Skim Milk vs. Almond Milk (Read 336 times)

Prince of Fatness

Unhomogenized milk is not easy to find.

For real question.  Where do you find it?

Not at it at all. 

non-pasteurized milk isn't easy to find either:

http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/milk/grassmilk/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There are a couple local dairies that make unhomogenized whole milk available in our market, even at whole foods.

and I make yogurt and cheese, that's what I use.

Arimathea

Tessa

Almond and soy milk get stolen out of the office fridge less often. People don't seem to want to put either in their coffee.

I'd buy a gallon of nonfat milk, pour one cup on cereal, put it in the fridge, and come back the next day to find it at least half gone. I grew tired of providing milk for the office. I now leave a quart of soymilk in the fridge and nobody seems to help him/herself to any. So, soymilk it is. Almond has very little protein.

My eldest son used to catch every cold and illness he came across - he was absent from school every other week, there was always something. Then his soccer trainer told me to switch from homogenized milk to raw milk. Luckily we have a "milk-o-mat" just minutes from here and we have been using raw milk for a year and a half now and what do you know - the kid hasn't been ill at all since then. Of course it is possible that he just grew out of it or something, but I believe the transition from the totally processed milk to the totally natural one (the cows graze outside and the milkomat is located just next to the stable) surely helped.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Almond and soy milk get stolen out of the office fridge less often. People don't seem to want to put either in their coffee.

Just buy real milk and label in "Breast Milk".  Unless you work in day-care, that won't vanish either.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

bap

I'll come clean.

I'm health conscious but I love milk - 1% unless I'm actively trying lose weight in which case I drink fat free.

I can't get enough milk. It's a great recovery drink with protein, carbs and sodium.

I drink the crap pasteurized, homogenized, steroidized crap, because I figure I've been drinking it for 50 years now, and I'm still healthy.

I think I'm going to grab a drink of milk now.

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

bap

I've run out of milk.

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

CT JEFF

Wow. Lots of posts. So little information.

Skim milk often has milk protiens added to it. Ever notice how blueish skim milk looks? Well producers didnt like it either, so they added crap back to it. Milk itself coming from a cow, just seems weird to some people. Take out the machine and you are sucking on a cow's teet. But ok, I guess thats natural to some adults. Humans are the only species that drink from mammory glands as an adult, and the only ones who choose to find another mammal to suckle all their lives. And then there is the fact that you have cow skin cells, and trace antibiotics that the cows were given. As for "this is all that is listed". Thats nice but the dairy industry has also applied to start adding aspertane to milk without the scary side effect of having to label it because they "want more kids to drink milk".

I also agree with Trent. The further we process, peel and strip our foods, the less likely they are healthy. If you think back 20 yrs, they made white bread pretty standard. They stripped the wheat, bleached it and ended up with crap so devoid of nutrients, they had to add some back in. Now, most people know that "whole grain" is a much healthier option. Take that same information forward. Does it make sense to you to squeeze an apple, boil away its water content, then add water and stabilizers and call it 100% apple juice? Know whats 100% apple juice? Juice that comes out of a friggin apple !

All that said, there isnt a lot of definitive proof milk is bad for you. Or that it is good for you. Some states sell RAW milk. CT does. It costs about $8 a gallon and you have to plan ahead. It lasts about 10 days in the fridge but the state requires it to be sold much sooner. There are a ton of regulations, so unless there is a demand, even if your state allows it, you may never find it.

I have a son who is lactose intolerant. We have had soy, almond, rice, coconut milks in the house as well as skim, whole, raw for other family members at times. I have weaned myself off milk 100% for a week. Its in more things that you realize. I still like the taste of whole milk, and cheese and cream for coffee and at times ice cream. I just put dairy in a category like SUGAR now. I'll ingest some here and there, but we dont buy gallons of the stuff.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

bhearn

mikeymike

Wow. Lots of words. So little information.

Thanks for the forewarning.

Runners run

delicate flower

Almond and coconut milk has allowed me to have a bowl of cereal again.  Nobody wants to be around me an hour after I drink cow's milk.  NOBODY.  

Almond Breeze almond/coconut blend is my "milk" of choice.  And it certainly lasts a lot longer than dairy milk.

<3

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

RunNow

. Humans are the only species that drink from mammory glands as an adult, and the only ones who choose to find another mammal to suckle all their lives.

we're also the only species that drinks Harvey Wallbangers, wears Axe body spray, and takes gross pics of our feet.

what's your point, brah?

we're also the only species that drinks Harvey Wallbangers, wears Axe body spray, and takes gross pics of our feet.

what's your point, brah?

He was just adding to his opening statement of  "Wow. Lots of posts. So little information."