2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Speed Surplus

"SC - are you pacing your wife?"

No, I'd happily do it, but we have two kids that would need childcare and it would cost more than the race itself!

"SClever - Best of luck to your wife! Which marathon is it?"

Thanks! It's Seattle Rock and Roll.

"SC I noticed you were running more often. I was thinking about you when I saw those marathons in Snoqualime were looking for pacers. apparently they are having 4 marathons on that hill this year. Good luck this weekend."

If I get a PR in the 5k, I'll try to squeak into the August Tunnel race if it's still open.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave - I don't know if you've ordered spare Garmin cables before, but I'd recommend going with the (ridiculously expensive for what it is) Garmin OEM cable. I've experimented with 3rd party cables and at best they're really hit-and-miss regarding if they'll let you transfer data or not (no issues charging, though).

Anyone who knows - Are the Vaporfly 4%s really good enough to pick up 20% off for a guy who has never run in Nike's before?

I put this in sub-90, but thought I'd drop it here as well for some more input: For the last few weeks I've been experimenting with a higher-cushioned pair of shoes for easy and LRs (Altra Torin 3.5), and using my usual Altra Escalantes for speedy days. While I can certainly tell a difference between the cushion in the shoes, I'm not sure that it's really making much difference fore me - if that makes sense. Has anyone else noticed something like this? It really makes me want to just rotate a couple pairs of the Escalante for training days and call it good.

Thanks for the OEM tip.

VFs - very much worth a try.  They are an acquired taste, and they are not as magic as some would claim.  But they are a very good shoe that manages to be both very fast and very light.  Keep in mind that you can't judge them based on an easy run - you really need to run at marathon pace or tempo for them to feel good.

For easy days, I think you should go with whatever feels most comfortable and you stay most injury free in (messy wording, but you know what I mean).  There's no rule that your easy day shoes must be heavier/more cushioned - that's just what turns out to be the case for most.

I wear Nike Frees for most easy days.   I use the Adios for most workouts and some races, and the Vaporfly for other races.  I'm pretty sure the Nike Free is lighter than both the Adios and the Vaporfly, and it's definitely much less cushioned.  But it's the shoe I stay healthiest in.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

an interesting read:

https://www.1843magazine.com/features/for-women-running-is-still-an-act-of-defiance

rlk:  an interesting read, indeed.  thanks for sharing.

hey to all of you.  i've been a bad forumite. the world of academia came to an end (for the year) about a month ago, and it's taken me about four weeks to begin to come down from the stress.  i took about ten days off from running, because the thought of going for a run added stress to my life, and i removed myself from the Kettle Moraine 100M for the same reason.  but, that is all in the past now, and i am looking toward my post-55th birthday life.  probably won't set any pr's , but maybe i'll get into sub-3:20 shape someday...

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk:  an interesting read, indeed.  thanks for sharing.

hey to all of you.  i've been a bad forumite. the world of academia came to an end (for the year) about a month ago, and it's taken me about four weeks to begin to come down from the stress.  i took about ten days off from running, because the thought of going for a run added stress to my life, and i removed myself from the Kettle Moraine 100M for the same reason.  but, that is all in the past now, and i am looking toward my post-55th birthday life.  probably won't set any pr's , but maybe i'll get into sub-3:20 shape someday...

So what you're telling us is the whole drama with changing grades and having to text the millennials to do their homework and eat breakfast is over for a few months? Excellent. Bummer about pulling out of Kettle Moraine. I get the mental game. After Chicago and again Mt. Charleston I think I had some lingering depression that (I don't think were caused by the races) kept me from running more than usual. Sometimes just a 3 mile 30 minute run breaks that up though.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

omr- welcome back to the internet. big changes are hard! be extra patient and kind to yourself. looking for another gig, or is this the beginning of retirement?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Rune - hi! Hope you can get your issues worked out. That sounds like a long time to be injured.

rlk - I hope you can get things figured out before it benches you for 7 months!

Beryl - I ran St. George in 2010. Love the picture sandstone medals!

Keen - I love your wildlife reports on Strava!

Clever - good luck to your wife!

OMR - I hope you get away from the stress in whatever way. It's definitely an adjustment to race post-peak.

HI everyone else!  I am racing (for some value of racing) the Steamworks Half on Saturday. My goal is to beat my sucky time from two years ago.  May or may not happen, but if I can run a well-paced race (as opposed to two years ago) I will be happy.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ilana - Best of luck on the HM this weekend! I enjoy the wildlife as well. I'm not sure increased sightings in spring/summer are worth the cost in heat & humidity, but I'll take it!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

OMR

Brew:  Yes, it is over for a few months.  I may have missed it earlier, but whatever happened with that job interview you had?

rlk:  I am giving the current gig one more year, and will keep my eyes open for other opportunities.  In the meantime, I will be ignoring the negative people I have to deal with as much as possible, and try to keep things in better balance.  This includes getting back to more serious running/training.

ilana:  Yeah, I think I need to check out the age grade %, and see if I can get to 80% AG.  I was pretty close before, but never quite made it at any distance.  Good luck with the half!  Go get that sucky time!

I haven't officially signed up for anything yet, but my sights are set on the Black Canyon 100K (Feb. 2020) as my next goal race, while throwing in some shorter stuff along the way.  First up will probably be a 5K on July 17th, three days after I turn 55.  I've been struggling with how to get back into shape/prepare, so I decided to join the McMillan Run Team website, just to check it out.  It's a 14-day free trial period, then a monthly fee.  So far (three days in), I like it.  But then again, I haven't had to pay for it yet!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

OMR - I've seen some people get good results with McMillan. I'm not personally a fan of canned training or on-line coaching, but I think if you're going to go that way, McMillan is the best.

Ilana - eagerly awaiting the race report.

SC - how did the marathon go?

I never posted last week, so I'll do a two-fer this week:

Last week: 51 miles, 7 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
                    M: 3.5 warm-up, road mile in 5:37 (79/88/86/84), 3.5 cool-down.  Later 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                    T: 6 miles very easy (8:53), yoga, and 4 miles very easy (8:57)
                    W: 7 "miles" pool-running, and upper body weights/core.
                    Th: 7 miles including 1 mile uptempo (6:08) and DIY yoga
                    F: 4 miles very easy (8:52) and DIY yoga
                    Sa:  3.5 warm-up, 5K race in 19:27 (6:00/6:06/6:36/0:43), 3.5 cool-down.  Later 500 yards recovery swimming.
                    Su:  12 miles moderately progressive, from 9:22 down to 7:06, then light leg strengthwork and 1500 yards swimming.

This week:61 miles, 16 "miles"  of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
                    M: yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running
                    T: 12 miles, including an 8K tempo on the track in 32:11 (splits of 6:27/6:26/6:29/6:30/6:19).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1200 yards recovery swimming.
                    W: 8 miles very easy (8:56), drills, strides, yoga, and 4 miles very easy (8:51)
                    Th: Upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
                    F: 12 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:24 (6:14/6:10) and 6:03; ~4:30 jogging recovery.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 1250 yards recovery swimming.
                    Sa: 4 miles very easy (8:48), then stopped and cheered at a race.  Then did 6 miles very easy (9:03), followed by drills/strides, upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga.
                    Su: 15 miles, including a workout of 3x3 miles at marathon pace-ish.  Averaged 6:42, 6:45, and 6:42 for the three sets; float recovery of a mile in 7:30-7:40 pace between each.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 550 yards recovery swimming.

Two weeks to go until my goal half-marathon (Garry Bjorklund half, once again)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

my week:  (calf strain seems better, but I don't trust it...)

M: 1mi easy + 1h XT + weights

T: spin

W: 3 easy + 1h XT

Th: weights

F: 7 easy

S: 3 easy

S: rd

total = 14

Here's a good interview with Ryan Hall... lots of stuff on nutrition, weights, testosterone, etc.

Such a good guy...not sure why Amuse bad-mouthed him so much.

berylrunner

Rick

Registered for the Utah Summer Games 10k and 5k.  10k is Friday and 5k is Saturday.   I have done very little running because of a remodel and then hay harvest.  Call me crazy but I think I can pr in both distances.  Open to suggestions.  Thinking a conservative progression run for the 10k and run the 5k all out if the 10k doesn't flare up injuries.  If I run this week, easy with a few strides.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

OMR

beryl:  You’re crazy!  ;-)

Dwave:  I normally would agree (canned plans and online coaching), but I need something different for a while, and this provides a bit of both worlds.  The canned plans have built-in flexibility, and I think if I have one or two “intelligent questions” to ask a month, then I will probably gain enough information to make it worth the money.  So, we’ll see.  The first official week of training begins today, as I am now officially signed up for the Black Canyon 100K.

My week:

M:  6

T:  6

W:  8

T:  8.4

F:  6.3

S:  Rest

S:  6.2

Total:  40.9, all of it easy.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ilana - Need a race report!!

SC - How'd your wife's marathon go?

DWave - Nice weeks. I know a couple local people who are running that HM or Grandma's this year - not as many as in the past, for some reason.

Rovatti - Glad the strain is feeling better. Also, Ryan Hall became huge after he retired from running!

Beryl - Your approach sounds good to me. Likely because it's what I'd probably do myself.

OMR - Best of luck with the new training approach! Any tune-up (utras/marathons) you're thinking about before BC100k next year?

I'm now within 16 weeks of my next planned half, and 18 away from what I think will be a goal race (should really decide on that for real). The next half isn't one that could be considered a PR attempt - it's quite hilly and will almost certainly be very hot/humid - but I do want to make a good showing for it.
                              I'm getting more used to doing workouts by time and effort since everything is on rolling hills now - trying to time intervals to minimize the downhill portions. It still takes a bit of a reality check/pep talk when I see how long a 400 took me or how far I went during a timed Interval and I automatically want to compare it to what it would have been on the track.
                              Still trying to decide on that Bad Idea nightime 50k next month, too. It would be a good excuse to buy a new pair of shoes...

ETA: Had absolutely GLORIOUS weather this morning! ~58*, DP 52*, with an 8-10mph north wind. Far better running weather than anything since at least early April.

Monday, Jun 03, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 09, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                              Mon 13.2 7:42 Reps on the roads. 2x (10x 1/4mi) 146 (74%) strava
                              Tue 10.1 8:09 My hamster wheel needs a fan - NYC 138 (70%) strava
                              Wed 10.1 8:30 1 hawk, 1 deer (1 stride), & another runner 145 (74%) strava
                              Thu 10.2 7:23 6x 4 min I 151 (77%) strava
                              Fri 10.6 8:17 2 Mississippi kites, 1 deer (1 stride), and the "it has rained a lot recently" waterfall 143 (73%) strava
                              Sat 16.5 8:16 TJM LR 80: Tales from the Iditarod 350 141 (72%) strava
                                70.7 8:03

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Speed Surplus

RE: Wife's marathon. It went pretty well! She went out very conservatively given her recent IT band issues and a lot of warnings from me (21 minute positive split in my first ever marathon). The course is pretty tough (about 2,000 feet egain) and it was a hot day, but she finished strong and at the end felt as though she could have gone faster in spots. She said the main things holding her back were fears about the IT band locking up and some GI issues. She finished in 5:15 and wasn't too happy about that time - she's already got revenge marathons on the brain Big grin

My week - only 25 miles of running and one ebike double. Was planning on 10-13 last night, but got caught up doing a major yard project with the neighbors and decided I should take the time to complete it while they were helping me.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                                Mon 3.4 9:06 0:30 30 min recovery 125 (68%) 98 strava
                                Tue 4.5 8:15 0:37 Felt like I had dust in my lungs after dusty kids' baseball practice 139 (76%) 208 strava
                                Wed 5.6 8:29 0:47 Wasn't feeling it but found some coworkers to tag along with 133 (72%) 237 strava
                                Thu 1.1 8:05 0:09 WU 128 (70%) 0 strava
                                Thu 2.2 7:07 0:15 6x400, 200 jog rest. Splits 87, 85, 83, 83, 83, 84 138 (75%) 0 strava
                                Thu 1.1 9:25 0:10 CD 142 (77%) 94 strava
                                Fri 18.6 3:06 0:57 Easy E 125 (68%) 987 strava
                                Fri 18.6 3:00 0:55 Skipped lunch run, but this counts as 10% of a run, right? 118 (64%) 772 strava
                                Sat 7.2 7:56 0:57 🐝+😬 but otherwise pretty nice 147 (80%) 243 strava
                                  62.3 5:09 5:21     2639

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12