Ankle edema, Knee discomfort - Time for real shoes? (Read 364 times)

About a two years ago, When I ran - I ran barefoot. That did not last too long due to my feet being torn up by the concrete. Haven't run since until the Color Run Miami. A week before, I realized I needed running shoes. Went to Sports Authority (I think) and saw an awesome pair of Barefoot 3t running shoes. The 29.99 was within my budget and had myself a new pair of running shoes.

Now my body is experiencing some problems while I run - slight edema in the ankles and knee discomfort.Through the research I have done, I'm pretty confident that my weak ankles and weak arch's are to blame. Especially since I have sprained both my ankles several times when I was younger(soccer, skateboarding, rollerblading, stepping off a curb)

So yes - I need new shoes, and probably those nifty (sarcastic on nifty)  little arch supports by Dr Scholls.

I am a college student, and can not afford to spend tons of money on specially fitted shoes, but I do see the benefit. 

Is there anything in between that someone could suggest? Is there a particular brand of shoe I should stay away from?

Thanks in advance!

Fun Statistic:

The probability of you reading this post is 1.00

Sub 30 5k, Sub 25 5k, Sub  50 10k, Win a 5k

xor

>> I realized I needed running shoes. Went to Sports Authority (I think) and saw an awesome pair of Barefoot 3t running shoes.

You did not meet the need.

Save the money on the "nifty arch supports" and put that money into better shoes.

I get ankle edema at times.  I run in minimalist shoes.  Mine is, however, a side effect of a hypermobility disorder that I have, so my reason for it is probably different than yours.

Are you sure you're not running too fast for just coming back?  Sure the shoe doesn't fit too tightly around the ankle?  

I know the shoes that work for me, but this, well, varies wildly by runner.  Arch support basically gives me cramps in my arches within 2-3 miles (I have high arches).  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

Save the money on the "nifty arch supports" and put that money into better shoes.

Also, +1 to this.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

I cant be running to fast. I did an easy 45 minute 4 mile run last night. As for distance - I don't think i'm pushing that either. Iv been running 5ks and finally pushed to a four mile run yesterday. 

As for the shoes - its an elastic band around the ankle. No discomfort there.

I suppose it doesn't have to be the shoes, but like I said, I don't think i'm pushing myself too hard in the slightest bit. 

Sub 30 5k, Sub 25 5k, Sub  50 10k, Win a 5k

luken

RA's cranky old teenager

If you want to get serious about running, you need properly fitted shoes. Save up about $100 and go to a specialty running store. Have them look at your gait and determine what kind of shoe you need. A good pair of shoes should last as much as 500 miles, sometimes more. 

That's really the best way to go about it.

That's probably maybe mostly true.