Can long runs upset hormonal balances? (Read 536 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Anecdotal evidence: A friend of mine has frequently had bouts of unexplained crying and unusually emotional events in the 24 hours or so following a hard long run of 2-3 hours. His theory is that the run depletes his testosterone and upsets his hormonal levels. Anyone ever heard of that? Similar problems? Other theories? It sounds unlikely to me, but he's convinced...

Roads were made for journeys...

Burninated Peasant

Maybe crying is his normal response to fatigue?
        My first reaction was to say no, but hard run of 2-3 hrs - maybe adrenal issues ? I found some stuff that said short runs can increase levels for a few hours - I thought that only happened with serious weight training. If you find anything - please post - interesting subject. google search results interestingly - there has been research done on determining the sex of your child based on your mileage level - who knew Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I seem to have the opposite problem -- if I have any hormonal shifts they apparently are in the increased testosterone range. My acne seems to be flaring up in recent months and my libido is no longer in the toilet. Maybe men and women have opposite effects from long runs...? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay