Need help - can someone read this physiotherapy Rx? (Read 862 times)

Why is it sideways?

Peroneal hamstring?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is no such thing as a peroneal hamstring.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I can recall a time a few years ago where the pharmacist actually asked me what the Rx was for. He must have failed that course.

Just curious. Are doctors able to write legibly for other aspects of their lives? Is it just the scrips? Is it a secret penmanship designed so that only the prescription fulfiller can read it? Or is the doctor actually trying to mess with them? Do pharmacists often call doctors and ask them what the hell they wrote?  Or is it simply that poor handwriting is a generic marker demonstrating a predisposition to a career in medicine? I mean, he/she is a doctor so I can't imagine it's because he/she lack a steady hand. I hope. 

DW, as unit secretary in a hospital, regularly had to collar doctors to ask them what the hell they wrote.  Other times, she did her own interpretation or called the nurses into a consultation or séance to divine the meaning.

Well, in the US, fairly soon, healthcare providers will no longer be allowed to handwrite prescriptions.  They will have to submit typed prescriptions printed onto special copy-proof paper or sent electronically directly to pharmacies.

This is why my FIL retired. Still invoiced with a typewriter. 

I would read that as "proximal hamstring" -- otherwise, I agree with the rest of the interpretation.

I'd be pretty embarrassed if I was wrong, ask about a pain in the butt, and it was peroneal (ankle/foot) problem.  

That's why it's best to talk to the patient.

And although the docs' notes are all computerized, we too use ol fashioned handwritten scripts still.  And we do have to call occasionally for a translation.

Keep building the base.

2012 goals: Under 30 minutes 5K, over 20 miles/week

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah.  Could be proximal Hammie.

I think proximal hamstring sound better.  Pain is in middle of left butt-cheek, centred around the sit bone. I had an ultrasound of the hamstring near that bone. Hurts like he** to sit for any length of time.

I am a PT pharmacist and we do call docs to verify Rxs but only when unsure.  E-prescribing, as I understand it though, is not going to end all errors in prescribing.  We will be able to read the script easily but the prescriber may have picked the wrong drug (think of choosing from a list in a drop-down box - there are still opportunities for errors, just not handwriting errors.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wrong drug exists on paper and will exist in computers.  At least the Rx will be legible, eliminating a major source of errors.

Most ePrescribing tools do not use drop down boxes, since it would be impossible to include the hundreds of drugs that exist in a drop down box.  I use a number of different tools, and most are based on string searches. I rarely select the wrong drug due to a technical UI issue.  I probably select the wrong drug all the time because I am a bone head, tho.

A Saucy Wench

I probably select the wrong drug all the time because I am a bone head, tho.

comforting

I get Ambien prescribed.  Generic is zolpidem.  A couple years ago I had to switch pharmacies and so instead of a refill the doc issued a new scrip and I cant remember what z drug was actually filled but it wasnt zolpidem.  Fortunately as I put it, "I cant remember what the generic name is but I am 100% positive it isnt that!"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

comforting

I get Ambien prescribed.  Generic is zolpidem.  A couple years ago I had to switch pharmacies and so instead of a refill the doc issued a new scrip and I cant remember what z drug was actually filled but it wasnt zolpidem.  Fortunately as I put it, "I cant remember what the generic name is but I am 100% positive it isnt that!"

Yeah, with all the bizarre drug names combined with the handwriting issues, how the heck do they ever get it right?

A Saucy Wench

Yeah, with all the bizarre drug names combined with the handwriting issues, how the heck do they ever get it right?

Its one area I always take responsibility.  I dont leave the dr's office without the name and dosage and during the consult with the pharmacist I always make sure the drug is commonly prescribed for what I am being treated for and that it is a standard dosage.  And often I verify online before I take the first one.  I started it when I started handling my dad's 16 prescriptions. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Its one area I always take responsibility.  I dont leave the dr's office without the name and dosage and during the consult with the pharmacist I always make sure the drug is commonly prescribed for what I am being treated for and that it is a standard dosage.  And often I verify online before I take the first one.  I started it when I started handling my dad's 16 prescriptions. 

Please take responsibility for mine in my old age.