2014 Gardening Thread (Read 186 times)

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Came scarily close to a frost last night!!  Predicted 30's at night all week here.  My transplants really need to go into the ground but that won't happen this week.

Leah, mother of dogs

Prince of Fatness

Frost is a possibility where I am but unlikely.  We use Mother's Day as a guide but it is more of a sure thing toward the end of May.

Got a lot done over the weekend.  Went to the local greenhouse and got some annuals for around the house.  Those are planted.  Also got some peppers and tomatoes and planted them in my garden.  Put string bean seeds in pots on the deck (deer eat those too when planted in the garden).

Lettuce and spinach that we planted on the deck have all come up and are doing well.  All of the potatoes have come up.  Some will need mulching next weekend.  The lawn is going nuts ... had to double cut it again this weekend.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

My Yukon Gold potato plants are dieing off so I dug some up over the weekend.  Some were eaten and some were used to brew a cream ale.  They were tasty as always.  Yields aren't so hot but I will take it.  Hopefully the other varieties will do a bit better.

The lettuce that we had growing on the porch did well.  String beans, not so much.  I just planted some squash this past weekend.  I have some peppers growing, and quite a few green tomatoes but very few ripe ones yet,

Our local farm stand is selling Jersey corn so it won't be long before their own corn is ready.  It is delicious.

Not at it at all. 

Village people

The potatoes sound good and I think we have local corn around. Last year it was good but the year before it was hit or miss.

I have harvested lettuce a few times for salad and it is really tasty. My tomatoes are going kind of crazy and kind of took a beating in some thunderstorms. I will have plenty of tomatoes and peppers. I think I have brussel sprouts coming. The plants are huge and I think I am seeing little sprouts. The celery is looking good and I am anxious to have some fresh onions.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

DJJan, do you ever have insect problems on your Brussels sprouts?  There is some kind of green worm going after mine.  I have been using Dipel on the plant (organic microbial insecticide) but it doesn't seem to be preventing it.  I think the worms are going after all the nice tender baby growth, so I have big plants but no sprouts.  Just wondering if you have a secret weapon.

Leah, mother of dogs

Village people

This is my first year trying brussel sprouts. No sign if bugs but something has been munching on my basil. I could probably google it but I would rather be surprised. One of the guys at the gas station told me to take off the sprouts at the bottom when the come. Those ones get tough. IDK?

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

It might be Japanese beetles on your basil.  The beetles are crazy bad here this year.  They are really going after my pole beans and blueberries.  I've been taking a plastic cup half full of water and flicking them off my plants into the cup.  Then I let the chickens dispatch them.  Anyway, my dad complains of the beetles eating his basil so he put a sheer cloth cover over it.  They leave my basil alone, but I think it's only because they prefer to eat bean leaves.

Good luck with your sprouts!

Leah, mother of dogs

Village people

I have kicked some beetles off my plants. They aren't as bad as they have been in previous years. A couple years ago they nearly killed one of my peach trees.

flatland mountaineer

DJJan, do you ever have insect problems on your Brussels sprouts?  There is some kind of green worm going after mine.  I have been using Dipel on the plant (organic microbial insecticide) but it doesn't seem to be preventing it.  I think the worms are going after all the nice tender baby growth, so I have big plants but no sprouts.  Just wondering if you have a secret weapon.

Dipel uses BT to change pH in the larval gut. It is the "toxin" in BT crops the anti gmo'ers love to hate. Personally I would use a synthetic pyrethrin like this http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld5FT021.pdf but you need at least a private applicators license to buy. Surely there is a similar diluted product homeowners could buy at your local garden center. It is very safe with short pre harvest intervals.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Village people

We had snow last week today is beautiful and I am getting my

bed ready. I skipped my garden last year and regretted it.

What is everyone planning?

Prince of Fatness

We had snow last week today is beautiful and I am getting my

bed ready. I skipped my garden last year and regretted it.

What is everyone planning?

I had forgotten about the gardening threads.

With each year it seems that the critter problems are worse for me.  Groundhogs, deer, rabbits, and voles.  Last year I lost at least a quarter of my potato yield to voles.  Effers go down underground and gnaw at them.  The voles have really been a problem since the town got rid of all of the feral cats that we had running around.

Anyway, everything is late this year.  I haven't even cut my grass yet .. probably this weekend.  Potatoes went in this past weekend.  Between being busy and crappy weather I'm several weeks late with that.  We bought a planter box for the deck and seeded some lettuce in there.  A bunch has germinated but we're a ways from picking any yet.

Mother's Day weekend is usually when folks around here plant cold sensitive stuff.  So around then I'll think about some squash, beans, and tomatoes.

Not at it at all. 

Joann Y

New house means a season of being patient and trying to do as little as possible. Poking around with a hot cup of coffee. Observing the light patterns, weather, taking note of what has already been established, coming up with plans. Dreaming.

I haven't even cut my grass yet ..

does not compute

I've cut my lawn three times in the last 7 days

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Feeling the growl again

Cut the lawn once.  Or rather, the wife did, because I'm too over-worked to mow it the last couple years.

Which pretty much reflects the state o my gardening.  Late year but haven't bought any seeds or done anything yet.  Last year most of what went in was neglected.

I miss a well maintained garden....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

I miss a well maintained garden....

It does take up a lot of time, especially keeping the weeds at bay.  If you don't keep up on it on a regular basis all of the sudden you are left with an overwhelming mess.  I need to start going out for an hour after dinner during the week every so often so that my weekends aren't overloaded with chores.  Easier said than done.

does not compute

I've cut my lawn three times in the last 7 days

I was going to cut my lawn this weekend but now I may not.  I don't think that I've ever gone into May without doing it, so I'll wait until next week.  I'll get the mower running this weekend, though.  I am usually one of the last holdouts in the spring anyway.  I don't like using a lot of chemicals on the lawn and have found that letting it get high and lush in the spring prevents annual weed seeds (like crabgrass) from germinating.

Not at it at all.