2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

We have loads of 10ks that are 9.85kms to 9.99 kms 😳 Kiwi certified 😉

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I forgot to include this in my training plan: travel to NZ to improve my times and feel better about my overall fitness!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

In Connecticut only 5k courses that are less than 4.80 km or more than 5.20 km are allowed. A 5k that is actually 5.0 km is illegal. 

2:52:16 (2018)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Hey all- just popping in. Work is crazy, kids are busy, and the Olympics means I'm not sleeping as much as I should. Mostly healthy again and training. Going for an assessment tomorrow to try to keep my left lower leg healthy. Had some plantar and Achilles to work through and then of all things after running a bazillion miles....shin splints on my left side. Started a bunch of exercises 3 weeks ago that are finally paying off with lots of icing post run then heat before I go for a run..

10 ish weeks to Mankato Marathon. Likely not a PR attempt as previously planned but goal will be top 3 and possible win based on past races at this smaller marathon.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DPS - good to hear from you, stick around.

JT - what a run of weather we've had huh? It's like all the heat we usually get went west. I can't remember the last time we got such great weather for basically 2 weeks straight.

Me - I've been working with a PT for about a month now. I went for a plantar issue that's been bothering me since last September, but he's come in handy for some other groin issue that popped up about a month ago. I've had a weird string of injuries on my left leg, but it all stems from the one groin injury that then led to compensation elsewhere (more currently, a very light strain / super tightness in my upper Achilles). I have to say that having a PT available during this marathon training is going to be so important. I'm trying to ramp up to my usual 70-80+ MPW, but having started literally from 0 this year, it's putting a lot of strain on my body.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac: It's definitely great to see a good PT during marathon training. It's good you're dealing with your issues proactively and what sounds like early on, before they get serious. Historically I've waited until an injury/issue is serious before going to the PT; need to deal with it earlier.

I agree, the weather has been great these last couple weeks. Strange how June and July were so hot and humid, and now August is cooler. But looks like it will go back to hot and humid this weekend, at least around here. 

The women's marathon is tonight; go Molly, Sally and Aliphine!

jhudak55

The women's marathon is tonight; go Molly, Sally and Aliphine!

I'm really looking forward to both marathons the next two days! Did you catch the 5k final? Impressive last lap from Paul Chelimo, it looked like he was tieing up with around 250m to go, but some how held on for the medal.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm not even reading what Jhud said about the 5K, I won't get to watch that until tonight. We need spoiler alerts! Definitely looking forward to the marathons. I don't know how to feel about Galen. Hard to not root for USA, but the Salazar stuff makes me sick.

JT - I blew through my deductible and out of pocket max for an earlier issue this year (I got bit by a mite that gave me some weird infection, yay NYC!), so my PT is free now. t Makes it a lot easier to go to PT weekly when it is completely free . I really wanted to tackle this stuff early like you said: I've had way too many injuries that I just said "meh this is soreness" and it slowly progresses into a major injury. I'm also bad about leg strengthening work so he's a good way to force me to do it.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I need to record the marathon. I MIGHT be able to watch it live, but I hate commercials and watching the marathon is probably as exciting for me as NASCAR.

JMac best of luck ramping up the miles. It was crazy impressive seeing your runs on Strava. 70-80 seems low though. I thought you liked more miles?

5k final I'm expecting a pack of runners for the first 3k, then slowly break away and a 55 second finishing lap. The kick on these guys is fucking in-SANE to me. I couldn't hang with them for a single lap at the start. If I was a nerd I'd break down the speed increase as a percentage of their running speed and see if it compares to me going from a 6:50 to a 6:20 at the end of a race.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

MOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, I think my heart rate got up to about 180 watching the last few miles of that race!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

MOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, I think my heart rate got up to about 180 watching the last few miles of that race!

I could not believe what I was watching. I remember watching the trials and being proud of her effort as a "what a great accomplishment." She's such a great story.

Eliud otoh just confirmed (as if he needed it) that he is the GOAT. There's nobody close. Sad we still haven't (and now probably never will) see the Bekele showdown. Even if Eliud lost that though, it's not close in my mind.

Marby

Ash

Been loving the Olympics!  Keeping it marathon specific – Molly’s run was epic, shout out to Sinead for 10th at age 44. Bekele isn’t done, wins in Paris at age 42 and takes back the crown.

Jhudak: Looks like the fitness progression continues. Well done on the parkrun PB.
                          Flavio: Hope you are feeling more rested.
                          Cal: Good job skating to sub 1:30.
                          JMac: Congrats on the race win and not pressing panic. As a wise man once said… build it and it will come.  Or something like that.
                          Problem: Welcome to official marathon training, it’s fun, more so when you aren’t coughing.
                          Andres: Maybe keep an eye on the forecast and time trial something in the best that you can find?
                          DPS: Olympics here were ‘regular’ hours here, must have been challenging over there. Hope you get on top of that leg stuff pronto.

103k for the week.

M:10k easy
                          T: 15k with 7x300m hills
                          W: 12k easy
                          T: 16k with 3k, 2x2k, 4x1k

3k (4:21, 4:14, 4:13) off 2min jog.
                          2x2k (4:07, 4:06 & 4:06, 4:10) off 2min jog.
                          4 x1k (4:00 & 4:01 & 4:00 & 3:55) off 1min jog.

F: 8k easy
                          S: 15k easy
                          S: 26k with 12k@MP (4:16)

I’m now 4 weeks since the last marathon and 9 weeks out from the next.  Mind and body needed a decent break and it was only this week that saw the first introduction of ‘proper’ sessions and under a new coach.  Thu and Sun both felt a bit harder than I would have liked but should provide the right sort of stimulus to get where I want.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

I could not believe what I was watching. I remember watching the trials and being proud of her effort as a "what a great accomplishment." She's such a great story.

Eliud otoh just confirmed (as if he needed it) that he is the GOAT. There's nobody close. Sad we still haven't (and now probably never will) see the Bekele showdown. Even if Eliud lost that though, it's not close in my mind.

Dominant run by Kipchoge. I wondered if he had gone a bit too early but he crushed it all the way. Almost seemed like Rupp pissed him off, clipping his heels or something and triggered his break. Reminded me of the rainy Berlin (2017) when Guye Adola was shadowing him and Kipchoge got pissed and dropped him.

Absolutely Kipchoge is the marathon GOAT. Not sure about all-around GOAT. Bekele was unmatched in world XC and on the track, plus don't forget he ran within 2 seconds of Kipchoge's marathon WR. I wonder if Kenny will run Berlin next month, and drop a near WR like he did in 2016 after not being put on the Rio team...

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

JT - I figure Hasan thought of the triple when she checked the weather forecast. No way she could accomplish as much if all the races were fast.

Good job at the 8 miler.

Kenenisa Bekele has now twice run almost the world marathon record (2 seconds above each time) LOL he must feel bad about it.

JHud - Oh, going out too fast on a 5k, happens to all of us. Great job and I reckon you’re facing warm weather so a nice fitness check for you.

Darkwave - I can’t wait for the site “Darkwave running club”

Cal - a sub 1h30 half great job! Also it’s so sweet that Mikkey finally created a Strava account so he could give you kudos.

Jmac - winning a race is awesome, regardless of who show up. I’ve one exactly one race in my life, it was an 8k park run the day before the city marathon, so nobody fast showed up, and there was no podium at the end as it was part of a series of races. I still feel good about that day.

RP - You’re overthinking it, just get the shot. It’s the same with wearing your seat belt and not dumping that bastard kid on his head that keeps screaming in the airplane.

OMR - I reckon if we had a trophy for king of legs it would have 2 legs pointing up Big grin

DPS - good to hear from you

me - I had a rough week. What seems to be a case of food poisoning where instead of having my body expel it all out had me blocked for 3 days and during that time I was feeling light headed.

The next day I expelled that bad spirit in the toilet and started feeling better soon after.

On Friday we took a 6h flight to Bogota in Colombia which broke my back. Then Bogota is at a bit of elevation (8500 feet 2600 m above sea level) so had to adjust my run to run slower.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio: Sorry to hear about the very rough week! I'm glad the lightheadedness/high BP resolved once you expelled the "demon". Food poisoning always sucks, no matter which end stuff is expelled. That's some serious altitude, I can see how you and your wife would need to cut back and take it slower. Hope that this coming week is a good one for you.

Marby: Solid week getting back into it.

I feel bad for Gidey: pretty much her only chance of winning, given Hassan's kick and her lack of one, was to run WR pace. And even then there's a good chance Hassan would have held on and kicked past her. Props to Hassan though for 2 golds and a bronze, that is a great haul for one Olympics.

My week: Wednesday's workout was planned to be 8-10 at MP heart rate, which for me is around 165. I felt lousy the first couple of miles but then pretty good for the rest, and ended up doing 10. The pace was faster than I expected for that HR (6:16 average) which was a pleasant surprise, and hopefully indicates things are on the right track.

This coming week looks awful weather-wise: temps near 90 every day and dew points at or over 70, so the mid-week workout might be scaled back for me. By Sunday it looks like it will cool off a bit so I may try to do a LR with some MP miles.

Weekly for period: From: 08/02/2021 To 08/08/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in ft
                                08/02 Morning Run 6.29 10.12 54:51 8:43 5:25 397
                                08/03 Morning Run 10.59 17.04 1:28:20 8:20 5:11 594
                                08/04 Morning Run w/ 10 @ HR = 165 13.22 21.27 1:27:45 6:38 4:08 525
                                08/05 Morning Run 8.26 13.28 1:10:30 8:32 5:19 486
                                08/06 Morning Run 10.06 16.19 1:25:36 8:31 5:17 561
                                08/07 Trail run with Matthew 8.02 12.91 1:12:57 9:06 5:39 512
                                08/08 Long run 17.44 28.06 2:20:52 8:05 5:01 1096

Total distance: 73.88 mi