chrome post lock-up (Read 675 times)

"run" "2" "eat"

hey. did a quick search and didn't see anything on this. i just started using chrome and when i am at RA, it will occasionally lock up when i am posting in a forum. what happens is that i will create my post just fine, and when i click the post button, the refresh spinner on the tab will spin verrrrry slowly. i don't know if it would ever come back. i end up copying my post, closing the tab and reopening it, then pasting my post in, and then it will work fine. i haven't been able to discern a pattern. just wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of thing with chrome.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Why is it sideways?

hey. did a quick search and didn't see anything on this. i just started using chrome and when i am at RA, it will occasionally lock up when i am posting in a forum. what happens is that i will create my post just fine, and when i click the post button, the refresh spinner on the tab will spin verrrrry slowly. i don't know if it would ever come back. i end up copying my post, closing the tab and reopening it, then pasting my post in, and then it will work fine. i haven't been able to discern a pattern. just wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of thing with chrome.

In my experience, if chrome has been open for a while it can get buggy. I think this is a chrome issue rather than an RA issue. Restarting the browser seems to take care of this with no issues.

Yeah, what Jeff said. Whenever I have a problem with Chrome the first thing I usually do is clear the cache, it's a pretty common fix and it seems to work about half the time. When Chrome is open hit control-shift-delete to bring up the history menu.

"run" "2" "eat"

okie doke! 

thanks, y'all. 

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Prince of Fatness

i just started using chrome and when i am at RA, it will occasionally lock up when i am posting in a forum.

Really?  I thought that Chrome rocks.

Not at it at all. 

"run" "2" "eat"

aw, c'mon man... what's a little lock-up between friends?

"run" "2" "eat"

after having used chrome a bit more, both at work on an winXP pc and at home on a win7 netbook, i have found that RA is the only site that does the "slow spin and never reload page" thing. 

eric :)

R2E,

When Chrome is in this state, can you still access its menu items?  Does it happen every time you post?

"run" "2" "eat"

it doesn't happen every time i post, and i haven't been able to see a pattern yet, sorry. 

but, chrome itself doesn't seem to be locked up because i can sort of knock it around a bit and it will come back to me. like, i will go to post something and hit post, and then the page refresh indicator will turn..... very..... slowly...... so i will realise it's not going to post, so i will copy my post so as not to lose it, paste it into notepad or somesuch, and then i will quickly hit several bookmarks in the (very, very lame) bookmark bar in chrome. i'll click through several sites and come back to RA, reopen the post window, make my post by pasting from either the clipboard or from notepad if i've cleared the clipboard, hit the button, and wahlah it works fine. i don't close chrome, i just sort of knock it about a bit - go to different sites and come back to RA.

"run" "2" "eat"

it just happened with that previous post.

"run" "2" "eat"

if i post really quickly and don't spend a lot of time composing then it doesn't happen.

"run" "2" "eat"

maybe chrome is trying to tell me something.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Keep 'em short.

When it happens again, could you open the JavaScript console by going to Tools -> JavaScript Console and see if there are any error messages there?  It's possible that there was an error that prevented the page from posting back.

Which version of Chrome are you on?  I'm using Chrome 17.0.963.56 (should be the latest version) to type this message.

Another thing, while looking through Chrome's JavaScript console output, I noticed a lot of warnings/errors regarding Google specific ads (like switch to Chrome or try Google+).  It's possible that these ads are doing something bad (which could be the wrong word because we all know Google's motto is "do no evil") and they are interfering with the forum code.  Could you see if there's a correlation between the ad and the problem?