Retail Return Guilt (Read 454 times)

I'm typically not much of a push over. In fact, rarely ever. Until I go shopping. What is it about shopping and returns that makes me such a wimp? I bought new running shoes and a new top 2 weeks ago. The shoes promptly gave me blisters, the top wouldn't even go over my head. Roll eyes So I finally worked up the nerve to return the stuff. I always feel so embarrassed...I don't know why. Anyway, I got cheaper shoes, a cheaper top and added on a few Gu's. My total came to $11.23 I'm thinking, noway, can't be. But I didn't say anything. The guy was really nice and helpful, I was afraid to say something and be wrong. So I get to my car and look at the receipt and sure enough. The total was -$11.23 ! So then, I was even more embarrassed to go back in. I'm such a schmuck. Blush You should have seen me go in to have my vacuum cleaner fixed and walked out with a new $1200 machine because that damn salesman was so GOOD. Undecided

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have no such guilt, most of the time (and I rarely pay full retail if I can find an item for cheaper...LOVE froogle.com). If you saw the mark-up on most of what we buy...retailers are getting rich. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

Shop the small local stores--you can feel better about your purchase. The big box stores may be raking in profits but the mark-ups taken in most of the small local stores barely cover costs. I know, I work for one.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

I'm typically not much of a push over. In fact, rarely ever. Until I go shopping. What is it about shopping and returns that makes me such a wimp? I bought new running shoes and a new top 2 weeks ago. The shoes promptly gave me blisters, the top wouldn't even go over my head. Roll eyes So I finally worked up the nerve to return the stuff. I always feel so embarrassed...I don't know why. Anyway, I got cheaper shoes, a cheaper top and added on a few Gu's. My total came to $11.23 I'm thinking, noway, can't be. But I didn't say anything. The guy was really nice and helpful, I was afraid to say something and be wrong. So I get to my car and look at the receipt and sure enough. The total was -$11.23 ! So then, I was even more embarrassed to go back in.
          I hope you went back and got your money back!!! I am sure it was an honest mistake - something any of us could have made if we were working the cash-register! There is a reason stores have return policies - they are designed to balance what is fair for you with what is reasonable for them. As long as you arent doing it on purpose (because I know you really wanted to buy shoes that gave you blisters!!!) your purchase is an agreement that you will buy it unless you return it under certain circumstances. Thats also the reason we like shopping local running stores - so we can get the help and returns!
            nope, I didn't go back. Tongue It is a small, local running store and the guys who work there are really great, knowledgable runners. I just told myself it was a tip. Smile

Jennifer mm#1231

nope, I didn't go back. Tongue It is a small, local running store and the guys who work there are really great, knowledgable runners. I just told myself it was a tip. Smile
              The whole thing is something that I would do! Even to the point of not going back and just chalking it off as a tip.

Michelle