still sore two days after 5k. is ok to light jog? (Read 2468 times)

dallasboycows

I'm still very sore after my second 5k. I ran it much faster than my training runs. Should I take one more day to heal. Or go ahead and light jog. I did have tendonitis after last race. Took 3 weeks off and just cross trained and then did this race.

hard to say what best for you, but I can tell you that if it were me, Id be going for a very easy light jog....

Champions are made when no one is watching

or you could do an easy jog/walk as well.  whatever helps you to recover.  very light jog or jog/walk will definitely help with working out any muscle soreness or remaining lactic acid buildup.  or even just go out for a relaxing walk.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

or you could do an easy jog/walk as well.  whatever helps you to recover.  very light jog or jog/walk will definitely help with working out any muscle soreness or remaining lactic acid buildup.  or even just go out for a relaxing walk.

I'm far from any exercise physiologist, but I thought lactic acid buildup cleared several orders of magnitude faster than that.

But back to the point -- I often feel better after a recovery jog. I suppose the blood flow might be helpfully causing that.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

But back to the point -- I often feel better after a recovery jog. I suppose the blood flow might be helpfully causing that.

Works for me too.  I've noticed that when I do a light run the night after racing in the morning, or the next morning, there is little to no soreness.  I use to take the day after and sometimes two days off after a race and usually have alot of soreness.  I'd say do a nice easy run.  Very easy to get that blood flowing.

Light  jogging is very good for recovery! Also, cold baths work wonders too

kitt-cat

I'd say a really light jog, just to get the blood flowing, but nowhere near strenuous enough to cause any muscle damage typical of training runs. when not running, you should ice the areas where you are sore to help clear out some of the swelling and inflammation, and not prolong the achiness.

Go for a run, my man.  My general rule is to run through soreness, unless it becomes "ouch" pain or it causes me to alter my gait.

Kitt-cat: Your typical training runs should not be particularly strenuous and should not cause muscle damage!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Ostrich runner

I recommend an aromatic ingestible made by fermenting and distilling barley that has been toasted over a peat fire.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

I recommend an aromatic ingestible made by fermenting and distilling barley that has been toasted over a peat fire.

nice.

soreness days later is not lactic acid.  You just worked your muscles in new ways.  If you do not run at all, they will heal tight.  Run easily until you are not sore anymore.  I force myself to run 4 days after all-out marathons....despite really bad pain....because I know a couple weeks later I will be glad I did.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, and I always give myself the option to turn back if the run feels terrible.  It almost never happens.

Fast Ninja

I'm still very sore after my second 5k. I ran it much faster than my training runs. Should I take one more day to heal. Or go ahead and light jog. I did have tendonitis after last race. Took 3 weeks off and just cross trained and then did this race.

I ALWAYS consider to soak it in an icy water to heal then hot water to drain some waste products into the blood stream rest it for 2 days then go for a walk then if you feel running GO! fast pace.. LISTEN TO YOUR body

Why is it sideways?

Ask a bunch of runners whether you should run.

Guess what answer you will get.

nice.

soreness days later is not lactic acid.  You just worked your muscles in new ways.  If you do not run at all, they will heal tight.  Run easily until you are not sore anymore.  I force myself to run 4 days after all-out marathons....despite really bad pain....because I know a couple weeks later I will be glad I did.

I misspoke about the lactic acid, thanks for the correction.  next time will "think before responding"   for me, I find it is best to run the next day (usually next few days) before a day off.  If I do not run very next day, then day 2 or 3 after are always much more difficult.  I am abit sore/tight this am from yesterday.  not so much from the 5k (disappointing time by the way) but from the 2 1/2 hrs of yardwork in the afternoon.   will be out pounding (slowly) the streets/trails in about an hour after bkst digests.  going to be a scorcher in Seattle today.  80 !!  ha, ha  first since last August.

Feeling the growl again

going to be a scorcher in Seattle today.  80 !!  ha, ha  first since last August.

Must be nice.  As I get older I wonder if moving further south was such a good idea.  Though I did manage to force myself out the door at dawn this morning...it was about 60...it was everything I remembered it to be.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills