Do I Have Shin Splints? (Read 721 times)

The search function here is not that great so I do apologize for the likely repeated topic. I'm wondering if I have shin splints. I recently finished Week 1 of Couch to 5K. I feel great and when I walk I'm not in pain or anything. I do feel a sore feeling on the front of my lower legs when I lift my feet pointing my toes upwards. Also, when I do start jogging I at times start feeling my lower legs stiffening up a bit but its something that gets better during the jog. Help a rookie out Confused Thanks

Lazy idiot

when I started running, I had shin pain like this as well. Don't push too hard too fast (if it hurts, take it easy or easier), make use of light massage as necessary, and keep at it (it went away for me, eventually). Good luck!

Tick tock

Thanks for the response. Big grin I'll make sure not to do too much too soon. I think the C25K plan does a good job at keeping me at bay. I should have also added I jog on hill and asphalt terrain. There's so many variables to this its overwhelming. I might make an appointment with a Doctor who specializes in this kind of thing just to be on the safe side.

Top 'O the World!

Per Wikipedia: Smile Shin splints is a general term used to refer to a painful condition in the shins.[1] It is often caused by running or jumping, and may be very slow to heal. More formal medical terms include medial tibial syndrome,[2] medial tibial stress syndrome[3] and stress-related anterior lower leg pain.[4] Some object to the classification of "shin splints" as a diagnosis, and instead consider it to be a symptom of other underlying conditions.[5] [edit] Overused muscle One cause is overused muscle either an acute injury or DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness). The muscle pain is caused by any activity that involves running, jumping and sometimes even swimming. An individual not accustomed to running may experience pain in the shin muscles the next day even after a single, short bout of intensive running. Kinda your body's reminder to build slowly Wink
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Yeah, I've been confused cause I've read others peoples encounters with Shin Splints and it's hell of scary. Shocked People being barely able to walk up stairs and things of that nature. I'm just feel a little sore feeling, No pain. Hopefully this isn't how splints begin.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I would guess you just have some sore muscles right now and not shin splints. Make sure to get plenty of fluids and I suggest doing some calf stretching after your runs. If you just started it is certainly possible to have some soreness/tightness. But as the others said, keep it slow pace and build slowly.

Oh Mighty Wing

Sounds like sore muscles. But you could always start doing toe raises during the day. Many people swear they ward off and fix shin splints.

SMART Approach

You don't have them. Try to get nice and warmed up before running. Soak shins in hot tub 5 min while lightly stretching calve muscles. Do this before your run. This will make a big difference. Stretch calves after your run.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I've experienced what sounds like a similar thing...just some general soreness on my shins. Toe taps absolutely solved the problem for me...while you're sitting at your desk or watching tv, keep your heels on the floor and raise your toes straight up and down over and over. point your toes to the left and repeat, to the right and repeat. Just do them as often as you can during the day.
                    Heroes never die. They just reload.
                      Thanks for the help everyone. Big grin
                      I've experienced what sounds like a similar thing...just some general soreness on my shins. Toe taps absolutely solved the problem for me...while you're sitting at your desk or watching tv, keep your heels on the floor and raise your toes straight up and down over and over. point your toes to the left and repeat, to the right and repeat. Just do them as often as you can during the day.
                      This is actually the only time I feel the soreness (when doing toe taps) besides early on in my runs. I will try doing them throughout the day to see if it goes away.