My First "Trail" Run (Read 632 times)

So yesterday I go out for my first post-HM run and it turned out to be the most fun I've had in awhile... I ran 3 miles from the house to the highway, walked for a couple minutes, and then turned around to go back...As I was getting ready to hit the road again, I saw an opening in the brush and then just went for it (with "Amazing Grace" by the Dropkick Murphys blasting in my ears)...I ran the entire first mile thru the brush, jumping over snake holes and dodging thorny brush, with the biggest ***eating grin on my face and then the next 2 miles I went back and forth from the trail to the blacktop (certain areas were definitely too thick for running in shorts)...I felt like a little kid... I covered the 2nd 3 miles of my run faster than my first 3 and the time just FLEW by when I was sprinting thru that brush....I want to trail run some more... Big grin
    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

First, Join this group: http://runningahead.com/groups/Trails Second, I recommend reading a couple of articles that I wrote last year about trail running. The first was on a trail running clinic at a local running store (Trail Running 101) and the second was an article about how to fit more trail running into your weekly mileage (Trail Running for Road Runners) Trail running is a lot of fun. It builds up more strength than running on roads, it beats your body down less than roads, it's a lot of fun, there's no traffic (or less at any rate), the air tends to be cleaner - it's just plain fun. Did I mention that? I ran trails quite often in college, but ignored them for the most part since graduating. Last Summer I started having some achilles issues so I started running a couple of times per week with a local trail running group and I've fallen in love with it. I may not run as fast on the trails, but that doesn't really bother me. It'll leave me healthier and allow me to run more miles and I enjoy doing it, so I get out there at least once and sometimes 2 or 3 times per week. Now that the trails are covered in snow it's even more work, which is great conditioning for the early Spring Marathon.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thank you very much Sir! Good info, and I've joined now... Cool
        "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

David, that is so awesome! I tell ya', that Gamin sitting on my wrist during runs really has me thinking naughty off-road thoughts. Half of me thinks I should just throw caution to the wind and hit the trails, but the other half is the paranoid of dogs and creepy peeps. Gah. I wish tazers were legal to carry in MI. I'd invest in one today if I could legally use it in the event that I'm attacked. Guns are legal, but they scare me.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Gah. I wish tazers were legal to carry in MI. I'd invest in one today if I could legally use it in the event that I'm attacked. Guns are legal, but they scare me.
            I'd trust a semi-auto pistol over a single shot taser unit. and now back to trail running... I'm considering doing a 10 mile trail run (race) in Waco, TX in March. I checked out part of the park a couple weeks ago and it looks like a great place to get injured. Cool

Vim

David, that is so awesome! I tell ya', that Gamin sitting on my wrist during runs really has me thinking naughty off-road thoughts. Half of me thinks I should just throw caution to the wind and hit the trails, but the other half is the paranoid of dogs and creepy peeps. Gah. I wish tazers were legal to carry in MI. I'd invest in one today if I could legally use it in the event that I'm attacked. Guns are legal, but they scare me.
              I tossed my Garmin yesterday (seeing as I knew it was 3 miles there and 3 miles back) and had a GREAT time...I was really only about 1/10th of a mile away from the main road, but here in AZ that's enough to get in some thick brush... I'd like to head up to Bisbee (about 20 miles away) and see what they've got for "off road" running...

My sweet new crank!

I have learned to LOVE trail running, it is a pefect escape from the city, and nice that there are good trails within a mile or two of home OR work. I do agree running naked (sans Garmin) is a good feeling just to get away. Glad to hear about the trails group, I will join that one too!
                Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
                  Trail running is the BEST! we-haw! zoom-zoom, I carry a little canister of pepper spray (attached to a Livestrong-style bracelet) when I run trails. It's creep repellant. I was attacked once (yes, on a trail) and I don't want to have to give up trails because of one SOB.
                  kcam

I hear ya! I do 100% of my running alone and some of the places I go are so beautiful and solitary but no matter how enjoyable I'd never consider running in some of these places if I was a lone female. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Life is Good

I recommend a nice can of Pepper spray (preferably foam no blow back in a wind) it is lite to carry and does the job when needed... works well on critters as well as pervs Big grin Photobucket

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

msl

I hear ya! I do 100% of my running alone and some of the places I go are so beautiful and solitary but no matter how enjoyable I'd never consider running in some of these places if I was a lone female. Oh well, you win some you lose some.
                        Holy crap! No you guys got me paranoid. I ALWAYS run trails though a forest. I NEVER had any feeling that some creepy person would get me! But now I am second guessing....I live in Germany which is typically safer...the forest is usually full of people. I don't even know if I can buy pepper spray here..