First 5K (Read 1845 times)

Rookie Runner

Hi, all,

I'm pretty much brand new to running - I just started in January, and couldn't even run a mile then.  I've since worked my way up to where I'll be running my first 5K next weekend  (My long run to date is 2.75 miles).  So, I'm wondering what to expect?  Is it going to feel different from my training runs?  Extra adrenaline due to the roar of the crowd, maybe?

The course is a one-mile loop, which (obviously), we'll be running 3.1 times.  I live in Western PA, so nothing here is flat, including this course.  I had a 2 mile training run on this same course two weeks ago, and I completed it successfully, though it was pretty difficult for me.  I don't know what my time was.

My best mile time is 9:09, and today, I did an "easy" run of 2.25 miles at just under 11:00/mile.  Because of the difficulty of the course for the 5K, I'm expecting my times to be around 12:00/mile.

So, tell me... what can I expect out of my first 5K, other than an amazing feeling of accomplishment when I cross the finish line?

Thanks!

Maggie & Molly

congrats on joining the running game.  There are many here that will give you incredible advice and have far more running experience than me but the one thing to try to remember is to stay your pace (whatever your pace may be).  The excitement of a race when the gun goes off or the guy yells go can kick you into a pace so fast that you could find yourself struggling.  So, stay focused on you and not the field.  The only other thing is to totally and completely have fun.  Enjoy and we will all look forward to hearing how you did. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

flatland mountaineer

Take a minute to read the sticky topic at the top of Running 101 by JK (Jake Knight's) first race advice, great advice interspersed with comedy.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Read Cherrieruns and memorize it. I've done one race so far. My story was a lot like yours, and when the gun went I was off and passing basically everyone. I think I beat my personal best 5k time to that date by like 4 minutes, and I paid for it for weeks with calve pain. Feel your stride and find how your heels hitting, get comfortable in the rhythm, and just do your thing. The social aspect can be disorienting but keep in mind you're racing the 5k, not against the runners.

Another big thing for me that I think is on the list (mentioned above) is that you don't wear headphones. The headphones make the whole experience a lot harder, and no one likes passing the person who's doing their own thing to lady gaga.

If you're being given a shirt, don't wear it during the race. Someone else will have the same thing on, it'll be embarrassing.

Oh, and if you're getting an ankle sensor for the race's timing system, check the velcro a lot and maybe jog with it on before you're going. I had it too tight until I was done.

Rookie Runner

Take a minute to read the sticky topic at the top of Running 101 by JK (Jake Knight's) first race advice, great advice interspersed with comedy.

What a great read!  But I have to ask... do I REALLY need to take toilet paper to a 5K?  Smile

Thanks for the great answers, everyone, and keep 'em coming!

Michael, I promise, NO Lady Gaga!

Congrats on starting running and at signing up for a race.......Go to the race a little early, walk around hang with a few runners....run maybe .25 miles just to get warmed up so that your ready to start runnng.....start at the back of the pack, it'll make you feel good to pass a few people and you will pass a few people....

DONT SWEAT IT --- dont even try to run hard, but then again give it an effort........

At the beginning of the race, you'll be tempted to push it hard - so hold back - and start slow  - if you feel good after 2 miles, then push it just a little more --- make sure to save enough energy so you can sprint just a little at the end (it wont really make much of a difference, but it'll really make you feel good)  - if you have never run 5K yet or run a race, then 5K is a LONG WAY for you....so make sure to save a little for the last mile...

MOST IMPORTANTLY - just enjoy the day and don't get too wrapped up around the "race"  - think of it more as an event and enjoy the event...

Based on what you said, you'll be fine for the distance....

ENJOY and write a race report for us all to read.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

keeponrunning

What a great read!  But I have to ask... do I REALLY need to take toilet paper to a 5K?  Smile

Thanks for the great answers, everyone, and keep 'em coming!

Michael, I promise, NO Lady Gaga!

I've never done the toilet paper thing, although once at a trail race myself and the group of girls I was running with all hid in some bushes and did our stuff there, and the tp would have been nice.  It still beat standing in line!

I agree with those who said just to have fun with it.  It's your first race, you worked hard to get here, so enjoy it!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

The only advice I have is to take it easy at first. It is easy to start way too fast and you won't realize it until it's too late. If your longest run is 2.75 mile then take it slow at first and push at the end.

My Little Pony hair.

Start slower than you think that you should, finish strong, don't shit yourself.  Those are my goals at any race.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
                    • run 1000k
                    • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

xor

Man, I would hope that foaming pants is are avoidable in a 5k!

Rookie Runner

Which takes me back to my question... Do I really need toilet paper for a 5K???

keeponrunning

Which takes me back to my question... Do I really need toilet paper for a 5K???

Likely not, in my opinion. 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Rookie Runner

I suppose I could take a roll, give it to two friends, and have them hold it for me as I cross the finish line so that I can "break the tape" and pretend I won Cool

xor

Yes!  That is cool.  AND if you need it for the other thing, you have it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

re: TP

You only need it if you need to go, and the facilities are out of it, or you need to go and decide to take some forested substitute. I'd guess the risk factor is generally really quite low.  On the other hand, it seems pretty common to me to see a LOT of runners lined up for port-o-potties or facilities before races (suggesting they might run out, if they're not well-stocked).

Also, if you're taking a bag with a change of clothes, or shoes, to put on afterward, it might be a cheap addition to toss into your bag. Or as long as you're driving, you might decide it's easy enough to toss a roll into your trunk ahead of time. So the cost of the insurance (bringing TP) can also be pretty low.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.