still waiting for the New York Times to publish this story...

Not only is the imprint of the entire foot, but also faster than Usain Bolt. I truly love it when "elite," is defined by what sells products with absolutely no connection to the truth...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

No response, or don't you know who Mary Slaney is?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Listen, princess, actual runners are irrelevant to what he's trying to tell you. If you can't explain the men of Timbuktu, stay off the internets.

Mary was tripped by a midfoot striker in the Olympics. Ergo, all midfoot strikers are bad.

Mr MattM

I like pie.

Sometimes.

I also like tacos.

be curious; not judgmental

You CAN have it all...

https://photos.bigoven.com/recipe/hero/taco-pie-11.jpg?h=500&w=500

sport jester

Biomimeticist

To be honest, I couldn't care. Is she faster than Usain Bolt? If she isn't, then why should it matter to me?

If I compare her to those quicker than Bolt, then I well know that I could teach her to run 20% faster

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Ben Obert

To be honest, I couldn't care. Is she faster than Usain Bolt? If she isn't, then why should it matter to me?

If I compare her to those quicker than Bolt, then I well know that I could teach her to run 20% faster

Jester never works with people as slow as Usain Bolt. No, he works with a yet undiscovered group of majestic 1 minute-milers - the tribe of Figment in the land of Imagination.

Jester never works with people as slow as Usain Bolt. No, he works with a yet undiscovered group of majestic 1 minute-milers - the tribe of Figment in the land of Imagination.

Actually, they are sub 8 second 100 meter runners, and 3:00 milers. All have learned to bend their knees backwards and run like ostriches. We have not heard about any of them because Nike is in control of all the global media and censored all mention of them. Also, they are all Navy SEALs doing top secret Navy SEAL stuff for the Illuminati and using the HAARP for communication inside the hollow earth. Or so we're told.

kilkee

runktrun

bend their knees backwards and run like ostriches. 

This happened to me once after ingesting some magical organic fungi.  I remember my knees bending backwards and wondering if people thought I looked funny while walking across the street.  Little did I know that i could have broken a 3:00 mile then... le sigh.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So since Bolt is acknowledged to be the fastest man ever, that puts the number  of runners you care about at zero. And while she may not be able to beat Bolt at distances up to 400m (I've never seen a time for him for a longer race), he'd never catch her at 1500m or longer. So yes, she is faster than Bolt if you look at the right distance. It would be interesting to see if you really could teach a former American and world record holder to run 20% faster. That would have her running faster than the men's records, though you will undoubtedly not see how ludicrous that is.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

See the source image

I mean you all think you know everything about running, but if you don't study anatomy of ostriches,

then please don't tell me about their backwards knees. Proving you an idiot is far too simple a task.

If you don't know an ankle from a knee joint, then stay off the internet in giving running advice.

Why don't you ask an African Pygmy how to run, since they know more than you do.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2007399

Oh wait, Pygmies are faster because they actually do run like ostriches...