Stinky clothes (Read 359 times)

I am pretty much like a flower.

Of course.  The ol' Rafflesia Arnoldii.  I'm sure your cloths smell great.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Joann Y

Of course.  The ol' Rafflesia Arnoldii.  

Wouldn't be surprising.

I must not be running enough. My running cloths only smell right after I wear them. I let them dry out before putting them in the laundry basket, never wear those stupid technical fabric shirts that are like wearing plastic bags, and never use fabric softener. No problems. Maybe it's my delicate feminine nature. I am pretty much like a flower.

+1 to most of this. However I do wear the plastic-bag shirts. And delicate feminine nature is up for debate.

Dave

Liberty Runner

Polyester and polyester blends dominate the market.  One of the side effects of this fabric is the smell associated with it after running.  Wool and polypropylene seem to do better and both wick moisture well.

I'm a functional person and don't spend a lot of money on name brands.  Polyester from one vendor is the same elsewhere.  So I buy apparel from the on sale clothes rack.  Some of the big names have anti microbial additives but I can justify the $30.00 for them.

My family kindly points out how I smell after my morning runs.  I solve this problem with placing my apparel in a plastic pan and take it to the shower.  I fill it and add vinegar then soak while I finish.  I add a little clarifying shampoo and prewash then squeeze the water off the clothes.  When done, I toss in the washer, add other clothes and add small amount of vinegar.

I hang up on wood frame drying rack I built that folds over the tub.  The clothes dry out and no smell.  UltraViolet light also eliminates the smell.  Just hang on deck railing for a few hours.

NorthNorthwest

Totally agree that letting everything dry before putting it in the hamper does wonders. Technically, sweat is odorless. It's the bacteria that smells. (or so I've read) So sooner it dries out, the less bacteria/stink gets created. Wool or good quality tech materials will dry out quickest. My running clothes hamper is in a spare shower so I hang on the curtain rod to dry. But you could hang in a basement or other out of the way space.

I use Tide with Febreze Sport and have always had good experience. I use half the recommended dose and it works great - I used to work in that industry, and the stuff is crazy concentrated...a little goes a long way. I'm sure other sport washes or homemade concoctions could be great, but I've just never tried them.

Note: I'm a sweaty, stink dude who is prone to meat sweats and does his hardest training in sticky, humid, midwest summers. I even find a way to sweat in sub-zero temps with minimal clothing. I wear my running clothes to threads...sweet, odorless threads.

I do hang my stuff up to dry when I get home. However on weekdays, by that point they have been balled up in my gym bag in the trunk of my car for 10-12 hours. Thus giving the bacteria plenty of time to grow and raise families, so, pretty stinky. But still no problem after washing in regular detergent. I originally had the idea to hang them to dry in my car while I'm at work. But I would come back to the car at the end of the day, and it was like that episode of Seinfeld. Bad idea.

For those of you who swim, the chlorine smell is a whole other thing.

Dave

Since running shorts and shirts literally last decades, I don't mind spending more on them if I really like them. The anti-microbial stuff is good, but seems to lose it's power after a year or so.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying