100 push-ups/200 sit-ups (Read 6167 times)

How did people feel that pushups helped their running?

I did the 100 pushups challenge in high school. I got to about 92 before I stopped for some reason. I could also do 27 dead-hang pullups, and at 6'2", I was pretty big on the starting line during track and XC. I'm convinced my extra size helped intimidate other people and stop them from passing me, but I don't think I gained a big advantage. I like to pretend the extra momentum was helpful during the kick.

I stopped doing pushups and pullups during the championship season. In a heartbeat I lost about 7lbs, which I guess is the reason I then PR'd by about 8 seconds in the mile for a 4:48. I think that was the only real benefit, though it's pretty neat being forty pounds heavier than everyone else on the line and about 4-6" taller.

I just read an article on RunningTimes about the affect of ANY weight to a runner's frame on his racing times. Granted, it's geared towards masters, but I think it applies to a runner of any age.  I think you just need to be strong enough to maintain good form. Any muscle mass above that is just extra weight. http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=21683

Unless someone is extremely short, height means very little in a distance race. 

btw,I do pushups and pull ups on a regular basis. It's not that I think it helps my running. I do it because I don't want to be that "soft" up top.  

Back in my early 30's - and during my first life as a runner, I was a Captain in the Army.   My standard daily workout was: 100 Push Ups, 100 Set Ups -- 5 to 8 miles run.......and then 1after the run, 100 set ups holding a 10 lb disk on my chest...........

NOW --- Id be lucky if I could do 20 pushups and then next day, I probably couldnt move my arms..........

MY MY how the times have changed....

Champions are made when no one is watching

I haven't done pushups in a long time.  I rode 30 miles on my bike, then saw this thread and decided to see how many I could do.  I did 70, and since the cycling equivalent of one pushup is a mile, I did a 100 pushup equivalent workout.

protoplasm72

I haven't done pushups in a long time.  I rode 30 miles on my bike, then saw this thread and decided to see how many I could do.  I did 70, and since the cycling equivalent of one pushup is a mile, I did a 100 pushup equivalent workout.

Huh, is there a conversion chart like this that I don't know about?  What is the cycling equivalent of typing a response to a forum post?  I'm guessing this post is equal to about .01 miles of cycling.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Huh, is there a conversion chart like this that I don't know about?  What is the cycling equivalent of typing a response to a forum post?  I'm guessing this post is equal to about .01 miles of cycling.  

Ha! No conversion chart that I know of, it's just so because I made it so... by declaration.  You know, sort of like an executive order, only less official.

And my last post was like a joke, only less funny.

Eoin

I started to 100 pushups thing and had to restart week 3 about 3 times and week 5 twice. I got onto week 6 ok but never got more than 80 or so at one go. I stopped doing it in the end, but now I got to the gym twice a week and specifically do core stuff etc. The workout includes 40-50 pushups and 40-50 situps as part of the warmup and 5 sets of 12 bosu ball pushups later on as well as chinups etc. So I do over 100 pushups twice a week and do more at home the other days. As a runner though I don't see the benefit of attaining a specific high number of pushups in one go though.

Eoin

Eoin

Next goal: Sub4hr in DCM

http://eobeara.blogspot.com

Marylander

As a runner though I don't see the benefit of attaining a specific high number of pushups in one go though.

Is there a practical value in attaining a high number of pushups in one go through for anything besides doing it because you want to (and I can understand having an arbitrary goal simply because you want to, I do that myself)?

Cool as a Cucumber

Is there a practical value in attaining a high number of pushups in one go through for anything besides doing it because you want to (and I can understand having an arbitrary goal simply because you want to, I do that myself)?

Perjaps the same reason that we run so many miles at once instead of breaking them up.

The pavement fears me.

Seanv2

For people interested in the 100 push up challenge, or other body weight challenges, I started a group, called Guns and Poses.

Check it out if you're interested:
                    http://www.runningahead.com/groups/GNP

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

ultramarathon/triathlete

I did one of those push up plan things a year or so ago.  I got to 100 after a couple of months of doing them every day.  Then I just sort of forgot about it.   I just tried again and banged out 25 pretty easily and with good form; stopped because I was originally going to just do 10.   Maybe I'll work up to 100 again.  

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

Cool as a Cucumber

I used to be able to do 100, but not anymore. Haven't done pushups in a while. Back at square one, I guess. Hope this helps my running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GslKZP5iCGY

The pavement fears me.

sincerely silly

For a black belt exam a few years ago I used the hundredpushups program to get me to...50.  I managed to stay motivated because it was around the Olympics and so I was kind of pumped up. :-)

I'm trying again actually with some friends.  I hope logging them on fitocracy for points helps me along!

shin splints are my nemesis

I did 60/75 yesterday, although it took 3 sets of 20/25  Smile

Anyone try pullups?  When I belonged to the gym last year I overheard some meathead trying to impress a girl by saying that you had to be able to do at least 10 pullups to be a "real man."  I couldn't help myself, I asked to work in and I busted out 20, and asked him if that made me twice the man he was before walking away.  I've done as many as 23.

I do feel the pushups will help your running (someone asked earlier) for someone with limited upper body strength.  But there's a line I've certainly crossed where you've put on too much muscle mass and it will hurt your running.  I just haven't been able to bring myself to really back off the lifting because of things like hockey and it being good that I can carry 2 sheets of drywall without help because I dont' have the help.  I do a lot of free weights and lift the same # of days/week that I run (between 5 and 6 on average).  I did back off the really heavy lifting - 5 years ago I could bench 335 while now its more like 245 - when I was doing that much I felt slow and I was at 208-210 rather than my current 200.

I think upper body strength contributes to short burst speed, of course if you start looking like the "I lift things up and put them down" guy you've probably crossed that line!

keeponrunning

Anyone try pullups?  When I belonged to the gym last year I overheard some meathead trying to impress a girl by saying that you had to be able to do at least 10 pullups to be a "real man."  I couldn't help myself, I asked to work in and I busted out 20, and asked him if that made me twice the man he was before walking away.  I've done as many as 23.

I do feel the pushups will help your running (someone asked earlier) for someone with limited upper body strength.  But there's a line I've certainly crossed where you've put on too much muscle mass and it will hurt your running.  I just haven't been able to bring myself to really back off the lifting because of things like hockey and it being good that I can carry 2 sheets of drywall without help because I dont' have the help.  I do a lot of free weights and lift the same # of days/week that I run (between 5 and 6 on average).  I did back off the really heavy lifting - 5 years ago I could bench 335 while now its more like 245 - when I was doing that much I felt slow and I was at 208-210 rather than my current 200.

I think upper body strength contributes to short burst speed, of course if you start looking like the "I lift things up and put them down" guy you've probably crossed that line!

I don`t know about the man thing, but since I was just on the thread sharing stories of our `glory days`.

First year of high school track, we got forced inside by an icy day, so we went to the school`s weight room.  The coach wanted to prove to some people how weak they really were, so he had us do push-ups.  The guy before me, I think he liked to think he was good, could not do even one.  I go up, hoist myself up (the bar was kinda high), and do 6 or 7.   The guy didn`t live it down for the last 2 seasons he was on the team, and I started throwing shot putt and discus Tongue 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022