Aliens in my calves (Read 128 times)

Member Since 2008

I've built my weekly mileage up to 47 miles per week.  Once I crossed the 40 miles per week mark, the muscles in my calves have twitched uncontrollably nonstop.  Why, is this an issue and if it is, what can be done to stop it?  It's like I have aliens in my calves, trying to get out.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Foam roller excises the demons in your calf.  You doing that?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

perhaps the extra miles caused the eggs to hatch?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Member Since 2008

No foam rolling but I will start

Rolling seems to be better than stretching for me. You can also get a wood rolling pin and work your muscles while sitting.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Seattle prattle

caffeine can be a contributing cause, so in the case you're drinking a mess o' espresso you might try drinking a little less so.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Have you had any missing time?

Have you been seeing a lot of  owls?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've had aliens in my calves constantly.  I don't feel them at all, but if I sit or lie down and stare at my calves, they're there.  So far, they seem benevolent.

Mr MattM

I don't ordinarily recommend supplements because they are typically a waste of money.  In this case, however, if the problem still exists try a magnesium supplement for a few days and see if it goes away.  If it does, take the supplement for a couple of weeks, then over other day for a couple of weeks, then stop.

be curious; not judgmental

Foam Roll will help....

AND a Deep Massage (daily).    Take a Tennis Ball and place it on a 2 inch thick book to elevate it a little off the ground.   Sit down and place the fat portion of the calves down on the tennis ball and roll it around (make it hurt a little).........do each side 2x1 minute before and after your run........and if you think of it in the evening too.....

Will work wonders for calves.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Have you heard of benign fasciculation syndrome?   I have it, with it appearing most otten, like you, in my calves.  After runs, they sometimes look like I have chipmunks in them trying to claw their way out.

The triggers for it are unknown, and it's really harmless, if that's what you have.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

yes to foam rollers.   be careful if never used before as you can do additional damage.  like anything else start out easy & slowly build up-time & pressure.   how about compression sleeves in addiltion to rollers & gentle massage?  they have helped me.

roman_the_runner

Run, boy, run

Have you been discovering any ancient egyptian tombs with a buch of black bugs by any chance?