Birmingham Alabama Hospital Cardiac Unit Diet (Read 8889 times)

I have heard about this diet which is supposed to create some kind of metabolic process or chemical breakdown in your body. You follow the diet for three days, and then eat a normal diet (without overeating). The strange part about it is that it requires you to eat vanilla ice cream as part of one meal. There doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff on the web about the diet. Does anyone have any experience with it--I am doing research for a family member. Thanks, Jonathan
    I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Frankly, it sounds ridiculous to me, although I cannot find much about it either and I do happen to like excuses for eating ice cream Wink . Just another fad, methinks. I would encourage your family member simply to eat smart. A good balance. Nothing processed. Nothing your grandparents would not recognize as food. Loads of fiber and natural fruit and veggies. And read this: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/130620af4b204403a408f5d51c31e920#focus (slow to load)
        Is this the diet? http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-3-day-diet?page=2 It doesn't sound healthy to me or conducive to running. A friend of mine did this for a few weeks before her wedding and lost some weight, though it seems to me that it was due to the lack of calories and not the specific combination of foods she was consuming.
          Hey, is this diet from Alabama or Ohio? To me it sort of sounds like quackery. The person interested in it is on day 3 and has lost 2.5 lbs. Short term it probably can't do much harm.
          I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That kind of weight loss is usually fluid weight.
            Amegan

The reason for the vanilla ice cream at night is because it keeps your sugar level (and also tricks your body into saying - "oh, I've had my sugar, so I don't need to panic" The diet is for people who must lose weight before heart surgery. Which is the reason my family member was on it - and it worked for him. One thing i've noticed is some discrepencies in the listing of quantities of the foods to eat. You are only supposed to have 1/2 a cup of ice cream the first two nights (not a whole cup). Hope this helps. Good luck.
              hhealth monk

This diet may sound crazy but it really does work. The main purpose for this diet is for people that will have open heart surgery in the near future and need to lose wieght fast. This diet consist of foods that when mixed together create a chemical breakdown thus, making you lose weight. You can lose up to 40lbs in a month. Since ive tried it for no reason but it worked wonders! i lose 20 lbs in 3 weeks. but you really need to keep right to the diet no subsitutes! Exercise helps.
                  Sounds like a fad diet to me. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Also, if it really is the "Birmingham Alabama Hospital Cardiac Unit Diet"... it comes from the 3rd fattest state in the US, so maybe they aren't exactly the best state to trust on how to stay thin. Tongue
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Also, if it really is the "Birmingham Alabama Hospital Cardiac Unit Diet"... it comes from the 3rd fattest state in the US, so maybe they aren't exactly the best state to trust on how to stay thin. Tongue
                    HEY! Angry As a resident of Alabama, I want to address this remark! And say that I was thinking exactly the same thing. This state is a bunch of fatasses. In addition to ice cream, was the diet heavily focused on fried chicken, bbq, and pork rinds? Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Don't look at me, I'm just here to run.
                      luvlife

i'm presently on this diet and yes it does work if you have the discipline to follow it.And now that i'm going taking science classes such as AP and chemistry i'm using myself as an example of how this cobination of foods help with weight loss- this diet works-along with running i'm already losing-just don't o/d the 4 days that your off the diet- after my second child and with age this weight must and shall come off-i have this to help me get back to me!!!! again it works-seriously
                          There is no magic to this diet. The reason it works is you are eating 1,000 calories or less for three days a week. Calories in < calories out. you would still lose the same amount of weight if you ate nothing but pie but kept it to 1,000 calories per day. calories="" out.="" you="" would="" still="" lose="" the="" same="" amount="" of="" weight="" if="" you="" ate="" nothing="" but="" pie="" but="" kept="" it="" to="" 1,000="" calories="" per=""></ calories out. you would still lose the same amount of weight if you ate nothing but pie but kept it to 1,000 calories per day.>

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

You would still lose the same amount of weight if you ate nothing but pie but kept it to 1,000 calories per day.
                            Mmmmmm . . .pie
                            "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

Along for the Ride

I agree with Mike here - as long as you keep the "total number of calories in" lower than the "total number of calories out"; you will lose weight. And yes, it could be all pie ... mhhmmm pie. In my opinion there is no magic combination of foods that will create chemical reactions in your body to melt the fat. I can only see bad chemical reactions to all the preservatives and processed junk in the food. That's where Trent comes in with his advice of eating as close to nature as you can (nothing your grandparents would not recognize as food - I like that!) To prove my point, I took the first day of the diet and counted calories: Breakfast - 165 Lunch - 180 Dinner - 520 (I used the corrected amount of 1/2 cup ice cream) ------------------ Total: 865 Everybody's energy needs (without exercise) are dependent on height and weight. My example - I am 5'8", weigh currently 167.5 lbs and my energy need with very little physical activity from work is 1846. If I would only eat 865 calories a day, I would have a deficit of 1000 calories a day! Now consider the clients in Alabama using this diet. They weigh probably more around the 250 - 400 lb mark; which increases their number for the energy need right off the bat = larger daily deficit. I agree that this diet is very fad. Come on - how long can you handle 1/2 cup of dry tuna on a slice of toast for lunch?? Where is the lettuce and the tomato and some light mayo? This doesn't seem like a solution to lose weight AND keep it off. Lifestyle change is the key word.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.