Poor Health, Returning to running (Read 1339 times)

jayskydee

Please do not slag me but when I was ill with a serious illness I had taken up running (obviously i did not know i had an illness).

Anyway someone rather rudely insulted my 10 minute mile PB, which I now know was no where near full potential of myself, in course of treatment for illness, I had some lung damaged ( I dunno the percentage but its probably quite small). Can I still become a good runner once I am fit and recovered? I am not going to ask the intangible questions but would 5 minute miles ever be possible even if thats my flat out pace for one mile? Right now my goal is to run 3 miles in 30 minutes.

I have wii sports etc and fit plus, they are teaching me new and different exercises to do and does any one on here swear by cross training? Such as different activities from running? I also buy women's trainers as mens are too long for me and my ankles are very narrow and I overprotonate and I have a high instep (all more femine quality of feet). I have two pairs of Gel 1160 trainers, one of which looks and feels better than the other, I have a pair of gel foundation 10 trainers and another Asics trainers (which are better than one of the 1160 trainers but on par or slightly inferior to the second 1160 Gel trainers) I have neutral Nike trainers which hurt my shins so I only wear em for fashion now.  What is a better pair of trainers the Gel 1160 or the Gel Foundation 10 trainers? Is Kano trainers much better than all of my trainers and is my gear ok for a beginner? 

Ps what differences are there between male and female feet, I hear women overprotonate more cause of their wide hips but on account of men's shoes being too long, my ankles being narrow, my instep high and my overprotonation being rated as just in the most severe category aren't women's trainer's actually perfect for my feet?

Ps I have pink ones too but ya don't notice it that much and I have nice red ones and nice blue ones which look masculine enough to me. 

Final Ps I am 7st 12 and trying to gain weight, I am 5 ft 3.5 and male. Size 5.5 or sometimes a 6 in women's trainers. Definately too small feet for the men's range. 

jayskydee

Some answers would be nice, its a serious question, I see no reason why, as an overprotonator, and narrow feet, how a women's shoe could be worse for me than a man's shoe which is too wide, too long and designed for neutral runners.

Please do not slag me but when I was ill with a serious illness I had taken up running (obviously i did not know i had an illness).

Anyway someone rather rudely insulted my 10 minute mile PB, which I now know was no where near full potential of myself, in course of treatment for illness, I had some lung damaged ( I dunno the percentage but its probably quite small). Can I still become a good runner once I am fit and recovered? I am not going to ask the intangible questions but would 5 minute miles ever be possible even if thats my flat out pace for one mile? Right now my goal is to run 3 miles in 30 minutes.

I have wii sports etc and fit plus, they are teaching me new and different exercises to do and does any one on here swear by cross training? Such as different activities from running? I also buy women's trainers as mens are too long for me and my ankles are very narrow and I overprotonate and I have a high instep (all more femine quality of feet). I have two pairs of Gel 1160 trainers, one of which looks and feels better than the other, I have a pair of gel foundation 10 trainers and another Asics trainers (which are better than one of the 1160 trainers but on par or slightly inferior to the second 1160 Gel trainers) I have neutral Nike trainers which hurt my shins so I only wear em for fashion now.  What is a better pair of trainers the Gel 1160 or the Gel Foundation 10 trainers? Is Kano trainers much better than all of my trainers and is my gear ok for a beginner? 

Ps what differences are there between male and female feet, I hear women overprotonate more cause of their wide hips but on account of men's shoes being too long, my ankles being narrow, my instep high and my overprotonation being rated as just in the most severe category aren't women's trainer's actually perfect for my feet?

Ps I have pink ones too but ya don't notice it that much and I have nice red ones and nice blue ones which look masculine enough to me. 

Final Ps I am 7st 12 and trying to gain weight, I am 5 ft 3.5 and male. Size 5.5 or sometimes a 6 in women's trainers. Definately too small feet for the men's range. 

Jay:

It's not that people are ignoring you--not a good time to respond (dinner time and, as for me, I'm trying out vegan lasagna for the first time!!).  Saw this post and my first thought was--I knew of a lady who had lung cancer and removed one whole lung (actually, 3 out of 5) and went on and finished Honolulu marathon in 4 hours.  It's not so much how much oxygen you have to "take in" in your lungs that matters.

I'll put more thought into this after dinner. ;o) 

Happy New Year, everybody!!

eric :)

Welcome back...

I, for one, hope that jayskydee doesn't leave us any time soon.  Stay gold, jayskydee.  Stay gold.

And whoever "rudely insulted" your 10 min mile PB deserves a smack upside the head. They're the one with the problem, not you.

Regarding shoes....in the old days, there were pretty much no differences between women's and men's shoes.

Now, there are very few differences.

If you pick a women's shoe, and it feels good, then wear it.  you can deal with the color issue.

Jeff

Feeling the growl again

And whoever "rudely insulted" your 10 min mile PB deserves a smack upside the head. They're the one with the problem, not you.

It was 7 minutes between the original post in this thread and the second one complaining that no one had responded.  There's a bit of history here...."welcome back", jay.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

keeponrunning

I was thinking the same thing as Spaniel.  You don't have the best history here, Jayskee.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

jayskydee

It was 7 minutes between the original post in this thread and the second one complaining that no one had responded.  There's a bit of history here...."welcome back", jay.

OK but if your not going to answer my question, now backed up with a little research, then look at other threads. OR I WILL JUST PISS OF TO A FORUM THAT ACTUALLY KNOWS THE ANSWER or who can have a good stab at it.

Feeling the growl again

OR I WILL JUST PISS OF TO A FORUM

Sounds like a winner to me.  Based on your past behavior, I wouldn't expect people to feel the need to spend their time doing your research for you.

MTA:  I read your last post 3 times and still can't understand it.  If you want people to answer your questions, I suggest a) treating people with a little respect and refraining from cursing at them, and b) learn to write is coherent English.  Have a GREAT day.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

L Train

b) learn to write is coherent English. 

I'm sorry, I can't help myself.  I know you are probably just sleep deprived. 

Feeling the growl again

I'm sorry, I can't help myself.  I know you are probably just sleep deprived. 

Ha.  Yes.  However a misspelled word =/= consistently terrible grammar.

Wonder why in both posts, he starts off with a different issue, but the one he want answered is if it's OK to wear Women's shoes.  Any psycho analysts here?

#artbydmcbride

jayskydee, it is perfectly okay to wear running shoes that best fit your feet, if that means women's shoes that is perfectly okay.  Smile

Other question, 5 minute miles?  No

Runners run

5 minute miles might be possible at some point, but that heavily depends on your age, physical condition, but most importantly, your capacity and willingness to put in a lot of hard work.  Every fast runner had to start somewhere, and if you stick with it and consistently put in the miles and speedwork for several years you might be able to (even if you don't get to 5-minutes, a 6-8 minute mile is still nothing to be ashamed of).

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles