Running group (Read 141 times)

Village people

I am planning to start a running group at our local swim and tennis club. I was thinking about starting it in August after swim team. I know several kids run cross country in the fall so I thought this would be fun and helpful for them. Any advice?

Tiger Rag

What do you want from your club? Will there be a beginners section? I've been at two. My current one, we're big enough that we get split on a Thursday and do one of three routes. We then split again, depending on our speed. Someone has then done a beginners group.

Village people

Thanks, those are some good points. I was thinking two groups separated by age. The middle and high school cross country teams have some set courses and I was thinking about using them. I do not want little kids on the road.

LitchfieldHills

If the cross country kids are serious, they will have been in pre-season training for a few months by August.

Village people

If the cross country kids are serious, they will have been in pre-season training for a few months by August.

Some will but I just thought it would be a fun thing

for the kids.

I Run To Eat :)

I am planning to start a running group at our local swim and tennis club. I was thinking about starting it in August after swim team. I know several kids run cross country in the fall so I thought this would be fun and helpful for them. Any advice?

Also when you promote the team and it's formation, make mention to who's more suitable and how the groups will be broken up. You'll get more people come along that will think "yeah, this one will work for me".

That's because some people shy away from groups as they know they'll be left behind (if slower) or will be too far ahead of the pack (if they're fitter and faster), if you know what I mean ?

Tiger Rag

That's a good point. My current club, we have a cruiser who runs with the beginners / slower people. This means that whilst I may get split from the faster people, (ie, the majority) I'm not left behind. I have been at a group where I got completely left behind - this is despite me saying I need someone with me due to my vision. (or lack of) I've not been back at that group since.

Village people

Thank you. The adults seem to be interested but they are not my target.