Hamstring Soreness (Read 1619 times)

Several years ago (2001 or 2002) I attempted to sprint to the house in a bad T-Storm on a HOT MUGGY day after an hour + drive in a cool airconditioned truck. My right ham objected about half way to the house and I slid the rest of the distance! I was black and blue from the back of my knee to my butt cheek for about 10 days. Earlier this week that right ham started getting sore right behind the knee. This morning that soreness has moved up about 1/2 to 3/4 from there. The back of the knee feels fine now. Because of the first injury I make sure I strech and I pay careful attention to my hamstrings Once I felt what was what I call pain this morning however it was not bad, just more of what the hell was that? So anyone have some advise? Am I over thinking this?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

mikeymike

I don't think you're overthinking it. Hamstrings can be a real problem, especially as we get older. I've been pretty lucky with my hammy's but I've got friends who've battled hamstring strains/pulls for months on end. So you really need to be careful with it. When you were black & blue you probably had a slight tear, which is bad news. If you were running then it would have sidelined you for a while. Those can take a long time to heal. Here's what I've learned: -If your hamstrings are tight or sore, avoid running fast until they are better. -Ice (at night) and ibuprofen can help. -running on snow or slipper surfaces will definitely aggravate your hammys. Try to find better footing and if you have to run on snow, go slow. -Don't stretch your hamstrings if they hurt, this can make them worse. Unless you are doing some really gentle "active" stretching. -Always warm up well. I realize this can be near impossible this time of year. -Stay hydrated. This is another opportunity for me to tout the virtues of doing "strides" or "striders" at least once every 10 days if not more. I try to do strides 2 x per week. These are just short (usually 20-30 seconds) bursts of speed with full recoveries in between. They are done not quite at sprinting speed but pretty fast. DON'T do strides when your hamstrings are sore or tight, but once it heals and feels normal, doing them once in a while will keep your hamstrings strong and loose so you will have fewer issues going forward. Good luck with it.

Runners run

I was not a runner back then. I was a fat old slug!! That hammy hurt like hell for months. I found a new respect for people that can ply b-ball with a pulled hammy!!! Been on my feet here at work and while it still feels tight it is much better than this morning. I run 2 miles tonight then a day off with a 20 min out and 20 min back group training run Sat. If all I run is 3 miles, that is OK. Still 13 weeks to the HM and plenty of time to train

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire