Numb, painful, stiff toes after hammer toe surgery (Read 33 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

My husband has had hammertoe surgery (second and third toe) about 1.5 years ago, and it seems those toes are now worse than they were before the operation. He has pain when walking, and even at rest. The pain is located at the base joint (metatarsal head/base of toe) of the toes. The toes are both stiff and numb, they can't be bent at all, not even "passively". According to the surgeon, this is perfectly normal. Shocked

Anyone experience with hammertoe surgery and the aftermath?

Run for fun.

bigkenny

From my son the podiatrist: "I can't really say for sure if it's normal because it's largely dependent on the type of procedure they did, what kind of hammer-toe deformity he had to begin with and what the underlying etiology was, post-op care, and what his activity level was before the surgery. There's many different causes of hammertoes and each different cause has its own preferred method to correct them. Without knowing the history I have know way of saying for sure. But stiff and painful toe joints is a common complication, and its one the surgeon should have told them there was a risk for before they agreed to the elective surgery."

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thank you for the info, good to know it is a somewhat common complication, even if it does not help. DH will have to keep following up with the surgeon, and perhaps find something that will improve his condition.

Run for fun.