running while preg. (Read 527 times)

for the past two weeks I have not run because I felt like Tongue while come to find out I have a little runner on the way. went out for a lite run 3 mile. felt great took it real slow but I am use to running 40+ a week so I must cut back. what I have noticed is my heart rate is up way up about 150-160bpm on a very easy run when it use to be 140 resting was 54bpm untill last week now its 70! Doc gave the ok but how much is to much I am a runner to the core. Any Moms out there that ran prego? how did you do it and for how long? I go nutz when I can not run!!!!! But I want the best for the new runner Smile

A Saucy Wench

go get the book Exercising through your pregnancy by Dr. James Clapp. It explains in great detail why your heart rate is way up and why the "140" rule is utter hogwash. Your heart rate will come down by the second trimester and in the 3rd trimester it is really hard to get it high. I tried hard, my max HR dropped to ~ 165 crazy. I ran the whole way through my pregnancy - about 20 mpw. I got slower. And planned my routes around portapotties. And eventually my "run" was outpaced by turtles. But I kept running, even did a couple races. When I could no longer run I run/walked, and then walked, and then waddled. Running is good for the baby in most circumstances and depending on how the baby sits some women can run the entire time. And Congrats!!!!!!! MTA: this is when listening to your body becomes key. If runs make you feel good and energized - great, if you feel like you need a nap more after...then probably too much.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Right on Hereford...

A friend of mine writes a blog for Runner's World called "Running for Two." It's all about her experiences running while pregnant. Here's the link: http://babysteps.runnersworld.com/2008/04/index.html She had her baby in April, but if you scroll through the archives you can read about her experiences each month.
          no advice --- just wanted to say congratulations !
          2009: BQ?
          PWL

Has been

My wife ran while she was pregnant up until around the end of the 2nd trimester. She ran 2 half marathons during her 1st trimester and just made sure to try and keep her HR down and made sure she drank a lot of water. She also had an OB that was accepting of the idea and gave her some level of encouragement. Congrats!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Congrats! I did yoga when I was pregnant so I don't have running while pregnant experience, but I will add this. Your body is accustomed to running already so you don't have to stop, but your body will tell you what is too much. I hope you have an easy pregnancy.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Well, congrats! I ran through my 2nd tri and stopped mainly because it was winter and I'm a little accident prone, didn't want to tempt fate Smile Anyway, like the other's have said just take it easy and listen to your body. As long as you're having a healthy preg. there is no need to cut down, the whole keeping the HR under 140 is hogwash. You'll be forced to slow down as the little runner gets bigger, but enjoy your runs as long as you can! I truly believe that by being active through my preg. played a large role in making my labor and recovery quick and easy. Wishing you the best!
                seeEricaRun

Awesome

I wrote an article for a local paper last year concerning exercising through pregnancy. You would not believe the garbage out there - you'd think pregnant women should be bed-ridden. Here's a great pamphlet: http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp119.cfm In addition to the benefits listed, it may also decrease your risk of morning sickness and of vericose veins. There is also some indication that babies born to exercising moms are healthier. The only real concerns are these: New research out last fall indicates that strenuous exercise during the first trimester may increase the risk of miscarriage (from very, very, very low to very, very low). The suspicion is that this is due to the increase in body heat. Put simply, you can sweat, but your fetus can't, so it would probably smart not to go nuts early on. Your joints loosen making you more prone to falls and joint injuries. This is probably more of a concern when, say, playing soccer than running. That said, exercise is supposed to be otherwise great for both you and your new runner, so congratulations!

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I don't have any experience to share - but just wanted to say Congratulations! I hope you can keep running throughout. Smile
                    ~ Fly ~
                    Only as much as I dream can I be.
                    veggies on the run
                      thank you all! I got the book today. but today I will nap Embarrassed like 10 hrs. so I can run/jog in the am. Big grin
                      runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats. A friends D raced six months pregnant and pushing a 2 yr old. My goals was to not let her beat me. She finished about 3 min behind me.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/