Decreasing pace and its effect on training (Read 1144 times)

A Saucy Wench

August 2005: Average week ~ 15-20 miles. Several "easy" runs at the 9:35 pace. HM Pace 9:40 Didnt run much in the way of 5K's but at best I would have done 28 minutes. Probably slightly over. Burned out a lot Slowed way way down for a long time. I wasn't intelligent enough to do it on my own, fortunately for me I got pregnant. While I didnt buy any of the "dont run" I used it as a good excuse to "run lazy" Plus I recruited a bunch of newbies to run with me so I went at their pace. Lots of 11 mm. Then took it slower and smarter when I came back. Aug 2007 - Average training pace 10-10:30 30 mpw very little speedwork 5K 24 Aug 2008 - Average training pace 9:45-10 ~ 50 mpw still not much speedwork 5K <23 i="" am="" usually="" slower="" than="" all="" my="" mcmillan="" training="" paces.="" at="" best="" a="" few="" times="" a="" week="" i="" strive="" for="" the="" slowest="" end="" of="" them.="" i="" have="" shaved="" tons="" of="" times="" of="" all="" my="" races.=""></23>
    3. Should I throw in speedwork once a week or just focus on increasing my mileage until I reach my goal mpw (25 - 30).
    My practice is to ramp mileage OR do speedwork. I lay off all speedwork if I am in a period of significantly increasing mileage. Then I hold mileage and add speedwork back in.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hawt and sexy

Slow down. Run more. Speedwork later. Like at 60 mpw or something add speedwork, until then just run. This is not rocket science, it's just running. It's not that hard, you just need dedication. Meh.

I'm touching your pants.

xor

60? If I waited until 60 mpw before I added a tempo run, I would have been slow as molasses. For a recreational runner, particularly one doing 5ks and 10ks, I'd say this number could be lower.

A Saucy Wench

60? If I waited until 60 mpw before I added a tempo run, I would have been slow as molasses. For a recreational runner, particularly one doing 5ks and 10ks, I'd say this number could be lower.
          I dunno, I got a lot faster doing long slow runs and nothing but and then throwing in a race now and then. This can be debated forever, but until the core fitness is there, I think you can gain a lot by running more. Now would I say 60 mpw? Not necessarily. A lot of people may never get there from simple time constraints. But I would believe that to a point if I had to pick between mileage and tempo...mileage rules every time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JakeKnight

I dunno, I got a lot faster doing long slow runs and nothing but and then throwing in a race now and then. This can be debated forever
            And isn't that the beauty of running? Somebody - Jeff maybe? - pointed out the other day how it all comes down an experiment of one. Me, I never believed all of the above ... until I noticed that every time I got in good marathon shape, I took 20 seconds off my 5k PR. Does that work for everybody? I dunno. But everybody should probably try it out and see for themselves.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

RedSoxFan

Anytime you run more miles, you're going to see improvement. If you're increasing your mileage, it's a good idea to do it on the slow side. To keep in touch with your speed, add in some striders a few times a week, with plenty of recovery between each rep. Once you've reached your desired mileage then add the speedwork. Like Jake, some of my 5K and 10K PR's have come in the middle of marathon training cycles. Lots of slow miles and nothing faster than marathon pace. Also striders a few days a week.

I run for Fried Chicken!

I'm another believer of running mileage and the speed will come. I started seriously running beginning of this year. I set a goal to run 100 miles a month. I started out running slow 12min miles but that was an easy pace for me. Every couple of weeks, I would speed up a little bit, on and on. Now, my easy pace is roughly a 10min mile. I recently ran a 5k in 24:30, that's under an 8min pace. Before the race, I never ran more than a mile faster than an 8min pace. This was all on barely any speedwork. I did some faster runs here and there but about 98% of my runs were just a slow easy pace for me. As a relative newbie myself, I think us beginners worry about speedwork too much. I read all this stuff on tempo runs and interval runs and it all sounds really exciting. But realistically, I think just building a big base at this point of my running life is much more beneficial than trying to sharpen what little base I have.
                Purdey

Self anointed title

(obviously if you run 100 miles a day, youll be dead and flat, so there is a limit)
                  24hrs 100miles £10,000