Boston Runners and Spectators (Read 634 times)

Why is it sideways?

So...apparently it's not as asinine to run a marathon with your cell phone as some people think.

Let's not turn our anger towards each other.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Let's not turn our anger towards each other.

Not trying to, sorry if it came across that way.  Just occurs to me that, even though (God willing) this is likely an extremely isolated event, you just never know what kind of crazy crap can happen during a race, and those with phones were certainly of a benefit to themselves and the other runners that day.  It's something to consider when deciding whether to take one along.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Why is it sideways?

Not trying to, sorry if it came across that way.  Just occurs to me that, even though (God willing) this is likely an extremely isolated event, you just never know what kind of crazy crap can happen during a race, and those with phones were certainly of a benefit to themselves and the other runners that day.  It's something to consider when deciding whether to take one along.

I don't think anyone has made the claim that carrying a cell phone during a marathon is asinine -- though there are some of us (like me) who won't do it for what I think are good (if not universal or pin-you-argumentatively-to-the-floor good) reasons.

To my mind, this event doesn't change any of those reasons, but I guess I can see your point.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I don't think anyone has made the claim that carrying a cell phone during a marathon is asinine -- though there are some of us (like me) who won't do it for what I think are good (if not universal or pin-you-argumentatively-to-the-floor good) reasons.

To my mind, this event doesn't change any of those reasons, but I guess I can see your point.

We may have just had different conversations in different places, then.  It's not a big deal to me...and I'm certainly not belittling people who don't carry one during races.  Just something for all of us to consider, going forward.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Why is it sideways?

We may have just had different conversations in different places, then.  It's not a big deal to me...and I'm certainly not belittling people who don't carry one during races.  Just something for all of us to consider, going forward.

Okay.

I know I was the one who said lets not turn our anger against each other, but your comments here do make me angry. I want to say, "Goddamn it NO way in hell am I changing my view of running or safety or anything in response to these events, and screw you for even suggesting not only that this is a possibility, but something like a responsibility."

But I won't say that because I realize that it's totally irrational to express my anger in this way.

Julia1971

Someone asked me what I planned to do differently and strongly suggested I should carry one. I deflected by telling her I do carry my phone more often than I used to. I was telling her the bigger thing - to me - is that because of my cell phone, I don't know anyone's phone number anymore. But I do have two numbers on my RoadID so when I could get to a phone, I could call someone... I was phone less after the D.C. earthquake but was able to get to a computer so I could update my Facebook status (which is also what I did on Monday to let friends and family know that I wasn't running Boston this year). I guess I'm saying there probably  are a number of things we could do to make contacting loved ones in an emergency easier. And, this goes beyond running since none us carry our phone 24/7. (I hope).

ymmv

Someone asked me what I planned to do differently and strongly suggested I should carry one. I deflected by telling her I do carry my phone more often than I used to. I was telling her the bigger thing - to me - is that because of my cell phone, I don't know anyone's phone number anymore. But I do have two numbers on my RoadID so when I could get to a phone, I could call someone... I was phone less after the D.C. earthquake but was able to get to a computer so I could update my Facebook status (which is also what I did on Monday to let friends and family know that I wasn't running Boston this year). I guess I'm saying there probably  are a number of things we could do to make contacting loved ones in an emergency easier. And, this goes beyond running since none us carry our phone 24/7. (I hope).

Julia, do you know if they still prohibit runners from carrying cell phones at the Army 10 Miler? They did a couple of years ago, and I think we passed thru airport-style metal detectors to enforce it. At the time, it seemed like the most over-the-top security I have seen at a race. Not only that, but if you want your drop bag after the finish, it's right where you left it, about a mile or so from the cordoned off finish area. This is a big race and it  made it tough to hook up with friends afterwards.

I fear that more 'big event' races will do likewise.

Army 10-miler rules from last year:

The following items are NOT allowed on the race course

Video and audio devices (CD or DVD players, mobile phones, MP3 players/iPods, cameras, etc.), weapons, combustible material (lighters and matches), clothing with vulgar writing, aerosol sprays (pepper or mace), strollers, baby-joggers, roller blades, skateboards, bicycles, animals, bags and backpacks.

The following items are ALLOWED on the course

Flags, heart rate monitors, water bottles, GPS watches, pace monitors (not used in conjunction with a listening device), medical kits and gel packs. Water belts and fanny packs are subject to search.

In previous years, they banned the watches and heart-rate monitors.

Julia1971

Save Cheever found it. Looks like they still ban them. I wonder if they instituted that policy after the suspicious package year or if it's always been that way. I think they just look in your bag now and wand you. And that the police/military presence is noticeable.  I don't remember metal detectors last year. But, I think your fear is right.

Julia, do you know if they still prohibit runners from carrying cell phones at the Army 10 Miler? They did a couple of years ago, and I think we passed thru airport-style metal detectors to enforce it. At the time, it seemed like the most over-the-top security I have seen at a race. Not only that, but if you want your drop bag after the finish, it's right where you left it, about a mile or so from the cordoned off finish area. This is a big race and it  made it tough to hook up with friends afterwards.

I fear that more 'big event' races will do likewise.

ymmv

Save Cheever found it. Looks like they still ban them. I wonder if they instituted that policy after the suspicious package year or if it's always been that way. I think they just look in your bag now and wand you. And that the police/military presence is noticeable.  I don't remember metal detectors last year. But, I think your fear is right.

It made me appreciate the contrast with the other huge race at the pentagon, the Marine Corps Marathon. I liked how the FAQ for MCM one year said something like this:

Q: What about security?

A: There will be x-thousand marines there.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Okay.

I know I was the one who said lets not turn our anger against each other, but your comments here do make me angry. I want to say, "Goddamn it NO way in hell am I changing my view of running or safety or anything in response to these events, and screw you for even suggesting not only that this is a possibility, but something like a responsibility."

But I won't say that because I realize that it's totally irrational to express my anger in this way.

Fair enough.  Again, I do apologize, I wasn't trying to be condescending or preachy.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

So...apparently it's not as asinine to run a marathon with your cell phone as some people think.

Don't want to cause friction, but there are good reasons to run with and without a cell phone. I just started carrying mine in long races (half marathon or longer) about 2 years ago. I found that connecting with family after a big race was often chaotic and after standing in the cold for an hour once waiting for my husband to find me when we both thought we were at the right location, I decided that the burden of carrying a phone out-weighed the inconvenience of not being able to find family after the race. Also, for big races I often have friends and family running at different paces slower than mine so I can use the race app after I finish to track them and know when they are finishing. I'd say at Boston, about half the runners had cell phones and half did not. At New York and Boston, you often see people from other countries stopping along the course to take pictures with their cell phones! It seems to be a matter of personal choice.

Big grin

Julia1971

It made me appreciate the contrast with the other huge race at the pentagon, the Marine Corps Marathon. I liked how the FAQ for MCM one year said something like this:

LOL!  And, hoo-ah!

DoppleBock

I personally like to carry $40 and a condom ... just in case I find that special girl at Wellesley ...

I did not / will not carry a cell phone, anyone that want's to that is their choice.  I do make sure I have a meet-up plan, a back up meet-up plan and a final emergency meet-up plan with my family post race.

I was faster than my sister, so I planned to meet My wife and my sister's boyfriend on course @ 3/4 mile before finish.  If that failed, I would meet them at an obscure letter in family meeting area (We chose W - Not many W's out there), finally we would meet at hotel if it hit a certain time.

We managed to meet efficiently post race (My sister had finished 10 minute pre-bombing) without cell phones.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !