How many half marathons a month? (Read 193 times)

bmw_psycho

Hello all

I am a newbie runner - age 38 male, about 30 lbs overweight and generally have been out of shape for past 20 years.

Started running around 16 weeks ago but completed my first half marathon yesterday. My long term goal is to go for Ironman.

At the start of my running program I was able to run less than a mile but with determination and focus I have been able to bump up my mileage. My pace is quite slow but endurance and will-power are my saving grace.

Question is - how many half marathons can I do a month? I was planning on doing one every weekend. I want to do 4-5 half marathons before I attempt a marathon. Hope to do a marathon each month of next year so I can attempt an Ironman sometime next year.

Am I being too ambitious? Pretty sure I have the will power. But will I injure myself?

#artbydmcbride

........ But will I injure myself?

definitely!  

Runners run

bmw_psycho

definitely!  

So what's the max you recommend? How about a half marathon every other weekend?

FYI also run around 12-14 miles during the week excluding the long run on the weekend as part of my training.

kcam

Why not just concentrate on building some fitness and dropping some weight by training in a sensible manner for a while?  You can run the 1/2 marathon distance every weekend in training.  Not sure what the draw is to pay Half Marathon race fees every weekend (which are pretty steep nowadays) when it seems like you are just 'completing' the distance at this point.  But, to answer your question, sure you can 'run' a HM every weekend if you want.  I do but I call them long runs.

an amazing likeness

If the question is how many half marathons can someone run in a month -- the answer is lots of serious runners could run 1 per day if they wanted to.

If the question is how many half marathons could you run in a month -- the answer is there is no reasonable way to state a number, other than to say you need a solid base of months and months of miles to run 1 per week. So I'd guess you'd make to 3, then be done in about 6 miles into and succumb to one of the overuse injuries (shin splints, itb, etc)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

delicate flower

Many Ironman athletes never run a standalone marathon prior to their 140.6.

<3

ledfortr

It really depends on your overall fitness level.

For now, stick with other advice that says worry about dropping the weight.

Kicking the road takes a toll on your body, a big toll.  Make sure your weight is where it needs to be if you plan to run a lot.  Your body isn't meant to take that kind of abuse, much less, with the extra weight.  You need to be in tip top shape.

A 1/2 marathon every week is a fantastic goal in the long term.  However, I recommend that you set shorter term goals and make the 1/2 marathon every weekend something longer term.  You can feasibly get to that fitness level safely within 4-6 months.

The order I would set those goals.

1. Lose weight, get to a weight that is within range of a healthy person your height and build.  To do this, bump the frequency of your workouts up but keep the distances low (at first).  If you can take an hour a day to run 6 days a week, the weight will pour off.

2. Work to a good pace, start measuring your progress and get to a point where you can do a 9 minute and 30 second mile pretty comfortably.

3. Once you are at a good pace, then start tacking on the miles.

I went through a pretty dramatic weight loss a couple years ago (60lbs).  This is advice I would tell myself if I could go back in time.

Add variety to your workouts.  By that I mean, change the terrain, pace, mileage.  Make sure you are doing runs for distance, pace, tempo.  There are many ways to do these types of runs, you just need to find one that works best for you (ie fartlek).

I was pounding away on the pavement a couple years ago always doing 9 mile runs.  I had injury after injury and couldn't figure out what was going on.  I added variety to my routine and that did the trick.

You also need to eat healthy.  Organic wherever you can, avoid red meat, stick to fish and chicken... etc... you know the drill.  If you need help with this aspect, let us know and we can make some recommendations.

Good luck

Tom

bmw_psycho

Tom

Your advice is perfect - just what I needed.

Thanks

ultramarathon/triathlete

Why do you think you need a marathon a month before you do your first Ironman?

Before I did my first Ironman I'd done quite a few marathons, but that was more a factor of me being a runner first and foremost, and a triathlete secondly. I definitely didn't need to do ANY marathons before my first IM.

I certainly didn't need to do 12 marathons in a year before IM (though I did 1 marathon a month in 2012, and one of those was an Ironman).

An Ironman is a great goal. Lots of marathons is a great goal, and doing a lot of 1/2s or generally a lot of weekend long runs is a great goal.

Also, I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to find that many half marathons, one every weekend. Unless you're willing to travel a LOT.

But my question is WHAT is your goal? WHY the 1/2 marathon every weekend? Is it just because you've caught the racing bug and want to do a lot of it? Or is it about thinking you NEED to do that to go up in distance. Or are you just trying to bring down the weight?

If you're racing a half marathon every month, you're bound to get injured. I'd say find one a month, and then a few other distance races if you really want to race. Work on some 5ks and 10ks. Save some weekends for just a nice long easy run that's not a race.

Also, consider doing a 70.3 (Half Iron) before your first IM. You should definitely do some shorter distance triathlons so you really figure out how they work. At the IM distance it starts to become as much about logistics and nutrition as it does about swim, bike, run, and experience from shorter races will help you get there more than just training volume alone.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

hectortrojan

You definitely can run 13.1 mile every weekend in a month doing a long run. I think probability of you injuring yourself is very high given your background and your goal of running a HM every week.

When I got into running, I did too much too early and ended up injuring myself. I would say be reasonable in increasing your mileage. Be aware of how you feel. Listen to your body.

Asking your family members is good too. Ask them how do you look. If they say you look tired all the time, then you are doing too much.

NHLA

The first 1/2 I ran when they started handing out AG awards my goal changed. I no longer just wanted to finish I wanted to at least come in third AG.  One fast 1/2 is beter than 100 finishes.

Building a solid 30-50 mpw base is what it takes to run a good race.

Wkrasl

That's an interesting question that I can relate to. Although I am older than you at 68,  I am also 30 pounds overweight and regularly doing long  distances. In my case, I started 65 pounds overweight about 15 weeks ago and so far I have lost 35 of those,  with 30 more to go to get to my target BMI. I have done this by starting out walking just a few miles every day and steadily increasing those miles.  By week 10  I was doing 10 miles per day, still only walking because my knees were telling me I was risking injury.  Now I am walking 12 to 14 miles per day, (yes I am retired and can spend 3-4 hours daily doing this) and this week I have started adding half-mile jogging intervals for the first few miles.  I am indeed hoping that my endurance will improve so that I can do 0.5 mile jog/walk intervals for the entire half marathon distance daily, and then increasing the percentage of jogging versus walking beyond 50%.  That raises the question whether eventually I will be able to run the entire 13 miles in my daily runs, or whether I should begin taking days off.

PS.  In case it wasn't clear, I actually have little interest in races at this time since most of my miles are still by walking. So, since  I live in Ormond Beach I simply do scenic loops up one side of the inter coastal and down the other, crossing various bridges for the loops.

endlessrun

That's an interesting question that I can relate to. Although I am older than you at 68,  I am also 30 pounds overweight and regularly doing long  distances. In my case, I started 65 pounds overweight about 15 weeks ago and so far I have lost 35 of those,  with 30 more to go to get to my target BMI. I have done this by starting out walking just a few miles every day and steadily increasing those miles.  By week 10  I was doing 10 miles per day, still only walking because my knees were telling me I was risking injury.  Now I am walking 12 to 14 miles per day, (yes I am retired and can spend 3-4 hours daily doing this) and this week I have started adding half-mile jogging intervals for the first few miles.  I am indeed hoping that my endurance will improve so that I can do 0.5 mile jog/walk intervals for the entire half marathon distance daily, and then increasing the percentage of jogging versus walking beyond 50%.  That raises the question whether eventually I will be able to run the entire 13 miles in my daily runs, or whether I should begin taking days off.

PS.  In case it wasn't clear, I actually have little interest in races at this time since most of my miles are still by walking. So, since  I live in Ormond Beach I simply do scenic loops up one side of the inter coastal and down the other, crossing various bridges for the loops.

That's a huge amount of walking!  No reason you can't build up to running 13 miles- but not everyday.  The more you demand of your body, the more recovery you'll need.  Overuse injuries are not black and white, i.e., they come on gradually.  This is good for us because we can head them off.  Do something else during the week that doesn't tax your legs.  Also, a session or two of strength training a week is always good.  Don't need to join a gym- some squats, jumping jacks, burpees, one-legged bends, etc.

Before I took up running, I was a hiker, then a long distance walker (but never as much as you!) so I had some leg strength already.  As I began running, I took up regular gym sessions.  Still, I got some knee issues in the beginning.  I didn't start running til I was in my 50s.  The body adapts and it will amaze you at what it can do but it needs your help, too.

Wkrasl

Thanks for the feedback and insight.

I did finally achieve my goal of 50/50 jog/walk intervals the entire 13.1 mile loop in 3:04:41 on Wednesday, and then again with 60/40 intervals in 2:57:10 on Friday.  Getting ready to head out in a few minutes, starting out with 67/33 target but don't really expect to do that the whole distance today.

I agree in principal on benefits of upper body work, but generally avoid it due to multiple abdominal surgeries plus surgical repair of both left and right rotator cuffs with the left maybe needing another operation. I'm just glad the left and right inguinal hernia repairs are holding without interfering too much with the legwork.  Sigh...