So I went out for a gentle 5 miler (Read 1264 times)

I had a similar problem once (quite a few years ago).....I was in the army and stationed in Germany.....and had to go to Heidelburg for meetings. From my room I decided to go for my normaly run (3 or 4 miles) and took off down the road....but after a some time, i turned back and missed a turn and got lost somewhre in Heidelburg. I must have run back and forth and up and down for at least 10 miles or more before I finally came to an intersection that I recognezed and managed to get back to my room.......Its not fun.........I feel for you..

Champions are made when no one is watching

The voice of mile 18

wow did you have anything to eat? I'd be bonking pretty bad at that point. guinness would have done nicely at that point. I miss phil too, you may remember him as troy mcclure from such movies as "the fighting quaker"

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Chris UK

.....Having got lost in the woods. Horribly lost. In the end I stumbled (almost literally) across a country pub, miles away from anywhere....
        The opening sequence to 'An American Werewolf in London' flashed through my mind here. You were lucky. Black eye Did anyone ask "Be you local?" Wink

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Purdey, how to you know it was a 16-miler? Just a guess, or did you have a Garmin? Because those things have a "return to start" feature under the navigation menu for morons like you situations like this.
          D'oh!!
          And who am I anyway?
          Just another fat jogger, evidently.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Great story - congrats on longest 5 miler I've ever heard of Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Purdey, how to you know it was a 16-miler? Just a guess, or did you have a Garmin? Because those things have a "return to start" feature under the navigation menu for morons like you situations like this.
              Knowing where I came out onto a road (ie where I found the pub). I was then able to ascertain which trails I had taken to get there, and of course, then knew my route from the pub back to work. From there it was a simple case of using one of the many route mapping websites (eg this one (!)) to work out that I had run 16 miles. Moron But good point and thanks for asking. Wink

seeEricaRun

Awesome

That just verifies the dangers of trail and woodland running. I'll keep sticking to the asphalt and run through the inner city during luch. Its safer.
                Doesn't make a difference to me, I get lost in the city like this all the time. I'm a moron.