General stretching/yoga routine. (Read 92 times)

jturnerr

Hi everyone.

As a bit of a background I used to be a relatively serious fun runner (70+ miles per week, in the 34's for a 10K) - but that was a few years ago before covid hit and priorities changed.

I'm trying to get back into shape again. I did a 37:30 10K recently and I'm running 10K a day most days, with no speedwork or long runs etc, so I'm not doing bad but I'm far from the 2019 heyday

The problem I'm having is that I'm really struggling to keep these 10 K's up, I feel constantly fatigued, I never really feel vey fresh. I remember this feeling from when I was running 70+ MPW, but this made more sense due to the very high mileage and hard sessions. I'm late 30's now but I fail to admit that 2 years has pushed me from 70+ MPW to not far of half that and feeling fatigued all of the time.

I have my strength and conditioning routine, I think this works and stops me getting injured (touch wood!) - but one thing I have never really dabbled in as much as I should is a proper stretching/flexibility/yoga routine. Whenever I went to the physio he always said I was comically tight everywhere.

I want to incorporate a 15 minutes (ish) routine into my day to help with this, see if it helps with the issues above. Has anyone got a descent routine or got suggestions to video's/books that could help?

Online there seems to be a lot of information but not a lot that I find particularly useful, just books for of (literally) 100+ stretches with no routine of how to implement them. As such I'm a bit stuck on where to start. I want to generally improve my stiffness and flexibility

Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Many thanks

SMART Approach

Stretching does not relieve tightness. Tightness is a protective mechanism. With your fatigue, you are over training and under recovering. Take 3 days off from running and just walk. Then for one week run slowly but only 4 runs. Just what feels like a pace you could run forever. This should get you feeling better. Then I suggest a 5K time trial to determine your 5K race pace. I can then give you some training paces allowing you to build your mileage. Right now with how you are feeling, 90% of your miles should feel easy. 10% of miles can include some straining or work outs but not too crazy. This is your ticket to gradually increase your miles. Recovering better will ease your tightness.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

cookieclickeraz

spam crap
        James21212

koalas may be headed for extinction, and this spam crap is what you do with your time?
          Arnoldziffel

I have been running for more than 30 years, and was never a huge proponent of stretching until I hit my 50s, pulled a hamstring muscle in a race, and joined a local running club that advocates stretching and yoga.  I (finally) realized that my leg muscles can become very tight, and perhaps I just never knew how to stretch properly.  When I told my coach that our club's stretching and yoga routine was helping me, she suggested I check out Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube.  That was 2-3 years ago, and I've made my 20 minute yoga routines with Adrienne part of my regular routine.  She has two free You for runners sessions below - I have made a habit of doing them 2-3 times per week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plL13JF5BHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hTllAb4XGg

These routines have helped me immensely.

April 21- Fast Half Marathon

May 5 - Colleen Ritzer 5K

June 22 - Mad Fox Trail Fest 10K

board

Does your mother know you post spam?
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Stretching does not relieve tightness. Tightness is a protective mechanism. With your fatigue, you are over training and under recovering. Take 3 days off from running and just walk. Then for one week run slowly but only 4 runs. Just what feels like a pace you could run forever. This should get you feeling better. Then I suggest a 5K time trial to determine your 5K race pace. I can then give you some training paces allowing you to build your mileage. Right now with how you are feeling, 90% of your miles should feel easy. 10% of miles can include some straining or work outs but not too crazy. This is your ticket to gradually increase your miles. Recovering better will ease your tightness.

I think tchuck's probably hit the nail on the head that the symptoms you are describing sound more like overtraining.  Adding in a flexibility component to your overall fitness routine isn't a bad thing if you recognize that stretching won't fix overtraining.  Stretching feels good, and being able to keep a normal range of motion can help prevent injuries.  I don't have a specific program to recommend, only an observation that not everybody is tight in the same ways.  What I need to stretch to keep my muscles and joints healthy may not be the same things you do.

Happy running!

Roads were made for journeys...

jackmiller

link spam
                  paulag

more useless spam
                    littleGizmo

I have periods in my life where I practiced Yoga/ stretching

Combining Yoga/stretching with meditation can do wonders for flexibility and mental health. I use to love doing it.

I also incorporate about 20 minutes of stretching before each workout at the gym weather it is with weights or if I am on a treadmill. I always make myself very limbered up. Something my Cross Country coach taught us in high school. He himself was very big into stretching a lot. As a team we would stretch at least 20 minutes mandatory before every day we went for a jog.  Yoga/ meditation is  like a step further. I always loved it. Stretching while meditating and focusing on listening to only your breath emptying your mind of all painful thoughts, excellent stress reduction Yoga can be.

Besides cross training my running with weights / eliptical/ cycling I thought about also cross training some Yoga/ Meditation sessions to enhance recovery times.