Problem staying erect... (Read 1188 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Despite my 'handle' I try to incline slightly only from the ankles! I find that tilting my butt under and forward straightens out my form when running. Think of the thrust you make during....well you know.....anyway, ...it keeps you more upright and not leaning from the hips. Smile
    I don't get it... can I get pictures? Tongue
      It's a combination of poor form and weak lower back muscles. Try to consciously run with your hips thrust forward and your back straight. Also add some lower back strengthening exercises to your routine. Tom
        I've just read everywhere and seen alot of people run more upright. Everything says that a lean is bad form but I guess you're right. It is how I run. I dunno. I'm working on it, and maybe I just shouldn't worry.
        Good point by Trent. All the suggestions here are helpful but if you're leaning slightly forward but not experiencing any pain or discomfort, then there doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I think we're all "slightly imperfect" runners. I overpronate a little but it doesn't bother me - in fact, correcting it with stability shoes causes more problems. If it ain't broke why fix it?

Funny. I remember when people thought a slight forward lean was good, and my track coach tried to correct my naturally upright running posture. I go with those who advise running naturally, as long as your leaning forward doesn't cause you to overstride, which can lead to injury. (The best benefit to running upright I can think of is that your foot strike tends to be more directly underneath your hips. It's a very efficient way to travel).
          Do bears bear? Do bees be?

The Greatest of All Time

I am so disappointed.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

I am so disappointed.
              Blush Well, I'm awkward at ANY athletic activity. Every time I take a downhill ski lesson, the instructor just looks at me and says something like, "Hmm, I've never seen anyone ski like that before!" Same with running - the coach looked at my running partner and said, "You look great!" Then she looked at me and said, "Well, it's hard to change too much with a runner's form, but you could try this, this, this..." I KNOW I lean forward at my waist. Carps10 would have a field day laughing at me! But frankly, I don't care. My teenaged son, who runs on Carps' level, is proud of me and encourages me all the way. I'm having fun and feeling better than I have my entire life. End of rant!
              Ringmaster

You know, my sometimes-running partner just brought up this issue. Her non-running husband says she leans forward too much when she runs. She, meanwhile, runs for fun, can do a pretty consistent 9-minute-mile 5-miler, and I say, why try to mess with your running form? It's not causing injury, it's not slowing you down, you're not training for the Olympics here. Isn't it more likely you'll end up causing more damage if you're worrying about it every time you're out there? FWIW, I've run with her before and I've never thought she was a sloucher. But, yes, more ab work probably wouldn't hurt any of us.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

flatland mountaineer

My unpaid coach told me last winter to try and lead with my navel as I was running bent at the waist and head down. If you picture yourself running like someone is dragging you forward with a string attached to your belly button your back straightens and everything just seems to fall into place. It sure seemed to help some of my hip issues and I feel stronger running now. No little blue pills needed. Worked for me, your mileage will vary.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

JakeKnight

I knew that would get you. Pervs... no seriously here's my question. Anytime I'm running I always feel like I'm leaning forward way to much. I try to keep my body straight and inline but I just don't feel like it's working. Any tips tricks or hints? Thanks!
                    Are you sure this is a problem at all? To some degree, its arguably good form to be leaning forward, depending on what speed you're running; or as others have said, it might just be your natural gait and posture. Are you actually having problems? I mean - are you having pain in your back or hips? Does running hurt somewhere? Or do you just thinkyou lean forward? If I were you, I'd go find a coach - or at least an experienced runner - to actually watch you run. Maybe there is a problem, and if so - they'll be able to give you advice nobody here can, at least not without seeing you run. More importantly, the last thing you want to do is fix a problem that doesn't exist. If you try to mess with your form when nothing is wrong to start with, you could wind up in a whole world of hurt.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------