RA Update (Jan 11) (Read 1691 times)

eric :)

short version: If your forums page looks messed up, try forcing a reload to bring in the new style sheet changes. Hi guys, I just uploaded my latest batch of fixes and changes. If I indicated that the problem you encountered will be fixed by end of this weekend, then it should be fixed now. Obviously, I can't fix all the problems at once so I'll continue to work at them. I also made some changes to reduce the database load. Hopefully it will make the server more responsive. This is only a temporary solution. As more users join, the server will not be able to handle the load. The next step would be to add another server to the site. I rearranged the forum pages a little. The administration board is moved to below the "All About Running" board since the latter is more relevant to everyone. I also added a recent post listing. During testing, one of the machines was very responsive with this addition but another is not. This is experiment. That means if it places too much strain on the database, I will have to remove it. Also included in this update are several server parameter changes. The server is cranking away right now with these changes so the pages may come up slower. Things should return to normal after the server settles down. eric :-)

Oh Mighty Wing

Thank you for all of your work!

A Saucy Wench

Am I the only one who can barely read the forums right now?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hello, that recent posts sidebar on the main forums page is HELLA COOL! Thanks, Eric! Cool

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hello, that recent posts sidebar on the main forums page is HELLA COOL! Thanks, Eric! Cool
            Sorry. I had to take it out temporarily. It's slowing things down. I'll have to use a different method of displaying it. It's trivial to do, just time consuming. I'll get it done either tonight or tomorrow night.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sorry. I had to take it out temporarily. It's slowing things down. I'll have to use a different method of displaying it. It's trivial to do, just time consuming. I'll get it done either tonight or tomorrow night.
              No hurry...but for the brief time that I saw it I really like the concept. Big grin The new fonts are nice, too. Seem crisper... Smile

~ Sarah Kay

No hurry...but for the brief time that I saw it I really like the concept. Big grin The new fonts are nice, too. Seem crisper... Smile
                The forum pages should be snappier now because the database is doing a lot less work now. The beauty is that when the forum pages take less time to load, the log in turn will also be faster. I changed the fonts on a whim. I was watching some PBS documentary Thursday night as I was working on optimizing the forum pages. What was it documenting? The history of Helvetica. I was like, that's it! I'm convinced so here we are Tongue

A Saucy Wench

OK....so I am guessing at this point it IS just me. Firefox 3.0.5 For the last hour or so the format of all the forums has been virtually unreadable. All the lines, shading, spacing is basically gone.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK....so I am guessing at this point it IS just me. Firefox 3.0.5 For the last hour or so the format of all the forums has been virtually unreadable. All the lines, shading, spacing is basically gone.
                    It was doing that on my end briefly...and I'm on a Mac with Safari, so it's not a browser/platform issue. What happens if you clear your cache? For me it remedied itself automatically.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Using both firefox 3.0.5 and IE, the formatting was off for awhile, but seems better now (although the new font will take some getting used to). However, this is only true for the regular forum area. In the user groups area, the message boards seem to be formatted differently. After the avatar, there's a whole mess o' white space and then the actual message appears below this space. As it is not like this in the forums area, I'm thinking it might be an ooops.

A Saucy Wench

OK...I shut everything down and it came back. And now I see it the way srlopez does. OK here, still kind of messed up in the user groups. I gotta say, not too big of a fan of the new font. Very hard on my old eyes.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I gotta say, not too big of a fan of the new font. Very hard on my old eyes.
                          It seems maybe a tad smaller than the previous font. Eric, can you bump it up a point or two in size, at least for the actual posts text?

~ Sarah Kay

OK...I shut everything down and it came back. And now I see it the way srlopez does. OK here, still kind of messed up in the user groups. I gotta say, not too big of a fan of the new font. Very hard on my old eyes.
                            Can you get me a screen shot of this? I'm still thinking that some of your cached files stale. Kirsten: get me a screen shot of the small font in Safari. I checked with IE and FF and they both look ok. The font is actually 1 point larger than the previous one so I'm not sure why it appears smaller for you.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here you go, Eric...you can see the weird post layout in the user groups, too--with avatars above posts, instead of to the left:

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Yes, that is also my experience in firefox and IE... and after dumping my cache and doing a little rain dance. Only in user groups, not in the regular forum area. Edited to add: as for the font, it is definitely *different*. I don't think it is smaller... it appears to be kerned differently (as in, more smashed together). I think this is one of those things that we'll probably adjust to.