Brooks or not? (Read 3030 times)

danazc

For the last year or so I have been using the brooks ghost shoes.  I really like lighter shoes and I am a pretty neutral runner with regular arches.  I am not blazing fast, but I usually hit around 20 min 5k runs and plan on running my first Half Marathon end of summer.  My question is what shoe(s) do you recommend to give me enough support, but yet light enough to not feel the weight of the shoe.  The brooks ghost seems to accomplish that, but I was curious to know if there is anything else I should look at that you really like before I buy another pair of ghosts.  I typically run around 15-20 miles per week.
    danazc

Should I look at the Mizuno Wave® Ronin™ 2 ?  I am looking to go with a lighter shoe than the brooks ghost if possible or something like the Ronin.  Any ideas?

If you are neutral I am a huge fan of the Brooks Launch.  Nice and light, they feel fast, and there is still plenty of cushion to run a full in.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

danazc

How many miles do you get out of them?  I should have gotten new shoes about 3 months ago, but I have been lazy.  I dont want to spend $100+ dollars on a shoe that will last me 200 miles. 

I too love the Launch, I always get comments on it in races. 

Bought it for $70 and hoping to squeeze 400 + miles out of them, I am generally easy on shoes though (my 125 lb frame helps)

I usually change out my shoes around 400 or so.  I thought these would go early when I first got them b/c the outsole looked a bit thin.  To my surprise I got 500+ out of them with no trouble, they wore great. 

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Every Mile is a Gift

I have to echo the kudos on the Brooks Launch. Just finished a 12-miler in them today. I love them! They feel light and fast, yet offer enough support to not feel like a racing flat. I also train in Brooks Defyance 2's, but they're a tad clunkier (still a nice shoe).

Often injured, NEVER giving up.

Runner

One more vote for the Brooks Launch. 

I picked up  a pair last week and have put 40 miles in them.  Did some speed work in them, and did a 22 mile long run in them.  They feel about as fast as my speedwork shoes(Adizero ace and adios rotated) but with lots more cushioned of a feel without a huge compromise in speed perception. 

If you want a little lighter I'd look at the Adizero line by adidas because I've tried Brooks, Asics, Adidas, & Nike versions of tons of shoes.  For me the two most similar feels come from the Brooks and the Adizero line(with Adizero offering some good racing flats for my foot). 

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

If you want a little lighter I'd look at the Adizero line by adidas because I've tried Brooks, Asics, Adidas, & Nike versions of tons of shoes.  For me the two most similar feels come from the Brooks and the Adizero line(with Adizero offering some good racing flats for my foot). 

I am using a pair of the Adizero Boston's at the moment and while I am satisfied with the sole and general performance of the shoe, I really don't like the upper or tongue.  The shoe just doesn't seem to wrap my foot as nicely as some others do, and the tongue is way way to thin.  It is constantly getting folded over as I put the shoe on, and it is too thin to pad the laces when I pull them tight enough.

Runner

I am using a pair of the Adizero Boston's at the moment and while I am satisfied with the sole and general performance of the shoe, I really don't like the upper or tongue.  The shoe just doesn't seem to wrap my foot as nicely as some others do, and the tongue is way way to thin.  It is constantly getting folded over as I put the shoe on, and it is too thin to pad the laces when I pull them tight enough.

I should have mentioned that.  I loved the Adizero CS and when it was discontinued I got a pair of Aces and Bostons at the same time.  The Boston was the worst upper on a shoe that I have ever seen.  I didn't get blisters on my feet I got cuts.   I bled through the shoe, and literally ran in it 3 times before using it as a "yard" shoe.  It is s shame too because it would seem the Boston should compete head to head with the Brooks Launch.  Maybe Adidas will update the upper to the Boston. 

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

galberras

fear the Col Sanders

Another Launch recommendation here.  My wife has gotten tired of me coming home from runs and telling her how much I like them.

The awkward colors are really growing on me, too.  In my last marathon, the orange trim matched the orange d-tag.  I felt so with it and fashionable.

Compared to the Launch, the Ghost seems like a  much heavier shoe.

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

Every Mile is a Gift

Another Launch recommendation here.  My wife has gotten tired of me coming home from runs and telling her how much I like them.

Same here! I'm constantly repeating it, and I think she just ignores my comments now.

Often injured, NEVER giving up.

I should have mentioned that.  I loved the Adizero CS and when it was discontinued I got a pair of Aces and Bostons at the same time.  The Boston was the worst upper on a shoe that I have ever seen.  I didn't get blisters on my feet I got cuts.   I bled through the shoe, and literally ran in it 3 times before using it as a "yard" shoe.  It is s shame too because it would seem the Boston should compete head to head with the Brooks Launch.  Maybe Adidas will update the upper to the Boston. 

If you want to try an salvage them you can try what I did.  My wife got a pair of  yankz at a half-marathon and I put those into the shoes.  The stretchy quality of the yankz allowed the shoe to hold onto my foot with out cutting it to pieces.  I don't know that I would want stretchy laces in all my shoes but they made the Adizero Bostons manageable.

I am going to buy a new pair of Launches for my next marathon, I am only hoping that they come out with a new color before then.  The orange is neat for in a race but a little too much for just about every other situation.

danazc

Ok I think I am going to order a pair of the Brooks Launch.  My only question is I currently have been running in the Brooks Ghost for over a year now and they fit nice.  My question is does the launch fit to the same size as the ghost or should I go up a 1/2 size?  Thanks

I've never worn a pair of ghosts, so I can't compare the two.  I can say they seemed to fit pretty true to size, I generally wear a size 11 and the 11 launches fit just fine.

If anyone else cares about the colors....I did the 'contact Brooks' link from their web page asking if there was going to be a new color released in the near future.  I got the following email back the next day. 

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Brooks Sports. The current and future color ways of the Launch are listed below:

Men's:
                                Current - 681 - Cardinal/Blaze/Silver
                                Releasing 7/01/10 - 007 - Black/Silver/Nightlife

Women's:
                                Current - 341 - Mantis Green/Purple/Silver
                                Releasing 7/01/10 - 474 - Alaska Blue/Silver/Deep Royal/Black/White

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
                                Jenni
                                Brooks Sports Customer Service