GPS Advice (Read 1089 times)

I've Got Worms!

I have to share a Garmin 305 with my DW, and I am looking for a 2nd GPS for us to use during the races we both run.  She always gets the GPS because she does the run/walk and needs the interval timer.  I really hate running without one, especially during a race!  I would like suggestions for an inexpensive GPS.  It looks like the Garmin 110 and 210 might be good, but I really wish I had bought a second 305 a year ago when they were around $125 on sale.  Does anyone have a 110 or 210 that loves or hates it?

Thanks!

No advice here on the 110 or 210, but I have the 205 and like it. It's basically the 305 minus the HRM. You can probably find a good deal on one.

I've Got Worms!

Believe it or not, the 205 is more now than the 110.  There are some deals on used 405s though.

Oh, wow--I had no idea!

I highly recommend the 210. Great watch. I went from the 305 to the 210 and was very happy with it. Doesn't have some of the bells & whistles but it is a very dependable watch that gets signal fairly quickly. 

Running my way to being a little less fat.

Hoban-Jay

205 works great for me.  Has everything I want/need and more.

Wing

Joggaholic

Believe it or not, the 205 is more now than the 110.  There are some deals on used 405s though.

I have the 405 and I dislike the touchy bevel thingie. Given a choice I probably would prefer those models without that "feature". I got the 405 on the cheap so I'm not really complaining Smile

Prince of Fatness

I highly recommend the 210. Great watch. I went from the 305 to the 210 and was very happy with it. Doesn't have some of the bells & whistles but it is a very dependable watch that gets signal fairly quickly. 

I bought the 210 as a result of my inquiry in this thread and agree with what is said here.

I have used it for close to three months and my only complaint is having to hit three buttons to turn it off.  You hold down one button and a confirmation screen comes up.  That screen defaults to "No", so I have to press a button to toggle to "Yes", then another to execute the shut down.  To me it makes more sense to default to "Yes" since 99 out 100 times that is the answer.

Not at it at all. 

xor

What has been your experience with the 210's battery life?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I haven't done much testing simply because I don't run many ultras, but in my experience it will last for a 50K but not further.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Prince of Fatness

Well, right now I am a broken down fat slob and am not running that much.  They advertise 8 hours in training mode.  I cannot confirm that, and have not ever gotten low enough for a message to be displayed.  I think that I have gone at least 4 hours running without charging it.  I have not charged it in a while.  If I remember I will download what is on there now and post here how much time I used and how many bars are left on the display.  I'll do that this evening.

Another thing about the 210.  You cannot delete all of your runs at one time through the watch menus.  You can only delete one at a time.  However, when you connect to your PC it appears as a thumb drive so you can navigate to the directory where the runs are stored (they are FIT files) and delete them all at once there.  That's what I do.

Not at it at all. 

xor

Does it use the dumbass ANT stick?

As for this...

>> it will last for a 50K but not further.

Heh.  I have run some 50ks in 4:25.  Others closer to 8:00.  Courses vary.  I have midpack-y friends with 110s (no one with a 210) who have trouble making their batteries last for a marathon or 50k.

Prince of Fatness

Does it use the dumbass ANT stick?

No, it uses a clamp like thingy that has 4 connection points to the watch.  Not as easy to use as a cradle IMO, but you charge using that connected either via USB to your PC or to a regular wall outlet.

Not at it at all. 

3 of my coworkers now use the 210.  They are all happy with the watch. (I'm still using a 305 I bought two years ago).  I think the 210 best value out there now.

There are cheaper options though (110, Timex Marathon) - if you can live with the flaws.  Try www.rainmaker.com for in depth reviews.

Good luck!

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Not good. I prefer the 205 or the 305. The best part of the 210 is the screen contrast. When there's an auto lap split, I can actually read it while running.