Calf Strain/Shin Muscle Strain (Read 30 times)

VongolaDecimo

Hi, so I'm a collegiate runner and have had problems with my shins for the past two years, but I was finally able to build up to 26 miles in a week this summer running 4 days a week. My calf first started bothering me after a near 7 mile run during this same week. It's two different places, one is like the calf muscle that runs right next to my shin on the side, and the other is like in the middle where the Achilles meets. I suspect it happened because my mileage went up in addition to my form because I started forefoot striking and this was my mileage limit. I backed down some, and it started to go away but not completely and eventually got worse. I took 5 days off running and came back to see it had improved, But after running 30 minute runs, even in the grass, my pain came back the next week. After running some and cross training some, I could tell it wasn't getting better as after my runs the next day, I'd be walking down the stairs and nearly limping. Rolling it out has helped and massaging before running has also helped it feel less tight. It overall felt like a strong tightness and it would hurt if I stretched on a calf raise, went upstairs, or walking sometimes. It would also burn sometimes if it was painful. Fast forward now and it's been 11 days since I've run. It feels a lot better than it did, but when I go up stairs or do calf raises, I feel a slight soreness/activation so it's not 100%, but could be good enough to start running. Did you think I'm good to start running again, but just build up more slowly go back to my sort of heel/mid-foot hybrid strike to take pressure off my calves as well as doing gradual strength? Or do you think I need to keep resting until I can't feel that faint soreness doing activities? Because I watched a physical therapy video and I'm questioning whether that faint pain is just scar tissue, or if I'm not ready to run yet. Also, I'm afraid if I take more time off, I'll have less time to build back into running to be in shape for practice in two weeks.  I'd appreciate any comments about my situation a situation you've had, how I should recover, or anything really 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

There's a difference between pain and discomfort. If you are resting and still having pain, then go to the doctor instead of relying on internet searches. The fact that you've been having problems for two years is a good sign that you should see a doctor and get it sorted out.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

SMART Approach

Are you doing strength training starting with hips/glutes down to calves/feet? You really have to address cause and that's how you treat. Over stretching and grinding on calves or areas of pain can be counter productive. Sometimes we do things that get in the way of recovery. If you don't address cause or build up tissue resiliency it is a challenge to get to 100% healthy. Do you have athletic trainers working with you at your college?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Are you doing strength training starting with hips/glutes down to calves/feet? You really have to address cause and that's how you treat. Over stretching and grinding on calves or areas of pain can be counter productive. Sometimes we do things that get in the way of recovery. If you don't address cause or build up tissue resiliency it is a challenge to get to 100% healthy. Do you have athletic trainers working with you at your college?

My sciatica has improved since I started strength training.  I also tend to have an issue with my left calf and I'm wondering if strength training would help with that as well.  It's a feeling of there being a knot in the muscle.  It rarely goes as far as actual pain but there's discomfort.  Do have specific calf exercises you would recommend?

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

VongolaDecimo

Thanks for the advice. Yes I have trainers and he's had me on a strengthening program that includes calf, hip, and glute strength. I'm doing them every other day